TEAM SHELBY FORUM

another bad ford experience.

bigZ

decided to take my 2010 to my local ford service center for an oil change, they had an issue weather they had the right oil or not, so i saw that they finally had it, i double checked a bottle, it said 5w-50, didn't think anything of it anymore, i did tell him to leave the half quart in my car, so the bottle he left said 5W-30!, ran to the garbage bin where they changed my oil, and saw that they put 5 quarts of 5w-50 and 1.5quarts of 5w-30, I voiced my displeasure to everyone there, but they assured me that it would not be an issue since 5 quarts was 5w-50, so guys if there's anyone who can give some insight on weather this would damage my car please share your thoughts, i have made some phone calls weather i should change the oil or not, and most are saying that it should be fine, their will be no damage to my car. thats my main concern, i know that they were wrong and that guy should be fired, but i don't care about that, their not getting my business anymore, my main concern is weather it would damage my car....

Was the 5-30 synthetic? If so you'll be OK. 1.5 qts of 5w-30 vs 5w-50 is not going to hurt anything. It's not like they put in straight 30 dyno oil or something. Yes it's aggravating and I would be pissed as you are, but chalk it up as a lesson learmed and change your own from now on. Make sure it's documented. Oil guys are not techs. I wouldn't let them touch my lawnmower. Hopefully they didn't charge you.

Was the 5-30 synthetic? If so you'll be OK. 1.5 qts of 5w-30 vs 5w-50 is not going to hurt anything. It's not like they put in straight 30 dyno oil or something. Yes it's aggravating and I would be pissed as you are, but chalk it up as a lesson learmed and change your own from now on. Oil guys are not techs. I wouldn't let them touch my lawnmower. Hopefully they didn't charge you.

yes it was all full synthetic, thats what i'm coming to grips with that everything should be fine, believe me i alway prefer to change my own oil, i own my own business and unfortunately i'm short on free time, but now i guess i have to make time. appreciate the insight.

Because of lack of space in my garage and my driveway being on an incline, I have my local ford dealer change my oil. But I will only let them do it if I am standing there to referee the event. I had one other dealer say that for insurance reasons I was not allowed back there, so I got in the car and left. I dont have a problem with them doing it, but I have to watch or leave and go elsewhere.

That's BS on their part. To help prevent it...

You need to schedule your service appointments to avoid this with smaller dealerships. What I do:

I always call MY tech. When I got the car, I got his cell#. (there is only 1 at most dealerships for the Z cars, I figure the SVT cars are the same or similar), and make sure all the parts are in-stock to perform the work. Then bring the car in and HE(She?) is the only one who will touch it. This will make life easier on you, and enhance accountability on the part of the dealership. One time I came in and was assured another tech could work on my car. He said "Where is the oil-fill on the valve-cover?" DON'T TRUST REGULAR TECH's!

In your case, drain the oil and replace it. No harm has been done, but why not? You can afford that car, you can afford another bit of money to put the right oil in it. Have them pay for it, but if they refuse, I would still do it myself. Peace of mind is worth more than the $.

That being said, the viscosity isn't a big deal, and as long as it was the same oil/line the addpack should be the same. Still, peace of mind. I like my stuff done RIGHT.

Summary:

-Your engine is fine, change it if it bothers you

-Schedule your appointments with the SVT trained tech. Period. Noone else.

-I service my vehicle at the dealership because it creates a paper-trail that PROVES when the oil-changes were done, both to a prospective future buyer, or to the corporation, should a warranty issue arrise.

I go to the Parts Dept first and buiy the oil and filter I want used. Then I go to the Service Dept and schedule the change making sure they understanc that I'm am supplying the oil and filter and I want the empty bottles back. Then I sit right there and watch the work done. I too, want a Ford paper trail of history on my car. I agree, it's a pain in the ass but necessary for peace of mind!!!!

I go to the Parts Dept first and buiy the oil and filter I want used. Then I go to the Service Dept and schedule the change making sure they understanc that I'm am supplying the oil and filter and I want the empty bottles back. Then I sit right there and watch the work done. I too, want a Ford paper trail of history on my car. I agree, it's a pain in the ass but necessary for peace of mind!!!!

