TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby owners life with a family of five

mrfarmdog

I am so happy to have received my Shelby last week. Since it has arrived I have been itching to get behind the wheel. Life has a way of complicating things though. With a wife and three kids it makes going out for a cruise difficult. Don't get me wrong, I love my family and wish I could take them all but they all just won't fit in a four seater. I have two in car seats as well that makes if difficult.

In looking for opportunities to drive I find myself volunteering for trips to the store, taking the kids to school, etc. But those are short and not on roads where I can get any real boost. I have been contemplating either early morning drives or late evening drives but that would leave my wife at home with the kids. I would really like to have some dedicated time for her and I to go out driving together.

We have some friends that have volunteered babysitting time, which is very thoughtful and we will probably take them up on it next week.

Since most people on this board have probably gotten their child raising behind them, I was curious if anyone else faces this delima?

Only have 1 child so not a problem.

Maybe you could have a rumble seat installed? :hysterical:

Perhaps GT500E could photoshop 1 for you? :hysterical2:

One in the trunk eh? Haven't really given that any thought :hysterical2:

I am so happy to have received my Shelby last week. Since it has arrived I have been itching to get behind the wheel. Life has a way of complicating things though. With a wife and three kids it makes going out for a cruise difficult. Don't get me wrong, I love my family and wish I could take them all but they all just won't fit in a four seater. I have two in car seats as well that makes if difficult.

In looking for opportunities to drive I find myself volunteering for trips to the store, taking the kids to school, etc. But those are short and not on roads where I can get any real boost. I have been contemplating either early morning drives or late evening drives but that would leave my wife at home with the kids. I would really like to have some dedicated time for her and I to go out driving together.

We have some friends that have volunteered babysitting time, which is very thoughtful and we will probably take them up on it next week.

Since most people on this board have probably gotten their child raising behind them, I was curious if anyone else faces this delima?

Hang in there Ford talked about bringing out a station wagon Mustang Maybe it will offer a 600 h.p Blower.

If you're looking for time in the Shelby, maybe you should just talk with your wife about it. If she didn't have a problem with you spending 50k on a toy, it's hard to believe she'll have a problem with you setting aside some time to use it.

I have a 2 year old and a 4 year old...but I don't have a concern about taking the car out for an hour or two and leaving my wife home with the kids. Just as she doesn't have a problem going to her monthly girls poker game or to martial arts three times a week while I watch the kids. I think it's a matter of being reasonable wrt the amount of time you spend doing separate things versus doing family things. We spend a lot of time together and as a family, but we also have our separate interests.

If you're looking for time alone with your wife, I'm guessing she has better ideas than driving the Shelby around...

Have you considering offering your babe up for adoption? I would be glad to take the Shelby. You can even maintain visitation rights so she'll know her own heritage. :headspin:

If you're looking for time in the Shelby, maybe you should just talk with your wife about it. If she didn't have a problem with you spending 50k on a toy, it's hard to believe she'll have a problem with you setting aside some time to use it.

I have a 2 year old and a 4 year old...but I don't have a concern about taking the car out for an hour or two and leaving my wife home with the kids. Just as she doesn't have a problem going to her monthly girls poker game or to martial arts three times a week while I watch the kids. I think it's a matter of being reasonable wrt the amount of time you spend doing separate things versus doing family things. We spend a lot of time together and as a family, but we also have our separate interests.

If you're looking for time alone with your wife, I'm guessing she has better ideas than driving the Shelby around...

We trade off on personal time. She does bunko and craft stuff with her friends. Occasionally she goes away on a weekend trip. She has been pretty good about it but you know... Once you have driven the car it keeps calling you from the garage:)

I let my wife drive it for the first time alone today. She was gone for a short trip around the neighborhood. I really would like to go with her to give her some pointers, etc. I am sure we will have time this next week though.

Regarding alone time, some of our best alone time (generally speaking) is when we have taken some driving trips alone together. Something about getting away like that lets us talk more.

Anyway, I was curious if anyone else was having trouble getting their Shelby fix.

