TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Good signs ADM's are going bye bye :)

chuckstang

Toay I decided to pop back in a large Ford dealer in my area which just a few months ago would not talk to you unless you offered 65k or more for a GT500 but today I said how bout an 08 for 50k? One guy (typical salesman) jumps up and says, "no 08s, just 2007." I quickly set him in his place and then a higher up guy after hearing the the convo came over and talked to me knowing that I was not some misinformed bone head. So I told him, can you order a 2008 GT500 for me for $50k...He pauses, thinks about it, and gives me his card and says call back next month when Ford releases the exact specs and we will order you one for $50k.

Now, I have no intentions of paying that much but the point is, this is a large volume Ford dealer that not too long ago was only taking 25k over and now they instantly reply back, yes we will order you one for $50k no problem!

Wow, times must be changing quickly. By the way, I live in the Boston area.

I do have one question, if you find one out of state 1xxx miles away, is it absolutely necessary to fly out there and go to the dealer to sign the papers and look the car over, or can one just rely on them to prep/do what ever it is they do for a new car of this status and also rely on the transport company (InterCity Lines, Elite, Exotic...I have not decided) to load the car up and bring it back home to you safe and sound?

Please give me your thoughts and advice for those that have bought long distance and did not drive it back. Im not interested in doing that if the dealership is thousands of miles away haha.

THANKS!!!!!! :)

Toay I decided to pop back in a large Ford dealer in my area which just a few months ago would not talk to you unless you offered 65k or more for a GT500 but today I said how bout an 08 for 50k? One guy (typical salesman) jumps up and says, "no 08s, just 2007." I quickly set him in his place and then a higher up guy after hearing the the convo came over and talked to me knowing that I was not some misinformed bone head. So I told him, can you order a 2008 GT500 for me for $50k...He pauses, thinks about it, and gives me his card and says call back next month when Ford releases the exact specs and we will order you one for $50k.

Now, I have no intentions of paying that much but the point is, this is a large volume Ford dealer that not too long ago was only taking 25k over and now they instantly reply back, yes we will order you one for $50k no problem!

I do have one question, if you find one out of state 1xxx miles away, is it absolutely necessary to fly out there and go to the dealer to sign the papers and look the car over, or can one just rely on them to prep/do what ever it is they do for a new car of this status and also rely on the transport company (InterCity Lines, Elite, Exotic...I have not decided) to load the car up and bring it back home to you safe and sound?

Please give me your thoughts and advice for those that have bought long distance and did not drive it back. Im not interested in doing that if the dealership is thousands of miles away haha.

Verbal agreement with this car mean nothing. Get it in writing otherwise your just wasting your time.

You can buy it from any dealer & have it drop shipped to a delaer near you. It will leave Flat Rock & be shipped to a dealer of your choice . Not sure it may have to be n S.V.T dealer

Are you sure about this because from everyone I have talked to they said, you have to pay for it yourself through an outside shipping company? Even if I had to pay to have Ford drop ship it to a dealer near me, I would much rather do that, than fly somewhere 1000 miles away just to see it put in an enclosed trailer and then fly back home.

I hope many people read this thread because the last thing I or anyone looking for a car would want, is to get screwed because they didn't know how it works buying a new car from Ford.

Thanks again!

Are you sure about this because from everyone I have talked to they said, you have to pay for it yourself through an outside shipping company? Even if I had to pay to have Ford drop ship it to a dealer near me, I would much rather do that, than fly somewhere 1000 miles away just to see it put in an enclosed trailer and then fly back home.

I hope many people read this thread because the last thing I or anyone looking for a car would want, is to get screwed because they didn't know how it works buying a new car from Ford.

Thanks again!

You can have the vehicle drop shipped to another dealer if you get the request in before it is "scheduled". There is a code that the dealer enters on the order to do this. It will go on the window sticker too. If you waite till it's on the line....your too late. The recieving dealer will charge you for the PDI too so you will not need to pay that to the dealer that you ordered the car from.

Hey Chuck,

My only concern in drop shipping is whos responcible if there is damage to the car in transit. You might want to make sure that the local dealer is the one, but they will no doubt want something to make that worth their while. Maybe you could insure it in some way or through the trucking company. If the car comes in dented or damaged, you might have to ship it back to the dealer you bought it at and that would not be good.

I wouldnt put much stock in what some dealer said, they will say anything to get you back in the door. Whatever he thinks he can hit you for once he has product available will be the order of the day. We have seen many a member here having had their verbal and in some cases, written agreements being welched on by dealers. When you start seeing Shelbys sitting on lots for a while instead of being rare as sasquatch encounters youll know ADM time is over.

Good luck, hope you hook up with a '08!

KC666

The general sales manager at this dealership said that the increase in price to the 08 would be very little, about 2% and that gas tax would probably stay the same (Ford will find a way to keep it around the same is basically what he was saying). There is still no hard proof that gas tax will go up that much, they could tune the car differently or someone sneak a way past this new for 08 gas regulations (that I dont fully understand).

