TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Opinions on these wheels please (for track wheels)

07SGT5687

Personally, I would not track anything beyond 18". These particular wheels do not appear to fit our cars (earlier Mustangs only). Then there is the issue of weight. I am in the process of securing relatively low weight wheels for the track. I am getting all black (that is the color they are at the end of the day anyway) and sticking with 9.5" wide, running 275s all around.

Jim

Personally, I would not track anything beyond 18". These particular wheels do not appear to fit our cars (earlier Mustangs only). Then there is the issue of weight. I am in the process of securing relatively low weight wheels for the track. I am getting all black (that is the color they are at the end of the day anyway) and sticking with 9.5" wide, running 275s all around.

Thanks. I hear what you're saying about the 18" max. Plus 19" tires seem to be quite a bit more $$. But I disagree that these would fit. I believe the seller has his info mixed up. As far as I can tell, our cars are the 5x114.3 bolt pattern and my current wheels are 24mm, so these being 25mm, I'm pretty sure they would fit... But I'm on your side that these might not be a good way to go anyway.

What kind of cost are you ballparking for the wheels you mentioned?

Been keeping an eye out for a set of track wheels (after my new found addiction last weekend), and I found these this morning.

Thoughts on them as a track wheel? The offset is pretty wide, so I'm not sure if that will work, but other than that... thoughts? Price seems decent.

You can find something lighter and more attractive.

I can't speak to these specifically but I've looked at manufacturers samples of wheels nearly identical to these. May even be from the same manufacturer. In many cases the chrome lip on wheels like that is actually a steel sleeve that slides over the aluminum lip. It looks nice and is very solid and safe but it makes for a very heavy wheel.

Since you are looking at 19" Wheels, I take it you are Auto Crossing.................

TWO THINGS:

<01> 19" Tires are not common Tires, check with your local Tire Dealers and they will most likely tell you the same. Go with 18".

<02> The phrase "MAY FIT" leaves the seller off the hook incase they DON'T Fit your Car.

For Track use, you will want to go with a Light Wheel but also a very Strong Wheel. Good luck and have fun.

These wheels will not clear your Baer brakes. 24mm is the SN95 offset.

FRPP Track Pak or Boss 302 wheels are affordable for 19s and will clear you brakes.

Hankook Ventus V4 K110 Evo in 275 35 19 are great track day tire.

Hankook Ventus V4 K110 Evo in 275 35 19 are great track day tire.

But, Michael, aren't those still street tires? Why not something like the Nitto NT-01, that is still, technically, a street legal tire but with some tread and with a reasonable (100) tread wear rating? It is an in between tire - in between street tires and something like the BF Goodrich G-Force R-1, which has a tread wear index of 40.

Jim

Call Rehagen Racing. They have set several members up with OE wheels and track tire resonabley

http://rehagenracing.com/

Thanks, I'll check it out.

$1,150 for the four.

Jim

A bit rich for my blood. But thanks. Trying to stay under a grand... way under preferrably!

Since you are looking at 19" Wheels, I take it you are Auto Crossing.................

TWO THINGS:

<01> 19" Tires are not common Tires, check with your local Tire Dealers and they will most likely tell you the same. Go with 18".

<02> The phrase "MAY FIT" leaves the seller off the hook incase they DON'T Fit your Car.

For Track use, you will want to go with a Light Wheel but also a very Strong Wheel. Good luck and have fun.

Good call on the 19" tires. I almost did 19's on my last Mustang until I realized how uncommon they were... and hence expensive and not instock anywhere.

I never take any stock in what the sellers say about it fitting anyway... I only worry about the actual dimensions.

These wheels will not clear your Baer brakes. 24mm is the SN95 offset.

FRPP Track Pak or Boss 302 wheels are affordable for 19s and will clear you brakes.

Not sure I understand how the 24mm is an "SN95 offset". I have 24mm Razors on my car right now. I see the FRPP track Pack wheels are pretty reasonable... but are they forged? But the Bos 302 wheels affordable?

These are what I REALLY want... but then I realized the price was.... EACH!!!

But, Michael, aren't those still street tires? Why not something like the Nitto NT-01, that is still, technically, a street legal tire but with some tread and with a reasonable (100) tread wear rating? It is an in between tire - in between street tires and something like the BF Goodrich G-Force R-1, which has a tread wear index of 40.

Jim

You are correct. While wheel weight is important, keep in mind your experience level and how far you want to go with this sport. You dont have to spend a ton of money to have a good time. At the [point when you start stripping interior and having a cage put in, it may be time to look at light weight wheels.

Archived