TEAM SHELBY FORUM

3M Carbra on my 2012 500

victor24

3M has more orange peel than Ventureshield Ultra. Another film that is newer is the Avery Denison nanofusion, which replaces their previous version that had issues with yellowing, etc. and has been reported to be a very good upgrade from its predecessor.

I had Ventureshield Ultra put on my car because my installer had used it for years and has done over 600 Vipers and 'Vettes and never once had to warranty an install.

Subscribing - The 3M has Orange Peel because it is painted with a clear-coat. The Ventureshield doesn't...which will make waxing/polishing any minor scratches not possible. I have been contemplating this install on my 2011, but am concerned with ANY of the products on my stripes for fear they will rip off once the time comes to replace the clearbra. Curious to know what insight others can provide as well.

Subscribing - The 3M has Orange Peel because it is painted with a clear-coat. The Ventureshield doesn't...which will make waxing/polishing any minor scratches not possible. I have been contemplating this install on my 2011, but am concerned with ANY of the products on my stripes for fear they will rip off once the time comes to replace the clearbra. Curious to know what insight others can provide as well.

You might like this:

http://www.automotivearticles.com/Clear_Bra_3M.shtml

Lets put it this way, 3M bought Venture shield for a reason. As to fixing it, damage can be fixed. It requires a heat-gun and some talent. No big for a good installer. Better yet, just replace whatever part is messed up. Shouldn't run more than $50-100 per "part" unless it's a full fender/hood wrap.

I don't see anywhere that says 3M has a clearcoat on it. I know Ventureshield has an "outer" glossy layer in the "ultra" line. I would not get the regular VS. Go with Ultra if you go with it.

do not listen to anyone who DOES NOT HAVE 3M ON THERE CAR, that said, i have it on my 2010 grabber blue 500, had it done 2 months after dilivery of my car , in august it will be 2 years , i had it done at a shop thats been doing it for years, they do 99% of all porsches,and excotics in long island, i had it done on the complete hood no stripes ,complete bumper, no stripes, if you put it on the stripes then you will get orange peel, thats why i did not put it on it, the lights have a thicker 3m, its on the a pillars, mirriors, behind front wheel, in front of rear wheels ,and on the fenders there is no yellowing, no orange peel, and Most of all NO PAINT CHIPS FROM STONES if it is done from a shop that knows what they doing there should be no problem ,that other product mentioned in the previous post i am not sure if its pre-cut or not, my was not ,all hand cut , not that it matters ,but my coverage is complete , i would say do it you cant get better protection . as for waxing and polishing the 3m ,i have waxed my car at least 100 times ( a little crazy but thatst how i keep my car ) and the 3m is as new as from it was installed ,

do not listen to anyone who DOES NOT HAVE 3M ON THERE CAR, that said, i have it on my 2010 grabber blue 500, had it done 2 months after dilivery of my car , in august it will be 2 years , i had it done at a shop thats been doing it for years, they do 99% of all porsches,and excotics in long island, i had it done on the complete hood no stripes ,complete bumper, no stripes, if you put it on the stripes then you will get orange peel, thats why i did not put it on it, the lights have a thicker 3m, its on the a pillars, mirriors, behind front wheel, in front of rear wheels ,and on the fenders there is no yellowing, no orange peel, and Most of all NO PAINT CHIPS FROM STONES if it is done from a shop that knows what they doing there should be no problem ,that other product mentioned in the previous post i am not sure if its pre-cut or not, my was not ,all hand cut , not that it matters ,but my coverage is complete , i would say do it you cant get better protection . as for waxing and polishing the 3m ,i have waxed my car at least 100 times ( a little crazy but thatst how i keep my car ) and the 3m is as new as from it was installed ,

Hand-cut has advantages and disadvantages. If you go with someone who doesn't know what they are doing, you will end up with sliced up paint. This happened A LOT before pre-formed kits became popular.

Another advantage of the pre-formed kit is if it gets dinged up, just replace one piece.

Disadvantages are that it doesn't look as good up close, and the coverage is more like 97% instead of 100%.

Most wraps can be had pre-cut or in 60" roll form for custom wrapping.

3M is good stuff except that it does have more orange peel than the newer films, but some installers don't like it (most prefer one over the other brand, not that there is a "special" reason they don't like 3M. They just have preferences). I believe that you should pick and installer and then let them pick the film. Every film is a little different in how you apply it and the installer will do best with the film he is used to regarding how far it can be stretched, shrunk, etc. If you pick a good installer who knows their stuff, you will end up with a good product as well.

Careful with wax. Some waxes CAN cause yellowing. Most installers will recommend a paint-sealer type of product like Rejex that is not paraffin based.

*As a side note, was out driving today and the$50 piece of film I had put on my leading roof edge just paid for itself. Dunno what happened, but it has a ripple in it where something smacked the hell out of it. Layed back down pretty good with a little work. Can't tell unless you are right up on it in the right light. Either way, paint is safe, and thats what matters to me. If the film needs replacing in 2 years because it's all dinged up, then it more than paid for itself!

jwg you are right the installer is key , the product choice like you said is up to you or any info you can gather, my installer from my knowledge always used 3m , i really did not have a choice ,thats what he has used, as far as had cut, if ithe installer does not do this process dont let him try on your car ,my car is garage kept like most of these cars so yellowing is not a problem for me, i am very pleased with the product and install ,who ever decides to install this product just make sure your installer experenced , my car took almost 2 days in his shop, if someone is going to do it in 2 hours get in your car and run

jwg you are right the installer is key , the product choice like you said is up to you or any info you can gather, my installer from my knowledge always used 3m , i really did not have a choice ,thats what he has used, as far as had cut, if ithe installer does not do this process dont let him try on your car ,my car is garage kept like most of these cars so yellowing is not a problem for me, i am very pleased with the product and install ,who ever decides to install this product just make sure your installer experenced , my car took almost 2 days in his shop, if someone is going to do it in 2 hours get in your car and run

Right on, except pre-fit kits can be done properly in 3-6 hours, depending on the amount of the car done. A custom wrap involves removing emblems/panels and does take time.