Also, if a dealer says 10k over, do they mean 10k on top of the total msrp or on top of the base price? I ask this because the manager seemed to think 50k was 10k over because told me, "well, lets see a coupe with no options is 41k, so well take 50k for a no option car, sure." I only ask because 50k out the door, if that is the price, seems like it would be a great deal!

Thanks!

The general sales manager at this dealership said that the increase in price to the 08 would be very little, about 2% and that gas tax would probably stay the same (Ford will find a way to keep it around the same is basically what he was saying). There is still no hard proof that gas tax will go up that much, they could tune the car differently or someone sneak a way past this new for 08 gas regulations (that I dont fully understand).

Also, if a dealer says 10k over, do they mean 10k on top of the total msrp or on top of the base price? I ask this because the manager seemed to think 50k was 10k over because told me, "well, lets see a coupe with no options is 41k, so well take 50k for a no option car, sure." I only ask because 50k out the door, if that is the price, seems like it would be a great deal!

Thanks!

Chuck, I only had one option. The shaker 1000. The price was $44,270. The Shaker 1000 was $1,295. So a base coupe is $42,975.

I think you wer right on your first statement.You wont be paying $50k for one..........It will be more.............

No offesnse but I know the new england market very well and we are in part of the country where these cars are IMPOSSIBLE to find. The dealer just wants to give himself time ..................There have been many dealers who have had deals for OVER MSRP who have shafted their buyer by selling them out from under them and other sneaky tricks. Id be very suprised if the boston market EVER comes close.New england just doesnt get alot of mustangs in general nevermind gt500s compared to the other parts of the country.

Good Luck!

How does he even know what the price will be??? Ford could bump these by $5k easy after seeing the mark-up dealers have been getting. Remember the Ford GT? Ford bumped that one by $10k in the 4th quater of 05!

Now I don't think they will jump that much but $5k wouldn't come as a shock to me. And as far as that GM saying maybe a 2% jump, where does he get that from? Ford has not released any info pertaining to this and there is no way he would know. He his merely speculating this!

Have him put his money where his mouth is! Get it in writing and tell him you want a clause that states the dealership will pay you $25k as liquidated damages if they fail to sell you a new 08 shelby GT500 for ANY REASON! Watch how fast they back peddal on that one!!!

Hey Mr. Dealer, I am willing to give a $5k non-refundable deposit so it is only fair that you give me $25k for breach of contract as liquidated damages if you fail to perform on your part!

Good Luck getting them to agree on that!

Thanks again!

I`am sure as I had it done, but yes your right there is cost usually around $200.

talk, talk, talk.......and no ink. You're wasting your time Chuck. You've been bitchin for 1.5 years now, jump in and enjoy the fun............why didn't you just say an 08 at msrp and leave the dough????

+2

I agree. Pull the trigger dude.

Do you really believe he'll honor his word? His statement was meaningless. We've seen this too many times...some sales people will tell you anything to get you coming back. Heck, they don't even know what MSRP will be for an '08 yet, and some people are saying the GG tax is going up.

I think you wer right on your first statement.You wont be paying $50k for one..........It will be more.............

No offesnse but I know the new england market very well and we are in part of the country where these cars are IMPOSSIBLE to find. The dealer just wants to give himself time ..................There have been many dealers who have had deals for OVER MSRP who have shafted their buyer by selling them out from under them and other sneaky tricks. Id be very suprised if the boston market EVER comes close.New england just doesnt get alot of mustangs in general nevermind gt500s compared to the other parts of the country.

Huh...what do you mean don't get alot of Mustangs? This gt500 is by no means a rare car, if you go by how many they produce, my current 99 is much more rare then this new gt500. There is absolutely no way this car will sell over msrp throughout its entrie production. It is not a matter of if adms go away, but when. Look on ebay and just see how many can not sell at 55k for a coupe. Sport cars are not as big in New England (cant drive them most of the year) as say Cali or Florida which is where most of the worst gouging takes place.

If you dont mind me asking, how do you know the boston area market well, are you a dealer and if so that would explain your views on the cars rare persona. The GT500 is all smoke and mirrors, great marketing job by Ford and the dealers to fool the public into paying more for a car that more than enough will be produced to meet the demand. A 40k plus Mustang is not an easy sell for the long term, remember the gt500 has not even been out for a year, just gota give it time.

Ok sheesh, I sense some animosity, this manager did not give me great news or anything just hope.

thx for the replies and I will keep you updated, but I probably will wait til next month before going back because like some said, Ford could bump the price up or gas tax goes up 2k, shit gas prices might go up another dollar lol

Thanks again!

Do you really believe he'll honor his word? His statement was meaningless. We've seen this too many times...

Are you referring to the dealer or chuckstang? Obviously I'm taking liberties with the way I cropped your post, but chuckstang essentially made an offer he has no intention of honoring by his own admission, and yet everyone is focusing on whether or not the dealer will honor their end?

I'm certainly not one to defend the dealers' practice of selling cars out from under people, but in fairness it happens to dealers on a daily basis. I can't count the number of times I've reached an agreement with a customer and they have to "think about it" only to find out days later they bought somewhere else. They're perfectly within their right to do so, but it just goes to show that 'sex' :do what: between the dealer and customer goes both ways.

