TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Best way to store a 07 GT500 hood?

Hi guys,

I picked up a new (or used depending on your perspective), unpainted Ford GT500 hood for 07-09s. Bare aluminum finish and including the stock hood vents. Unfortunately no box.

Do I need to be concerned on how I store this?

Will this thing warp over time if I don't pad it properly?

Would it be best to just hang it on the wall suspended by a couple of hooks using the holes on the underside?

It was for sale locally by a non-GT500 owner. Since it was local, no shipping, I felt it was a really good deal and hard to pass up.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Dan

Hi guys,

I picked up a new (or used depending on your perspective), unpainted Ford GT500 hood for 07-09s. Bare aluminum finish and including the stock hood vents. Unfortunately no box.

Do I need to be concerned on how I store this?

Will this thing warp over time if I don't pad it properly?

Would it be best to just hang it on the wall suspended by a couple of hooks using the holes on the underside?

It was for sale locally by a non-GT500 owner. Since it was local, no shipping, I felt it was a really good deal and hard to pass up.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Dan

Are you going to re sell it or keep it ? I would cover with a breathable blanket & hang on a wall.

I have a friend who builds hoods, fenders etc for many muscle cars. Items that are not EP coded (black) he coats them with Crisco (yes the grease from the store) to ensure they don't rust. You can hang the hood on a wall or in the attic via bolt holds and hardware.

Another trick I found was to bolt up a sturdy piece of angle iron to each set of hood hinge holes as that will keep the bottom corners from coming in contact with the ground along with providing a good surface to use for attaching it to the wall. I used 18 inch pieces of 1 inch angle iron (think it is 1/8 inch), which keeps the bottom of the hood ~ 5in. off the floor. For now, my stock GT hood is just on those angle iron legs laying against the wall under my stairs in the basement.

WHy do they need to be lubed I thought they were aluminum.

Aluminum actually DOES "rust", technically.

Rust is Iron oxide. Oxide being the reaction from oxygen.

Aluminum gets Aluminum oxide. It is a white-ish powder looking "rust" rather than the red rust you see on iron (ferrous oxide).

Like someone else said, WD-40 is sufficiant but you may need to occasionally reapply a coat as it is VERY thin mineral oil.

And like some others, I'd hang it OR, if you have rafters in your garage lay it right side up across the rafters. Just DO NOT set anything on top of it or it can easily bend.

Standing a hood up on the trailing edge is how they are typicall stored at dealers and warehouses. Just make sure you have the two corners well protected in blocks of styrofoam. With a hood standing on edge, it takes up CONSIDERABLY less room with is why they store them that way as opposed to laying flat (that and the lack of possible damage from some dumbass stepping on the box).

To sum it up, MY suggestion would be up in the Rafters as my first choice, hanging HIGH on a wall as my second choice. Or even hang it upside down from the rafters with a pair of nylon motorcycle tie-down straps (with the hooks on both ends and a one-way cinch lever in the middle). If it was painted, look through a couple of recent threads where the owners have made "wall art" out of them by putting colored lights behind them and hanging them (via the angle iron as explained earlier) in their "Man Cave".

Looks pretty cool, if ya ask me!

Whatever is easiest for YOU,

Phill

Aluminium won't rust like steel but it does oxidizeso putting a preventive layer of oil/lube or wd-40 etc will prevent this happening

Bingo, there ya go. He said the same thing I did but in about 1500 less words! <lol>

But like I said, WD *does* eventually "dry out" (sort'a) over time. It takes a long time, but it does dry out. Spary it once every other year or so and you'll be fine. In fact, when I spray WD to protect metal I wipe off the excess (runs/drips) with a shop rag and "spread" the WD around on the surface (I've used it on fresh cylinder bores with good success).

Phill

WD40 does not work. Crisco is an interesting thought. Maybe wax it?

I can tell you that I would use bolts with small L brackets and hang it from the ceiling.

I can't speak for how WD works on Aluminum but I can tell you from experience that it works GREAT on iron engine blocks and in particular, fresh iron (from hot tanking the block and/or boring the cylinders).

I've had sheet aluminum in my garage for YEARS (I built my own bodies, dashes, tubs, etc) but I never had to coat them with anything. Whatever it had on it from the Sheet Metal shop kept it from oxidizing. It felt kind of like oil....so my best bet would be to just wipe/coat it with motor oil and wipe the "wet" off with a shop rag.

I'd stay away from wax. I've painted my own body and frames too and wax can be a REAL M'fugger to get off. Yeah, I've used wax removers and it's still a bitch to get clean.

On the other hand, petro based chemicals come of REAL easy with a shop rag and either laquer thinner or acetone, both redily available at most auto or auto paint stores.

Crisco is animal fat (lard) as far as I know so I'm not sure how hard OR easy it might be to remove. But if your dog licked it, at least he wouldn't get sick (not saying he WOULD with motor oil but I suppose he COULD?).

I agree that brackets would probably be best, just for good insurance. I use my tie-downs all the time and the hooks are pretty big so unless you have a couple of decent size holes to hook 'em into...brackets might be a must.

When I lived in Cali I had a Winged Modified Midget (sprint car) hanging from the rafters in my garage. I used ratchet type motorcycle tie-downs to hang it with and it hung there for MANY years without any problem (get GOOD ones!). I did have a chain wrapped around the halo and one of the rafters though, just in case the nylon straps broke (i.e. insurance).

YMMV,

Phill

• 4 weeks later...

Archived