TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500 Ordering Process

All,

My dealer agreed to order a black GT500 coupe for me in early Feb at a fantastic price, and I am really excited about it. At this point I know he has sold cars before mine and will sell cars after mine for much more money, so I am wanting to 'tread lightly' with regards to pressing him for information to satisfy my enthusiasm. (Did I mention I was excited about the car yet?)

Can anyone help me understand what to expect in terms of information that comes back from Ford on the build process? For example, when other have ordered, how long did it take to get the order confirmation from Ford? How long to get a VIN, build date, etc? At this time Ford is telling the dealer the order is on 'material hold'. Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks in advance to all for your guidance. The site has been a great help in guiding the dealer up to this point!

All,

My dealer agreed to order a black GT500 coupe for me in early Feb at a fantastic price, and I am really excited about it. At this point I know he has sold cars before mine and will sell cars after mine for much more money, so I am wanting to 'tread lightly' with regards to pressing him for information to satisfy my enthusiasm. (Did I mention I was excited about the car yet?)

Can anyone help me understand what to expect in terms of information that comes back from Ford on the build process? For example, when other have ordered, how long did it take to get the order confirmation from Ford? How long to get a VIN, build date, etc? At this time Ford is telling the dealer the order is on 'material hold'. Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks in advance to all for your guidance. The site has been a great help in guiding the dealer up to this point!

Material hold is common with Ford.

Car is ordered and order is imputted to oreder bank waiting for Ford to pull the order and schedule a build date. It is out of the dealer's control as to when Ford schedules it. Meanwhile there can be delays which could put the order on material hold. Ford waiting on a part or particular option you ordered is not available yet. So the order sits in the order bank waiting on Ford. Eventually the order gets pulled and a build date is scheduled along with a complete vin # issued.

People that ordered a convertible last April that ordered the shaker 1000 were on material hold until November. Everyone that ordered without the shaker 1000 got scheduled. Just to give you an example.

The wait sucks, but it also part of the excitement. Like a little kid waiting for Santa. But worry little Tommy, you'll get it! :happy feet:

Thanks for the guidance, by reading here on the site I think I'm in for a long wait!

Do you have any idea if the dealer gets some sort of confirmation that the order went into the order bank? When I think of ordering something on-line, I usually get a confirmation number just so that I know the order is in. Any idea if this happens with Ford?

Thanks for the guidance, by reading here on the site I think I'm in for a long wait!

Do you have any idea if the dealer gets some sort of confirmation that the order went into the order bank? When I think of ordering something on-line, I usually get a confirmation number just so that I know the order is in. Any idea if this happens with Ford?

Yes. They can print out a copy of the order for you. It will have a partial vin # on the order and once Ford pulls the order and schedules it they will issue a complete vin #. Once a complete vin # is assigned you can not make any changes to the order. But up until they pull the order you could make changes as far as available options and color choice.

But the minute the dealer puts the order in they give you a print out of that showing the order is in the system.

Your Partial will look like this VHT88S 75 , T89 if vert. Go back to your dealer and get a copy of the DORA. It's getting close to the end of 07 ordering, make sure they have an allottment for one. As stated above the dealers have little control regarding the timing,that comes from the regional office. Good Luck B)

H active belts/side airbags

T88 coupe

T89 Vert

S 5.4 L

7 Model year

5 Flat Rock

Do you have a V.O,C (vehivcle order confirmation)?????????

Yank -

Assuming you are having a 2007 ordered for you, you may not have as long to wait as some on this board. Last I heard, they will start on the 2008s in June. That could slide, of course, but that's like tomorrow compared to how long some of us waited. I got on the list in April 2004 (not a misprint). Very painful process, though much of it I admit was self-generated. I can tell from postings here that I was not the Lone Ranger.

As far as the ordering process is concerned, my advice is to make sure you know what the final price will be in writing. Even if they say they won't know until Ford sends the invoice (after it's built), they can still put down something like 'MSRP with no ADM' in writing.

NOT every dealer is shady. There have been plenty of stories about good dealers on this site - mine is one of them. There are others, however, who got jacked at the last minute and given a 'take it or leave it' deal that was not what the buyer believed he was promised. If it's your word against theirs, remember the car is theirs before it's yours. A good dealer will understand your anxiety and should have no problem being up front with you without damaging the deal. If it does damage the deal, you'd better know now, not later. You can decide whether to proceed or not. There is no crime paying an ADM if that's what you are willing to do. The only sleaze associated with an ADM, in my opinion, is if they only drop it on you at the last minute as a pressure tactic saying they have another buyer. It happens. Maybe a lot, on this car.

Also, bear in mind that even good dealers do not know everything about your car's production. At every step of the way I knew more about where my car was than the dealer. You may be so excited you cannot sleep, but they don't feel that way. It's basically just another unit under all the Shelby hype. The other thing to realize is that not every dealership lets the salesman access some of the factory hotlines you and I don't normally get to access either. My point in this is that just because they don't call every day just for you, it doesn't mean they are dishonest or giving you the slow roll. Some will be nearly as interested as you in where your car is, some won't be. Some sales folks may not be able to access the best information available.

I absolutely recommend you ask this forum any question you can think of - someone here will know the answer. Then once you know something, you can decide how to follow up with your dealer.

If you establish a good relationship with your dealer, you should feel more at ease as delivery approaches. If you don't, you might have some very uncomfortable weeks that feel like years. Your call.

Welcome to the Forum Three Cobras! :banana piano: :banana piano: :banana piano:

I ordered a Vert. August 2006. Vin. assigned March 02 2007. Build assigned week of March 20th 2007.

I went for Alloy. I see you went Ebony. What colour stripes? The rule is, when you get it PHOTO'S! :happy feet:

Welcome to the Forum Three Cobras! :banana piano: :banana piano: :banana piano:

I ordered a Vert. August 2006. Vin. assigned March 02 2007. Build assigned week of March 20th 2007.

I went for Alloy. I see you went Ebony. What colour stripes? The rule is, when you get it PHOTO'S! :happy feet:

??? :stop:

??? :stop:

:hysterical2: 3cobras is not new.

Yank, I agree with 3 cobras comments, but would add a couple things:

1) Get the agreement on a sales order sheet from the dealer...not a napkin or other piece of paper...get something with their letterhead that is pretty official. Make sure it says which car you'll get. In other words, they may pull a fast one on you by calling you late in the year and saying "well, we thought we were getting two cars, but now find we're only getting one, and since you were the 2nd person we sold to, you are out of luck". :ohsnap: So get them to say "Customer will get first and only allocation" or "Customer will get 2nd allocation". Just be aware that although they SHOULD know how many they are getting, this "share of nation" thing may come into play.

2) Get the document signed by the sales MANAGER...NOT just a salesperson. The sales MANAGER is an agent of the dealership, so his/her signature is legally binding. If it's just the salesperson, he/she may get fired and then they may say "oh, she was a rogue, cutting deals with people on things without management's agreement...so we can't sell it to you".

3) Give them a deposit, have them write on the contract that it's a non-refundable deposit, and try to get them to cash that check. It gives you more peace of mine....as cashing a check is indicative of their acceptance of the agreement IMO.

As 3C said, not all dealers are bad...but there are enough of them out there that you have to be as clear as possible on these things.

Good luck.

Dave

Yank -

Dave's post is a perfect example of my point that someone here will be able to answer your questions in detail. You can still choose not to do any of these things, but at least you'll have the gouge from which to deviate.

To be honest, I didn't do it the way I said or Dave amplified. My deal turned out fine. But I had some doubts at certain points and wish I had done all these things. Peace of mind. Priceless.

Archived