TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2010-2012 Engine Start Button

chitucan

Hi,

Excuse me, somebody knows where I can buy the Engine Start Button whith the assembly like this:

I only could find the Start Button but I need the assembly for my 2010 Mustang located in the middle of the cockpit.

Thank's for your help !

2010_ford_mustang_28_cd_gallery_zoomed.jpg

Hey I've been looking for it as well. I called Ford Racing and they told me it was a special part made only for Cobrajets and a few one-off ford cars. I don't think anyone has produced one for the market. It sucks because I love the mod and actually purchased the button already. I decided that I would attempt to make on myself using 3D cad software. I'm going to have the part produced and i'll see how it works out. If it's good enough to use to install I could have a few extra made if people are interested.

This is what I sent out to be made today... I should be able to report back in about 2 weeks whether it worked or not. The part was designed with the exact measurments of the actual button since I have already purchased it.

captureqkj.jpg

Perfect.....Thank's for your information and I'm really interested.....keep in touch please.

Regards.

Hey I've been looking for it as well. I called Ford Racing and they told me it was a special part made only for Cobrajets and a few one-off ford cars. I don't think anyone has produced one for the market. It sucks because I love the mod and actually purchased the button already. I decided that I would attempt to make on myself using 3D cad software. I'm going to have the part produced and i'll see how it works out. If it's good enough to use to install I could have a few extra made if people are interested.

This is what I sent out to be made today... I should be able to report back in about 2 weeks whether it worked or not. The part was designed with the exact measurments of the actual button since I have already purchased it.

captureqkj.jpg

Hi,

Excuse me, somebody knows where I can buy the Engine Start Button whith the assembly like this:

I only could find the Start Button but I need the assembly for my 2010 Mustang located in the middle of the cockpit.

Thank's for your help !

post-29431-0-67916000-1301385306_thumb.jpg

if it works well, sell the design to one of the parts houses,like JLT,and have them retail it--seems lots of folks would buyit

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Mulanzo where in Ontario are you? Let me ask you once you get the push button going what do you do with the key hole?headscratch.gif

I don't see the point? Doesn't the key still needs to be turned to the ON position in the ignition? Other than having a button to push in the middle of the dash, doesn't make sense to me. I have a car with push button start from the factory and I like the function, but wouldn't want it in my Shelby if I still had to use the key in the ignition. :headscratch:

I'm in Toronto. The key remains in place. In order to not throw the car through the garage door when starting the car while it's parked in 1st, the key has to be in the ignition in the accessory position, clutch down as usual. The start button just takes the place of turing the key to cause ignition. Sort of redundant when you think about it, but ...truth be told.....I like big shiny red buttons that make the boom boom happen.

And it's bad ass to look at. You don't know if the car is gonna start or if you're going to launch a missile like James Bond.

It's not for everybody since it's totally a cosmetic thing....but hey... as long as I like it, right?

It's not for everybody since it's totally a cosmetic thing....but hey... as long as I like it, right?

RIGHT!

That's my feeling on everything...I don't do it for *you*, I do it for *me*! If *I* like it, that's all that counts.

What is the final product going to be made from and how is it retained in the power socket hole?

I knew it was a Cobra Jet exclusive part but I didn't think Ford would refuse to sell it to non CJ owners. I felt it was just a matter of time before it his the FRPP site (you can already buy a bunch of CJ stuff from FRPP).

I'm semi-interested. I use that power socket for my Veri-com performance computer but I could always run the cord back to the socket in the center console.

I like the look of the start button there but like ya say...redundant. It's more of a 'cool factor' than anything else. All of the cars I know of (factory) that have a start button automatically turn the ignition on with a proximity key fob in your pocket. Now THAT would be nice, if someone could produce a proximity fob for the Shelby!!!

Yes please, keep us all informed on your project. So far, looks GREAT.

TIA,

Phill Pollard

Here's an update... I wrapped it in carbon fibre and then lay down the first layer of clear. It's shaping up nicer than I thought. It's going to match the carbon fibre radio bezel I'm working on as well.

1 more layer of clear, a quick sand to level it all and a thorough polish and I'm going to pop it in.