We trade off on personal time. She does bunko and craft stuff with her friends. Occasionally she goes away on a weekend trip. She has been pretty good about it but you know... Once you have driven the car it keeps calling you from the garage:)

I let my wife drive it for the first time alone today. She was gone for a short trip around the neighborhood. I really would like to go with her to give her some pointers, etc. I am sure we will have time this next week though.

Regarding alone time, some of our best alone time (generally speaking) is when we have taken some driving trips alone together. Something about getting away like that lets us talk more.

Anyway, I was curious if anyone else was having trouble getting their Shelby fix.

My problem is I can't always decide which one to drive.

Farmdog, I'm in the same boat as you. I have 2 in full blown car seats and 1 in a booster. I got my car at the end of September and my wife has ridden in it once. Yep, once.

Granted, the winter weather played a big roll in that, but I have been trying to find good excuses for getting someone to watch the kids. It hasn't worked out. Hopefully, with the nicer weather, that will change.

My wife doesn't know how to drive a stick (and she won't be learning on this one), otherwise I would tell her to go out to drive it herself. I have offered to pick up a beater for her to learn on, but the lack of time plays a part in that decision, too.

I did take 2 of my kids out for an extended ride yesterday. They get a kick out of riding around without a roof on the car. I guess that falls into the "priceless" aspect of having one of these cars.

Hey Farmdog,

Hang in there it'll get better. I am in the same situation as you; I have 3 small children and love Mustangs. I sold my 2004 to drive a T-Bird because it fits everyone in it. I have owned my '72 Mustang for 20 years and very disappointed now that I can't fit everyone in it. At one point I even considered selling it to buy the new Mercury Marauder because of the big rear seat. But since the new (2005 & newer) Mustangs especially the new GT500 came out I am going to buy one when I sell the '72. Usually it's my friends and I going cruizing on summer weekend nights or entering car shows. Especially with such a large responsibility on your shoulders you might want to take time for yourself to do what you want for recreation, probably driving your Shelby. When your kids get older you will probably take them cruizing while your wife gets some time off from them. Also when taking your wife out you can drive the Shelby instead of the minivan ;)

I hear you brother; again, hang in there it'll get better. I'm happy for you at least you have the car to enjoy when you want.

Secondo

Hey Farmdog,

Hang in there it'll get better. I am in the same situation as you; I have 3 small children and love Mustangs. I sold my 2004 to drive a T-Bird because it fits everyone in it. I have owned my '72 Mustang for 20 years and very disappointed now that I can't fit everyone in it. At one point I even considered selling it to buy the new Mercury Marauder because of the big rear seat. But since the new (2005 & newer) Mustangs especially the new GT500 came out I am going to buy one when I sell the '72. Usually it's my friends and I going cruizing on summer weekend nights or entering car shows. Especially with such a large responsibility on your shoulders you might want to take time for yourself to do what you want for recreation, probably driving your Shelby. When your kids get older you will probably take them cruizing while your wife gets some time off from them. Also when taking your wife out you can drive the Shelby instead of the minivan ;)

I hear you brother; again, hang in there it'll get better. I'm happy for you at least you have the car to enjoy when you want.

Secondo

I appreciate the reply secundo. I thought there might be a few in the same situation out there:) I took my two oldest out last night for putt putt and ice cream. It was all fun. I was watching the Shelby in the parking lot and a new Z-06 pulled over to scout it out.

Count me in on the "not enough seat belts" issue. Although I don't even have the car yet, my wife and I have talked about this very thing REPEATEDLY. Our solution, one of us will follow the Shelby with the SHO or Cobra Jet F-150 (351CJ). Let's face it... three kids need a lot of "support stuff" which easily exceeds available trunk space anyway. Oh, part of our solution is to also swap vehicles on the return trip.

Cheers

Well I dont have my SGT yet but my wife and I are planning lots of little trips with ours. We have five boys and the youngest is heading off to school next fall. I always have to take some forgotten item in to school. Unfortunately there is only 2 miles of pavement out of the 7 (gravel) :stop: it takes to get to town, but it is never patroled :shift: My oldest is 15 and driving my old 68 Torino right now but we'll soon have his 67 Cougar ready to go. My thinking is half in the SGT and half in the Cougar. Probably still get the same combined mileage as our Suburban.

Archived