TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My newest hobby

I have a question... How do you do two colors , like the ones you did on the door rails?

Very freakin carefully!! lol Raised letters like the valve covers are easier than the recessed letters like on the door still plates, but still a PITA. For the raised letters on the valve covers I sprayed the white powder and fully cooked it. Then you spray the black powder and VERY CAREFULLY wipe off the areas that you don't want covered with a damp finger, the whole time trying your hardest not to touch or bump the part anywhere else or you get to start all over. Patience, which in not one of my strong traits, is required. lol

Then there's a few ways to do the recessed letters. You can melt one color then spend a bunch of time with tape and a razor blade like I did the first time I coated them with less than stellar results. So I stripped them and started over. This time I tried two different techniques on each piece. First up was a tiny vacuum. I rigged up a very tiny vacuum attachment that goes to my shop vac out of an air nozzle. The white 3" cap goes onto the hose of the shop vac and when I pull the trigger, it sucks. This requires a fairly steady hand, but the results turned out really well.

dsc5169e.jpg

Then I tried a similar method like you'd use on the raised letters. I first shot the part black and fully cooked the powder. Then I shot the white and started whipping away from around the letters. Once I got everything around the letters cleaned off I VERY CAREFULLY placed a piece of blue painters tape over the recessed letters to protect the loose white powder in them, so I could use compressed air to get the rest of the statically clung powder off of the rest of the black parts. A little nerve wracking, but this provided the best results, so I stripped the other one and did it like this too.

Sorry for the long rant. You asked. lol

Who's got another set of coil covers for me to do? I've got vista blue, red, black, white, silver, grabber orange, and a lot of other colors in stock and I'm itchin' for more practice. $100 for the 2-tone coil covers and I'll pay return shipping. Let me know.

-Brian

• 2 weeks later...

You have inspired me.Thanks for all the info. when things calm down i am going to look into doing something similar. Thanks

Sweet. Let me know if you can't find anyone local to you to do the two tone custom work, I'll help you out.

Here's some suspension components from a '68 Charger I did yesterday.

dsc6560w.jpg

dsc6513e.jpg

dsc6536x.jpg

dsc6550.jpg

dsc6570n.jpg

dsc6577i.jpg

dsc6599.jpg

dsc6635b.jpg

Archived