Since everyone seems to agree that "the installer is the key", does anyone have a recommendation for a good installer in San Francisco? Or possibly a website where installers & films are compared/ranked?

i had it done at a shop thats been doing it for years, they do 99% of all porsches,and excotics in long island

Sounds like Detailing Dynamics off Jericho Tpke...Yes? If so, I saw pics of your car in their office (on PC) as we were discussing my options. If I do go with the product, they will be my choice for installers. They keep their shop IMMACULATE and like you said work on some pretty exotic vehicles. Apparently, they were one of the first in our area to install the 3m product. It was them that told me the 3m has a clear coat on it...and not the Ventureshield. They also went on to tell me that 3m bought Ventureshield, etc....

"IF" you did get your car done at Detailing Dynamics - you may want to know that your car is nicknamed "The Smurf" by their crew...;)

Sounds like Detailing Dynamics off Jericho Tpke...Yes? If so, I saw pics of your car in their office (on PC) as we were discussing my options. If I do go with the product, they will be my choice for installers. They keep their shop IMMACULATE and like you said work on some pretty exotic vehicles. Apparently, they were one of the first in our area to install the 3m product. It was them that told me the 3m has a clear coat on it...and not the Ventureshield. They also went on to tell me that 3m bought Ventureshield, etc....

"IF" you did get your car done at Detailing Dynamics - you may want to know that your car is nicknamed "The Smurf" by their crew...;)

vito, thats funny you should say that about my cars nickname i just spoke with eddie on monday and he said thats what they called it, but i can tell you this when my car was in the shop almost 2 years ago being done , it was the car they where talking about because the color just came out ,and it is detailing dynamics, they are very good at what they do , not to crazy about that name i will have to call matt and set them straight lol

vito, thats funny you should say that about my cars nickname i just spoke with eddie on monday and he said thats what they called it, but i can tell you this when my car was in the shop almost 2 years ago being done , it was the car they where talking about because the color just came out ,and it is detailing dynamics, they are very good at what they do , not to crazy about that name i will have to call matt and set them straight lol

I would like to see your car and the way it came out...any regrets not doing the stripes on your car? Did you Clearbra the side stripes on the rockers? A few of us from FORDGT500.com are meeting at and around Eisenhower Park on 4/17/11. Care to join us? Hit me up with a PM if so.

Back to topic - has anyone installed over stripes/decals without issue(s) at time of removal/replacement?

I would like to see your car and the way it came out...any regrets not doing the stripes on your car? Did you Clearbra the side stripes on the rockers? A few of us from FORDGT500.com are meeting at and around Eisenhower Park on 4/17/11. Care to join us? Hit me up with a PM if so.

Back to topic - has anyone installed over stripes/decals without issue(s) at time of removal/replacement?

vito, no regrets for not doing the stripes, it would be like putting clearcoat on top of clearcoat then it would look like orange peel, when matt did my car it was his first 2010 shelby gt 500 so they made templetes for the 3m that they put behind the front wheels which covered the words gt 500 , it ended there its not on the door stripes but the 3m in front of the rear wheels and that small amount of stripe is also covered . I would like to join you guys on the 17th as long as the ground is dry , never drive the car in the rain ,here is my e-mail jpmarchini@aol.com contact me and i will give you my cell , i am thinking about putting the 3m on the stripes on the door because i might put the real carbon fiber rockers on to match the tru-carbon front splitter and rear carbon valance , i would then cover part of the carbon rockers

vito, no regrets for not doing the stripes, it would be like putting clearcoat on top of clearcoat then it would look like orange peel, when matt did my car it was his first 2010 shelby gt 500 so they made templetes for the 3m that they put behind the front wheels which covered the words gt 500 , it ended there its not on the door stripes but the 3m in front of the rear wheels and that small amount of stripe is also covered . I would like to join you guys on the 17th as long as the ground is dry , never drive the car in the rain ,here is my e-mail jpmarchini@aol.com contact me and i will give you my cell , i am thinking about putting the 3m on the stripes on the door because i might put the real carbon fiber rockers on to match the tru-carbon front splitter and rear carbon valance , i would then cover part of the carbon rockers

I'll touch base with you via email. Dates are changing as the 17th is Palm Sunday and some folks will be observing. No worries on the rain.I am with you as my cars are all dry only - 100% free of percipitation riders as well.

Is it worth putting on a carbra a year after having the car? There is some minor rock chipping and scuffing on the lower front bumper and minor road rash behind the front wheels. Should I get those repaired from a body shop first before getting the bra? I had heard you have to wait several months to let the fresh paint harden before putting on the clearbra

Is it worth putting on a carbra a year after having the car? There is some minor rock chipping and scuffing on the lower front bumper and minor road rash behind the front wheels. Should I get those repaired from a body shop first before getting the bra? I had heard you have to wait several months to let the fresh paint harden before putting on the clearbra

a repair is a must before putting on the bra, if you have a few that can be touched up , try that first , road rash might be to much to cover , putting the clear bra over scratches is like putting paint over scratches all you get is shinny scratches

Archived