TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Buyer Beware

Daren@shelbywheels

Attention Shelby fans. If you are in the market for wheels from the Carroll Shelby Wheel Company be careful who you are dealing with. Its seems there are several companies and/or individuals marketing wheels as brand new Carroll Shelby Wheels in original packaging via Ebay and Craigslist. Seems most ads are based in the southern California area. These ads promise brand new Carroll Shelby Wheels at prices that are to good to be true. These wheels are not authorized by the Carroll Shelby Wheel Company and are being marketed illegally and will be subject to legal action. As such they have not undergone our quality control and there is no guarantee these wheels meet our strict engineering testing standards for safe highway usage. None of these wheels carry warranty of any kind. Buyer Beware.

Here are a few things to remember when shopping for Carroll Shelby Wheels.

Only wheels purchased from an authorized dealer carries the full factory warranty. Warranty applies to original purchaser only.

Ask seller If they are an authorized dealer. If there is any doubt check our website or call our offices.

If the price seems to good to be true it probably is.

If there is ever any doubt or you just have a question feel free to check our website at www.carrollshelbywheels.com or call our offices at 888-375-3716.

We will make sure your dealing with an authorized dealer or can guide you to an authorized dealer so that you get exactly what you pay for.

If your favorite shop is not an authorized dealer we'd be happy to speak with them about becoming one.

Any questions you can pm me here or email me at dwhitman@carrollshelbywheels.com

Thanks, Daren

I knew it!!!!

Last week there was a set of CS69 SE's for sale for like $400 bucks! Someone caught it and posted here, or it may have even been posted here. I got into it with these guys and WARNED them all!

In my young age, there's one thing I've learned.........................OK, maybe a few... If it seems too good to be true????????????

Thanks for the :redcard: warning Daren!

Are these bogus wheels counterfeit or did they 'fall of a truck' somewhere? There are CS wheels listed in te Dallas Craigs List for something like $800 a set. I've been tempted to call, but haven't actually done so.

Are these bogus wheels counterfeit or did they 'fall of a truck' somewhere? There are CS wheels listed in te Dallas Craigs List for something like $800 a set. I've been tempted to call, but haven't actually done so.

No idea where they are coming from. Thanks for the heads up. I'm checking the Dallas wheels out now. Don't have any idea who's selling them but I'll find out. Price is to low to be legit. I'd say its to good to be true.

Hey Daren, if you will have them make us some 18's we wouldn't have to look elsewhere for wheels. :poke:

+1

Hey Daren, as Jason posted earlier, ,are the wheels we are on the watch for fake, stolen, hijacked from one of your shipments or what?

Do they carry all the markings of a genuine wheel?

Or did someone order a stash of your wheels and go "belly up" and now they are dumping them on the market.

Hey Daren, as Jason posted earlier, ,are the wheels we are on the watch for fake, stolen, hijacked from one of your shipments or what?

Do they carry all the markings of a genuine wheel?

Or did someone order a stash of your wheels and go "belly up" and now they are dumping them on the market.

As of now we are still investigating it. Not sure where they are coming from so I don't know if these are counterfeit, fake or wheels that failed quality control. Wheels that fail QC are sent to a smelter and melted down. We are still in the process of tracing down the source and shutting it down. We've made significant progress since my 1st post but I don't want to tip my hand at this point.

I don't believe these are from dealers that went 'belly up." We normally try to buy back a failed company's inventory to try to prevent this type of thing.

Our main concern is letting the public know to watch out so they don't get taken.

Based on outward appearance these wheels look very close to authorized product. There are ways to tell the difference.

We do "water mark" genuine wheels and there are also marking to identify wheels that fail QC.

Before you ask those makings are kept secret so they can't be duplicated.

As of now the main way to distinguish the unauthorized wheels from authorized product is price. Shop around with reputable dealers. If the price you find is not consistent with other dealers, beware.

As always if you have questions, call us 888-375-3716

so I'm sure the knockoffs are made in China, and I'll bet the CS wheels are made in China so what's the difference besides they are not authorized to sell them?? Do tell ..........

I would assume as a Shelby GT500 owner you would understand the importance of the genuine article. After all, a GT500 clone can be built for much less than the genuine article. By your logic they're both Mustangs, both produced by the same company so what the difference. Why not let every new and used lot in the country build clones and mark them up and sell them as genuine GT500's. What would happen to the value and significance of your Shelby GT500 if the market was allowed to be flooded with clones claiming to be genuine. You may not own a set of our wheels but you do own Shelby products. All Shelby products, logo's, trademarks etc, are protected collectively and individually to keep the brand strong as a whole. So as a Shelby product owner us protecting the wheel brand helps maintain the value and significance of all of your Shelby products.

If your interested in discussing where the product is made and why they are made there start a new thread and I'll be happy to discuss it there. That is not the purpose of this thread.

As of now we are still investigating it. Not sure where they are coming from so I don't know if these are counterfeit, fake or wheels that failed quality control. Wheels that fail QC are sent to a smelter and melted down. We are still in the process of tracing down the source and shutting it down. We've made significant progress since my 1st post but I don't want to tip my hand at this point.

