TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Opinions please, tire/traction set-up

Cobras55

Was hoping I could get some opinoins on this set up.......

My next mod I want to definately do is tires with better traction. Now originally I wanted to get my rims widened but I kinda want an easier out then that. Currently have the stock tires at 255/40/19 frt. and 285/35/19 rear.

Really like this idea:

Nitto NT05 275/35/ZR19 all four corners.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/tires/nitto/product/byName.do?tmn=NT05&typ=Passenger%2FPerformance

- Now i know I would be going a little smaller width in the back but would the half inch difference be that big of a difference? especially

with having the added traction?????

- Also would the 275/35 be a problem up front, any rubbing or cutting?

- And the number 1 question will I gain significant traction with these tires?

The reviews on these tires are great but I want the experts from Team Shelby opinions, thank you all for your interest........ :rockon:

Nittos are great you will be very happy. If you plan on driving in the rain then go with the NT555Rs.

I don't drive my car in the rain, and unfortunately they dont make the 555rs in 19's, but i am liking these nt05 alot...just wondering about 275's in the back instead of my 285s if there will be a big difference..

Nittos are great you will be very happy. If you plan on driving in the rain then go with the NT555Rs.

That is pretty risky. It's how my former roommate (alive and fine, just not my roommate anymore) totaled his C5. He was doing 55mph on 1604 in San Antonio on new 555R's when the rear end snapped around. AH was on and it didn't make a bit of difference. Total hydroplane and AH/Yaw control was worthless as the tires never bit.

If you want to drive the car only on sunny days, it's a great tire, but not for a DD or in the rain. Even if you do the speed limit and take it easy.

I don't drive my car in the rain, and unfortunately they dont make the 555rs in 19's, but i am liking these nt05 alot...just wondering about 275's in the back instead of my 285s if there will be a big difference..

Lol...just read this. You have the right idea!

I would try to stay with factory width/height tires maybe. I don't know how your GT500's are, but on 'vettes that will cause all sorts of error messages on the DIC. I am surprised at how few companies make good rubber for the GT500. I think the Nitto's might grip a little better if you can get away with running them sans error messages, though.

The stockers are actually wider overall than the nitto's would be mounted on the factory rims. The rubber compound is much better on nitto tires though.

Wouldn't go that wide on the front tires...the car already has a tendency to understeer. Adding wider tires up front would magnify that.

The stockers are actually wider overall than the nitto's would be mounted on the factory rims. The rubber compound is much better on nitto tires though.

Wouldn't go that wide on the front tires...the car already has a tendency to understeer. Adding wider tires up front would magnify that.

that's funny I was always under the assumption that would help the understeer? I know the stocks would be wider on my wheels there a bigger size....but would it be that much of a difference in width between a 275 and a 285??

that's funny I was always under the assumption that would help the understeer? I know the stocks would be wider on my wheels there a bigger size....but would it be that much of a difference in width between a 275 and a 285??

The 275s up front will be fine -- remember the 03/04 Termis? But, you may have some rubbing issues depending on how much the car is lowered...IMO, you should go wider in the rear (305s or 315s)-- it looks great and will help you with better hook up as well, but you will need wider rims...I switched out my stock F1s for Michelin PS2s because mine is a daily driver, except in the snow...good luck!

Jay

That is pretty risky. It's how my former roommate (alive and fine, just not my roommate anymore) totaled his C5. He was doing 55mph on 1604 in San Antonio on new 555R's when the rear end snapped around. AH was on and it didn't make a bit of difference. Total hydroplane and AH/Yaw control was worthless as the tires never bit.

If you want to drive the car only on sunny days, it's a great tire, but not for a DD or in the rain. Even if you do the speed limit and take it easy.

Lol...just read this. You have the right idea!

I would try to stay with factory width/height tires maybe. I don't know how your GT500's are, but on 'vettes that will cause all sorts of error messages on the DIC. I am surprised at how few companies make good rubber for the GT500. I think the Nitto's might grip a little better if you can get away with running them sans error messages, though.

I thought he he was asking about the NT05Rs, in which case the 555Rs would be a better option on the street. In this case yes the NT05 is a better rain tire than the 555Rs.

I thought he he was asking about the NT05Rs, in which case the 555Rs would be a better option on the street. In this case yes the NT05 is a better rain tire than the 555Rs.

I have the same car ( 2010 with 588 rwhp ) and my tuner recommended the same tire nitto 05 in 275.It has more footprint at 10.79 vs our stock 10.3.The marginal ht. change 26.65 vs.26.85 does not have any effect.The 05 is much better even in the rain than the 555's.A great choice.I WILL ONLY CHANGE THE REARS. discount tire .com has the best prices at $ 523.50 shipped for 2.

I have the same car ( 2010 with 588 rwhp ) and my tuner recommended the same tire nitto 05 in 275.It has more footprint at 10.79 vs our stock 10.3.The marginal ht. change 26.65 vs.26.85 does not have any effect.The 05 is much better even in the rain than the 555's.A great choice.I WILL ONLY CHANGE THE REARS. discount tire .com has the best prices at $ 523.50 shipped for 2.

what do you think of putting the 275s up front as well? I am lowered an inch up front...would this be better in handling or worse? Or should I just go with the 245/40/19 up front????

245/40/19 s up front or 275/40/19 ???? which is better bet???

The entire dynamics of your suspension have been changed. I would ask a shop that knows what they are doing. See if Grigg's or someone can help. Those guys know what they are doing.

As to traction out back, you are going to get a lot better results changing compounds than you are adding .5" width.

Archived