TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Inside Line: GT500 vs. Boss 302LS vs. GT vs. V6

Wow...I had no idea that the Shelby was 200lbs more than the GT. Do you guys attribute that to all the things under the hood or elsewhere? It would be nice to see what the GT500 could do if it weighed in at 3500-3600lbs.

5.4 engine with a Supercharger and extra cooling over a natural 5.0 liter? Easy 200 pounds....it is probably more but I think the GT has a donut in the trunk as well.

5.4 engine with a Supercharger and extra cooling over a natural 5.0 liter? Easy 200 pounds....it is probably more but I think the GT has a donut in the trunk as well.

Yeah, I didn't think of the extra cooling needed too...and I never took off the supercharger..so I didn't know how much it weighed. I guess I better empty out my glove compartment and center console to lose some weight! LOL!

Yeah, I didn't think of the extra cooling needed too...and I never took off the supercharger..so I didn't know how much it weighed. I guess I better empty out my glove compartment and center console to lose some weight! LOL!

The GT500 engine complete is on the order of about 600#. Not sure if this includes the extra coolant, but that is its weight as a whole. The coyote comes in at something like 430#.

Thanks for the info on the weight of the engines, JWG223.

If you want something better, I can be more specific. Are ballparks ok here? I hate ballparks. Call it a disease of OCD and administering drugs for a living, but here are the accurate weights with source. I know if I wanted to know the weight of the engine in my 'vette, ballparks would not suffice. Respect if you are the same.

Weight: 837# - 102# for fancy new block = 735# (fully dressed). Sorry, I was off on my ball-park a bit for the Condor.

http://www.modulardepot.com/Engines/c96/p874/Supercharged_5.4L_SVT_Mustang_Cobra_Engine/product_info.html

Coyote I got right, though :) :

http://www.onlymustangfords.com/2011-ford-mustang-coyote-engine.html

@430#

For comparison:

LS7=458#

F20C1(S2000 engine, weight "wet")= 348#

LS9 (ZR1 engine, VERY! similar to the LSA, weights should be within 5-10#)= 530# .

VR38DETT (GT-R)= 608# (including exhaust up to and including the first set of catalytic converters/turbo outlet pipes)

• 1 month later...

If you want something better, I can be more specific. Are ballparks ok here? I hate ballparks. Call it a disease of OCD and administering drugs for a living, but here are the accurate weights with source. I know if I wanted to know the weight of the engine in my 'vette, ballparks would not suffice. Respect if you are the same.

Weight: 837# - 102# for fancy new block = 735# (fully dressed). Sorry, I was off on my ball-park a bit for the Condor.

http://www.modulardepot.com/Engines/c96/p874/Supercharged_5.4L_SVT_Mustang_Cobra_Engine/product_info.html

Coyote I got right, though :) :

http://www.onlymustangfords.com/2011-ford-mustang-coyote-engine.html

@430#

For comparison:

LS7=458#

F20C1(S2000 engine, weight "wet")= 348#

LS9 (ZR1 engine, VERY! similar to the LSA, weights should be within 5-10#)= 530# .

VR38DETT (GT-R)= 608# (including exhaust up to and including the first set of catalytic converters/turbo outlet pipes)

Are you sure that is the net weight of the engine, and not the gross weight of the engine plus any shipping stand/pallet that the engine comes on? Weights lisited in parts catalogs are typically shipping (gross) weights, since gross weights are needed to calculate shipping costs.

• 1 month later...

The problem with that test is it's one lap. For a better real world test they should have done 10 laps. I have a Boss so I can actually run full sessions and not heat soak after 2-3 laps. I'd kick my own ass in my Boss in that kind of test ;) In my first session at BIR last weekend, I ran 0.4 seconds faster in the stock "regular" Boss (just added camber plates) than my fastest lap EVER in my GT500 with a Griggs suspension and koni adj coilovers all around. Not to mention I was giving up 200 rwhp. The Boss is an amazing track machine.

The problem with that test is it's one lap. For a better real world test they should have done 10 laps. I have a Boss so I can actually run full sessions and not heat soak after 2-3 laps. I'd kick my own ass in my Boss in that kind of test ;) In my first session at BIR last weekend, I ran 0.4 seconds faster in the stock "regular" Boss (just added camber plates) than my fastest lap EVER in my GT500 with a Griggs suspension and koni adj coilovers all around. Not to mention I was giving up 200 rwhp. The Boss is an amazing track machine.

Yes one lap does not make a race. Let's face it the Boss is at home on the oval track, that's what it was designed for.

Archived