I don't believe these are from dealers that went 'belly up." We normally try to buy back a failed company's inventory to try to prevent this type of thing.

Our main concern is letting the public know to watch out so they don't get taken.

Based on outward appearance these wheels look very close to authorized product. There are ways to tell the difference.

We do "water mark" genuine wheels and there are also marking to identify wheels that fail QC.

Before you ask those makings are kept secret so they can't be duplicated.

As of now the main way to distinguish the unauthorized wheels from authorized product is price. Shop around with reputable dealers. If the price you find is not consistent with other dealers, beware.

As always if you have questions, call us 888-375-3716

Daren, thanks for the update, and good luck in sorting this out.

so I'm sure the knockoffs are made in China, and I'll bet the CS wheels are made in China so what's the difference besides they are not authorized to sell them?? Do tell ..........

The Knockoff's uses Lead Based Paint..................... so DON"T lick them................................. :hysterical:

Back in December I ordered a set of the chrome CS67's off ebay for like $600. I'm sure these came from the same guys being investigated now. However at the time they told me they would clear my Brembo brakes which they clearly did not when I received them. However when I told them they did not fit like they specified they gladly took them back and paid for the freight. I got a refund immediately. They looked authenic when I got them but I never did drive with them since they did not fit so not sure how the ride quality would have been. Luckily I ended up finding a seller on one of the forums selling the CS69 wheels I have on my Shelby now and I know they are authenic as he had purchased them direct through Shelby.

Here's a pic of the cheap ones from ebay:

IMG_1232-1.jpg

I hope RT Tire is an authorized dealer.

I bought my CS-69 SE from them a couple of years ago.

Actually right when the SE's first came out.

That's BS that someone would make knock-offs.

But I guess it happens with all products.

The SE CS-69 wheels aren't available anymore from Shelby anymore; are they??

I would assume as a Shelby GT500 owner you would understand the importance of the genuine article. After all, a GT500 clone can be built for much less than the genuine article. By your logic they're both Mustangs, both produced by the same company so what the difference. Why not let every new and used lot in the country build clones and mark them up and sell them as genuine GT500's. What would happen to the value and significance of your Shelby GT500 if the market was allowed to be flooded with clones claiming to be genuine. You may not own a set of our wheels but you do own Shelby products. All Shelby products, logo's, trademarks etc, are protected collectively and individually to keep the brand strong as a whole. So as a Shelby product owner us protecting the wheel brand helps maintain the value and significance of all of your Shelby products.

If your interested in discussing where the product is made and why they are made there start a new thread and I'll be happy to discuss it there. That is not the purpose of this thread.

thanks for the answer.........China

My $50 Rolex from a guy in a trenchcoat in downtown Manhattan is still working PERFECT after 10 years.

My wife's 'Taiwanese' COACH purse's...plural...are still great looking and not falling apart, after years of lugging around our humungous bankrolls! :hysterical:

But seriously.....................wheels............C O M P L E T E L Y different story, IMHO! :redcard:

My wheels that I just purchased for my Tundra are absolutely manufactured in China. However, they are manufactured and sold through Discount Tire Direct as their 'in-house' branded wheel, and they would NOT sell crap, and jeopardize their long history of great service and customer satisfaction. They have got to be built and monitored by Discount Tire mgmt. for their possible liability issues. I would assume and hope that they (Discount) have a person from their corporation flying to China and visiting the factories for close monitoring of what the factory is turning out with their name on it? I can tell you all from my bicycle business experience, that the bike manufacturers DO JUST THAT! Because ALL bikes are now made in China.

It's a rough world out there...be careful. :salute:

That's BS that someone would make knock-offs.

But I guess it happens with all products.

RT tire is an authorized dealer.

The CS69SE was a limited edition. They are no longer available.

That's BS that someone would make knock-offs.But I guess it happens with all products.

I haven't seen any proof of that. If someone does have proof they should make Shelby Licensing aware of it.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

My $50 Rolex from a guy in a trenchcoat in downtown Manhattan is still working PERFECT after 10 years.

My wife's 'Taiwanese' COACH purse's...plural...are still great looking and not falling apart, after years of lugging around our humungous bankrolls! :hysterical:

Is cannondale bikes still built in CT

But seriously.....................wheels............C O M P L E T E L Y different story, IMHO! :redcard:

My wheels that I just purchased for my Tundra are absolutely manufactured in China. However, they are manufactured and sold through Discount Tire Direct as their 'in-house' branded wheel, and they would NOT sell crap, and jeopardize their long history of great service and customer satisfaction. They have got to be built and monitored by Discount Tire mgmt. for their possible liability issues. I would assume and hope that they (Discount) have a person from their corporation flying to China and visiting the factories for close monitoring of what the factory is turning out with their name on it? I can tell you all from my bicycle business experience, that the bike manufacturers DO JUST THAT! Because ALL bikes are now made in China.

It's a rough world out there...be careful. :salute:

Archived