I trusted the dealership to do it right. I ran the part #'s on the parts used on the receipt, and they did. Trusting? Yes. However, the co-owner of the dealership and the service manager both come out and say "hi" when they see me. The dealership has shot 100% straight with me since I bought the car. If they say they put "XXXXX" part # on/in the car. Then they did. Find a dealership like that, and it will save massive headaches in the future. If you can't or don't live by one, then your solution is spot-on, and I have done that before myself.

If you're going through all that trouble you might as well do it yourself. You're investing the time anyway. The paper trail is your receipt for the oil. Just sayin...

If you're going through all that trouble you might as well do it yourself. You're investing the time anyway. The paper trail is your receipt for the oil. Just sayin...

That doesn't contain the mileage/VIN on it, and it won't show up in a service-record when the buyer pulls it. I want a REAL paper trail, not some receipt for something that may or may not have gone in the car, or might have been bought and put in another 2500 miles later, or whatever.

My paper trail is the Service Order from a Ford dealer for the manditory service that was rendered by an "Authorized" dealer. Doesn't matter at that point where the parts came from.

It is all about the feeling you get wit the dealership. If they won't let you watch or show you the empty containers, I would go to another dealership. I let people all the time watch their cars getting worked on and even spend the time to explain what does what and why things are done certain ways. As long as people understand that my workers are paid by the hour and that taking all day for explanations costs us all money and time, it is all good. I really have the coolest customers and friends...

Alex

It is all about the feeling you get wit the dealership. If they won't let you watch or show you the empty containers, I would go to another dealership. I let people all the time watch their cars getting worked on and even spend the time to explain what does what and why things are done certain ways. As long as people understand that my workers are paid by the hour and that taking all day for explanations costs us all money and time, it is all good. I really have the coolest customers and friends...

Alex

Awesome on you!

It wont hurt anything, But I would have had them change it.

I am right there with you on having problems with a local dealership. A Long story short, three trips for warranty work for NAV/SYNC (still not completely fixed) two things damaged and just replaced. Now two more things damaged, they are filing claims with Ford to cover it. I was told that my standards are to high and that they are going try to get the two other items that were just damaged and then recommend me to another ford dealership!!!! During the warranty work it to three visits 3-4 modules and a battery and like I said it is still not completely fixed. Now I have a stress mark in the my driver seat leather from it being pinched due to the mater tech d-bag not sitting right in the car, my nav screen is scratched, my t/c, hazard & truck buttons not working most likely due to that awesome master tech forgetting to hook it up, And my sirius still inop. BUT MY STANDARDS ARE TO HI....

THESE ARE JUST A P.O.S MUSTANG, ITS NOT LIKE WE PAID $60K FOR THESE CARS.

I would really like to know if their is anyone that would be ok with any of these situations. And I let them know right off the bat that I was very apprehensive about them working on my car, but the nav wasnt going to fix itself.

i would document, take pictures and write ford a letter. DO YOUR OWN OIL CHANGES and never again. many these days are so careless and don't give a crap.

if they respond sorry and want to give u a free oil change for next time . . . screw that, tell them just comp the parts and we'll call it even.

sorry bout ur experience, hate hear crap like this.

Summary:

-Your engine is fine, change it if it bothers you

-Schedule your appointments with the SVT trained tech. Period. Noone else.

-I service my vehicle at the dealership because it creates a paper-trail that PROVES when the oil-changes were done, both to a prospective future buyer, or to the corporation, should a warranty issue arrise.

+1 My SVT mechanic's name is Shawn at Downs Ford, Toms River, NJ. Only he touches my car... I'm going to have to ask for his cell number! :)

+1 My SVT mechanic's name is Shawn at Downs Ford, Toms River, NJ. Only he touches my car... I'm going to have to ask for his cell number! :)

Great call! When I bought my Z06, I was introduced to the shop manager, as well as the Z06 certified tech at the dealership, and given the cell #'s of both. If your dealership won't do that with a GT500 customer, go do it yourself. The sale is only a minor part of buying a car. I could have bought from any dealer I wanted. I chose the one I did for their service dept. I met them before I signed.

It amazes me that people are not more involved in the after-sale support staff at a dealership than they are, if they plan on actually having the car serviced there.