Another thing I noticed today which gives me hope: The powerpoint looks like it is mounted on a separate piece of plastic and it may in fact be very easy to remove without causing any permanent damage incase you want to reverse the install. I'm going to probe a bit further but I don't feel like pulling the dash apart until I'm ready to wire this sucker up.

img3220l.jpg

As to your questions Phill, the base is made of a plastic nylon that was built up by rapid prototyping. It is very strong and resistant to flexing and cracking. Hell, it's even hard to sand. It is retained in the socked by hinges that utilize the stock mount points of the original part. The bottom will be secured with either an adhesive or velcro. It doesn't click into the same spot the original part clicks into. I figured if I push the start button I might unclick it from the fastener.

Here's the radio bezel I'm making that matches. As you can see, I still need to smooth it out a bit and polish it up to a nice shine but I think I did a pretty decent job. Wrapping CF around the various slots is a PAIN. Given that that was my first CF job, I think I did alright.

img3222u.jpg

As for the Shelby lettering, I used a similar process as used to create the mount plate. I modelled exact replicas of the Shelby Lettering in CAD 3D models and then shrunk it down and had the parts fabbed. I'm going to recast them in metal once I smooth them out. They are only temporarily placed so you can see what I'm aiming for.

A couple other things I want to do and then I'm gonna mount it all back into the car. I tell ya...it's been a tedious process.

ACK! I test fitted the plate this morning and forgot to incorporate the thickness of the carbon fibre and clear coat. The plate doesn't sit flush with the surrounding area and if I sand, I'll have to cut into the carbon. Ah well...atleast the part was cheap to make. I have to remeasure now that I have a sample with carbon telling me how thick I should go. On the bright side, once it was all sanded and buffed, with the button sitting in, it looked mint.

ACK! I test fitted the plate this morning and forgot to incorporate the thickness of the carbon fibre and clear coat. The plate doesn't sit flush with the surrounding area and if I sand, I'll have to cut into the carbon. Ah well...atleast the part was cheap to make. I have to remeasure now that I have a sample with carbon telling me how thick I should go. On the bright side, once it was all sanded and buffed, with the button sitting in, it looked mint.

Oh MAN!

I think the technical term for that kind of design clearance is FAHK! rant2.gif

I don't see the point? Doesn't the key still needs to be turned to the ON position in the ignition? Other than having a button to push in the middle of the dash, doesn't make sense to me. I have a car with push button start from the factory and I like the function, but wouldn't want it in my Shelby if I still had to use the key in the ignition. :headscratch:

Would be terrific if the ignition system could be adapted to incorporate the same kind of Intelligent Access Push Button Start Ford uses throughout the range of other vehicles. I tell you - once you get used to not fishing-out your keys, one of life's biggest pains in the ass becomes driving any car that requires you to do so.

Some company MUST make a proximity-enabled enabler. The ignition switch on the steering column needn't be removed altogether - only to have some kind of plug that could be inserted with a sculpted head to cover it. But then there's the whole PATS infrastructure to deal with. Even the remote start systems for the Push Button vehicles require an additional key fob that's actually placed inside the remote start unit when it's tucked behind the dash.

Nothing is simple anymore. :)

Nice mod. The CF is a bit strange since it's already plastic, but it's cool. How many did you have to get made? Most of the plastic molding companies out here won't bother with small orders.

He had it made on a rapid prototype (3D inkjet). No tooling required.

Would be terrific if the ignition system could be adapted to incorporate the same kind of Intelligent Access Push Button Start Ford uses throughout the range of other vehicles. I tell you - once you get used to not fishing-out your keys, one of life's biggest pains in the ass becomes driving any car that requires you to do so.

Some company MUST make a proximity-enabled enabler. The ignition switch on the steering column needn't be removed altogether - only to have some kind of plug that could be inserted with a sculpted head to cover it. But then there's the whole PATS infrastructure to deal with. Even the remote start systems for the Push Button vehicles require an additional key fob that's actually placed inside the remote start unit when it's tucked behind the dash.

Nothing is simple anymore. :)

After five months of ownership of my beast, when it comes to keys I have to say the key is way too damn long....it gouges on my knee. A shorter repackaged key would be something I would be interested in.

Congrats looks very nice, How can I get one, are you selling the assembly or you have only one.....Thank's for your attention..

Update: I received the part from the manufacturer. I have to wrap it in carbon fibre now. It fits pretty nicely in the car and the push button starter fits like a glove. I have to shave a bit off the top. Can't wait to rig it all together...

img3208k.jpg

photoqe.jpg

Archived