TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Bring Back Alloy Clearcoat Metallic

topgun

if i remember correctly, its the 2nd rarest color only to grabber orange....my paint/body friend is amazed how it POPS when its in the sun....i love mine!!!

WOW, I would have thought the Alloy would be the Rarest. I see Grabber Orange GT 500's everywhere and have only seen 2 Alloy's. I must say, Alloy does look cool between Noon and 2:00pm on a Sunny Day.

if i remember correctly, its the 2nd rarest color only to grabber orange....my paint/body friend is amazed how it POPS when its in the sun....i love mine!!!

Same here I love mine also that's why I pushing ford to bring it back. I wan't my 2013 to be Alloy

• 1 year later...

Shelby guys and shelby girls help me protest to bring back the Alloy Clearcoat Metallic for 2013.

Where is the Alloy Metallic for 2013, I really want to buy a 2013 but ford is really trying me lol OOOO Ford the customer is usually right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now bring back Alloy Metallic

I love my Alloy Metallic.....it's different and really a head-turner! Here's the research I did a while back on the fastest color controversy!

I have been watching this “fastest color” topic for a while now with limited satisfaction. So I commissioned a research project on this topic. After extensive library and web time, entailing many hours of study, field experiments and interviews, not to mention an enormous budget to cover snacks, pizza and other research materials, the conclusions of the study are as follows.

Alloy is the fastest color. Here is just a sampling of the exhaustive research that confirms this conclusion: Alloy, by engineering definition, is a blend of metal or non-metallic substances to achieve a stronger or lighter material(7). Following this logic, alloy paint, by nature, is lighter and stronger than any other color—lighter naturally equates to faster. White, gray and vapor can’t possibly be as fast as alloy because light colors reflect more light, therefore increase the dynamic resonance of the panels which disrupts the airflow and results in a slower vehicle(1). On the other hand, black and blue cars absorb more light and the panels get hotter. The molecular structure of the metal expands with the heat, creating more space and allowing free radical molecules to attach themselves to the gaps in the structure, thereby increasing the weight of the panels as well as making them expand slightly(2). Again, this disrupts the airflow and slows the car. Finally, red and orange cars, by nature are more vibrant in color. Both these colors, because of the chemical and atomic make-up of the paint that literally makes the paint “vibrate”, require the paint to be applied thicker, which increases the weight of the car, resulting in a slower car(3).

In addition, cars with stripes on the hood, top and rear are slower than cars with side stripes only. Microscopic deformities along the edges of the stripes act as vortex generators and not only slow the car down, but can induce lift and make the car unstable at high speeds. The flares of the front wheel wells keep the air flow to a minimum on the side stripes so that they do not impact the speed of the car(4). I also discovered that convertibles are inherently faster than coupes. The rigid structure of the coupe’s roof forces the air to flow around and across it, creating resistance. The somewhat flexible roof of the convertible yields to the air flow, reducing resistance and therefore making the car faster(5).

Finally, Alloy is proven to be the fastest color because it is a low profile color, not attracting nearly as much attention as the other colors. Extensive research conducted at Malibu Beach, Victoria’s Secret and the Playboy Mansion have proven that the more eyes there are on an object, the slower it moves(6).

In conclusion, since my car happens to be an alloy convertible with side stripes (though having no influence on this research) and I’ve yet to see a GT 500 faster than it is, I concur whole heartedly with the conclusions of this very professional and well-grounded research. I am sure there are those who will differ with the conclusions of the aforementioned research, but the only valid refutation is documented presentations to the contrary. You will note that all of my sources are recent, credible and bonifide.

For those of you wondering, no government grants were used to fund this research. I took the entire burden upon myself in order to come to an unbiased and fair conclusion. If any of you would like to support additional research of this nature, gift cards from BP, Flying J or the likes can be forwarded to me, personally.

Sources:

1) “Paint & it’s effects on Speed” Homer Osteen, Osteen’s Body Shop, 2008

2) “Metal Shaping with heat” Bubba Brooks, Brooks Machine Shop, 2008

3) “Paintin’ cars” Leroy’s Paint & Frame, Leroy (no known last name), 2008

4) “Everything I know about cars” Chris, the fuel guy, local airport, 2008

5) Personal Interview—Bobo, the wino who hangs out at the local BP station

6) Personal observation (except for the mansion), 1956--2008

7) Willie Lineman, Electrical Engineer, local power company, 2008

Awesome post thanks. I hope someone from shelby reads this.

It's got nothing to do with us.

Your campaign needs to be directed at Ford.

Jer

I too love Carbon metallic. An SVT driver had a convertible during testing and I loved that color upon first sight.

In order for CM to come back, it would have to cross over to a wider spectrum of Ford vehicles and with Sterling Gray being so popular, I cannot see that happening. . .but you never know.

Archived