TEAM SHELBY FORUM

another bad ford experience.

bigZ

1.5 qts of 5W30 in the sump won't hurt anything. Besides, their straight 5W50 shears to a 40 grade in less than 1500 miles. Dealer oil techs are capable of a lot worse so I always turn down their complementary oil changes.

Can you be more specific? What does the cSt start at, and what does it shear to? "40grade" is a VERY broad area.

the dealership i bought my car from scratched my right rim deep into the paint and claimed it was already there. i contacted the dealership owner because i had my car for only 2 months and only 5k miles on it and he had the rim fixed for free. i went back there for my 10k service and was still not impressed with their service department

Can you be more specific? What does the cSt start at, and what does it shear to? "40grade" is a VERY broad area.

Yes I can. Here's a graph of Kinematic Viscosity@100 degrees C of a virgin oil sample along with several used samples of the Motorcraft 5W50 oil taken from used oil reports that some folks have posted. At 6000 miles the oil has sheared to nearly the equivalent of a heavy 30 grade oil.

MC5W5-_Shear.jpg

But I don't have a clue who you are, and whoever buys your car (if you sell it) might not, either. I know if I were in the market for a used car and someone said "I know when I do my own oil change, it's done right.", and then the next guy said "Sure, she's been serviced right" and presented me with receipts for oil-changes at a dealership all at the proper intervals, there is no question which car I would buy.

In fact, I have NEVER seen a used car private-party with the oil clear and at the proper level.

Not on my '95 Trans Am

Not on my '01 WS6 Trans Am

Not on any vehicle I took in on trade when I worked for Ford.

Not even on the 2002 CETA at the LS1track day I went to who's owner was so proud of his limited edition blah blah blah... (he later asked me if I had any spare oil on me, lol)

So while you might very well be the best guy around about taking care of your car, if you sold it to me, I would just naturally go on the presumption that the only reason the oil was clean that day was because you changed the 9500 mile muck out of it yesterday because I was coming to look at it.

This is not a personal slight against you, just saying that anyone who trusts someone who claims anything about a car that can't back it up with fact is going to be taken sooner or later. Receipts for oil are far from fact. Plenty of times that oil can just sit around the garage a few months while other, seemingly more pressing things are done. With my DD, that's how it is (Don't buy my G20, it's a problem child.).

OK, so anyone who changes their own oil rather than have the service oil guys i.e. chimps playing symbols (remember that toy?) is going to have a problem selling their car? I guess 90% of the guys on TS will have the same problem. Honestly, I'm not worried about selling my car. If and when the time comes, I'll show them the maintenance receipts then if they have a problem they can buy somewhere else. I have a history of trading cars before they get too old anyway. Like I said, if it works for you, fine. Enjoy brother.

Archived