I've been using the same dealership for the past twenty-five years and have been very pleased. They know me and what I expect. Over the past two years they have started a program of free oil changes for the life of your new car purchase (from them, of course). Prior to that, I always changed my own oil. I've taken the time to know my Technician and he also knows how particular I am about my cars. My new 2011 just got it's second oil change and everything went smoothly. This is not a big dealership and as such, its easier to familiarize yourself with the people in the service department. You're not just a number.... and I like that. I am very lucky to have that peace of mind.

That doesn't contain the mileage/VIN on it, and it won't show up in a service-record when the buyer pulls it. I want a REAL paper trail, not some receipt for something that may or may not have gone in the car, or might have been bought and put in another 2500 miles later, or whatever.

If that makes you comfortable great...but in 40 years of driving I've never heard of a warranty claim deined because the dealer didn't change the oii. I know when I do my own oil change, it's done right.

I bought a service maintenance contract and have brought it in only once so far. I talked with the service manager, the owner and technicians regarding the awareness of how to service this vehicle. The owner has a Ford GT which is serviced by the same guy and so I get the same care as the owner (hopefully). With that said, I was present for the service and plan on doing so for each time I take it in.

The only thing I will pass on next time is the courtesy wash....came back with a minor scuff that won't polish out. Damnit. :rant2:

thanks to all your responses, if i do ever decide to take it to a dealership to get the oil changed i will definitely babysit the whole process even better, but then again if I have to do all of that I'm probably going to opt to change the oil myself.

If that makes you comfortable great...but in 40 years of driving I've never heard of a warranty claim deined because the dealer didn't change the oii. I know when I do my own oil change, it's done right.

But I don't have a clue who you are, and whoever buys your car (if you sell it) might not, either. I know if I were in the market for a used car and someone said "I know when I do my own oil change, it's done right.", and then the next guy said "Sure, she's been serviced right" and presented me with receipts for oil-changes at a dealership all at the proper intervals, there is no question which car I would buy.

In fact, I have NEVER seen a used car private-party with the oil clear and at the proper level.

Not on my '95 Trans Am

Not on my '01 WS6 Trans Am

Not on any vehicle I took in on trade when I worked for Ford.

Not even on the 2002 CETA at the LS1track day I went to who's owner was so proud of his limited edition blah blah blah... (he later asked me if I had any spare oil on me, lol)

So while you might very well be the best guy around about taking care of your car, if you sold it to me, I would just naturally go on the presumption that the only reason the oil was clean that day was because you changed the 9500 mile muck out of it yesterday because I was coming to look at it.

This is not a personal slight against you, just saying that anyone who trusts someone who claims anything about a car that can't back it up with fact is going to be taken sooner or later. Receipts for oil are far from fact. Plenty of times that oil can just sit around the garage a few months while other, seemingly more pressing things are done. With my DD, that's how it is (Don't buy my G20, it's a problem child.).

Another option I use, is to buy the oil/filter at discount and have a drive-thru quick oil change shop change it while you watch. The receipt says you provided the oil, which should be Ok for future reference.

The main thing is to have a string of oil-change receipts with that VIN and the mileage of the vehicle on it. Yes, sure, someone could forge all that, but it's a $55K car. C'mon. If someone hands you a pile of service documents that all jive, and then takes you to the dealership and asks them to show you the service history, chances are, it's legit, and it belongs to a guy who cares about his car and can afford to take great care of it and you are getting a nice ride that is as well taken care of as humanly possible.

Just imagine yourself buying a used car. Would you rather have a stack of ordered records, or some guy (who is motivated by the desire to sell his car for thousands of dollars)?

1.5 qts of 5W30 in the sump won't hurt anything. Besides, their straight 5W50 shears to a 40 grade in less than 1500 miles. Dealer oil techs are capable of a lot worse so I always turn down their complementary oil changes.

I don't have the time or space, nor do I care to face the hassle of disposing properly of the used oil, so for the Mustang and Cobra I bought/buy the oil and filter and he does it while I wait. I use the time to get under the lift and inspect the underside of the car for other things. For my daily drivers he supplies the right oil and filter for the car. We change every 3000 miles. I don't put anywhere near that on the Cobra so I change it twice a year - once in mid season and again in the fall before I put her to bed for the winter.

The "Grease Monkey" idea isn't all that bad - you buy the filter/oil that they probably don't have and while they won't let you in the service area most have a windowed waiting room where you can see what is going on. Tell them you want the oil changed and nothing more and want the bay closest to the glass.

Archived