In the current context, we have a meaningless statement from the customer (chuckstang) and an equally meaningless statement from the dealer. It's a toss-up.

Yout got it rat in cage. Everyone read into the price thing too much. It was just an observation that literally 2 months ago that same manager wouldn't even give me the right time of day and now his ears perk up to the tune of a measly $50k LOL (joking about the measly part)

Huh...what do you mean don't get alot of Mustangs? This gt500 is by no means a rare car, if you go by how many they produce, my current 99 is much more rare then this new gt500. There is absolutely no way this car will sell over msrp throughout its entrie production. It is not a matter of if adms go away, but when. Look on ebay and just see how many can not sell at 55k for a coupe. Sport cars are not as big in New England (cant drive them most of the year) as say Cali or Florida which is where most of the worst gouging takes place.

If you dont mind me asking, how do you know the boston area market well, are you a dealer and if so that would explain your views on the cars rare persona. The GT500 is all smoke and mirrors, great marketing job by Ford and the dealers to fool the public into paying more for a car that more than enough will be produced to meet the demand. A 40k plus Mustang is not an easy sell for the long term, remember the gt500 has not even been out for a year, just gota give it time.

Sure no problem.

I own a dealership and have for 11 years, and my cousin has been a sales manager in a ford dealership for 10 years now...

First of all, The mustang shelby is a "rare care" when you are comparing numbers to a regular mustangin the grand scheme of things.If it wasnt so rare , that how come you dont own one yet?? Simple, supply and demand.

I know you dont want to leave new england.You said it in your post but what you dont know is the fact that most dealerships outside of newengland are 3-4 times the size of the average new england store.Thats not even taking into concideration of weather.They in the end will get more shelbys than anyone.If you understood how new vehicle sales went,You would understand that in order to get more than 1 shelby, you must sell ALOT of "regular" mustangs. I know for a fact that there are some dealers in new england who have a hard time getting regular gt mustangs. Thats because in GENERAL like I said, new england sells 1/2 the amount on a yearly basis than the average dealer out of new england.Those are facts, cut and dry .#s dont lie.It gets more like a 1/10 when you reach some of the southern states.I agree with you on the smoke and mirrors.I totally agree. But the numbers dont change.There are way more mustang buyers now than in 99 also. The last body style sales were stale long before 99

When your in new england and only VERY FEW dealers have any for sale.The price is going to stay right up there.Alot of people are like you.They wont leave NE for a car. People like yourself are going to pay more than someone who will travel.There are just NOT enough cars in new england period.If you dont believe me, go on ebay and do a search everyday for 6 months like i have on shelbys .Make sure you do it by "closest to you". You will see exactly what i mean.There are NONE FOR SALE.Any ones that have been ordered were for the owner of the dealership or had list 3ft long..............Thats ok when you live down south and might get a few cars but up here you are lucky ,real lucky to get one.

If your lucky, you MIGHT see ONE CAR for sale in NEW england once a month............Ive done the research.

When i bought mine at SARAT FORD in agawam, They were the ONLY dealer in NE at the time who had a car for sale. I called 48 different dealers from the ford website and was told to basically give up. I didnt.The 48th dealer i called told me about sarat ford. They had 6 shelbys.Most were bought in other parts of the country for 10k over and being sold for $20-$25K over.................I was "lucky" to have paid 18k over at the time.I was REAL LUCKY to find one in New england.

At the same time the going rate was $58k in georgia. I figured out the cost and it was about the same.I paid 61k. It would have cost $3k in fuel lodging and transportation. along with time i do not have.

I totally agree with you about people getting screwed on adms but if you want a car that bad you pay for it.If you dont , you pass.Its really that simple. Yes, ADMs will come down .They will NEVER sell at MSRP on a regular basis IMO.No more than they do now.There will always be honorable dealerships who will do it.Dont count these.Please refer to the "going market".

If you know of so many shelbys for sale in new england please tell me about them.I know buyers left and right that are looking. Where all these cars?? If they are not rare, tell me where i can buy a few.........

The guy is mad & jealous that he doesn't have one, so he wants those of us who have one not to feel good about it. You don't like it, don't buy one. Just keep going around kicking tires, irritating people and making offers that you don't intend on following through with.

I'd bet he is always putting down what he is jealous of.

Are you referring to the dealer or chuckstang? Obviously I'm taking liberties with the way I cropped your post, but chuckstang essentially made an offer he has no intention of honoring by his own admission, and yet everyone is focusing on whether or not the dealer will honor their end?

I'm certainly not one to defend the dealers' practice of selling cars out from under people, but in fairness it happens to dealers on a daily basis. I can't count the number of times I've reached an agreement with a customer and they have to "think about it" only to find out days later they bought somewhere else. They're perfectly within their right to do so, but it just goes to show that 'sex' :do what: between the dealer and customer goes both ways.

In the current context, we have a meaningless statement from the customer (chuckstang) and an equally meaningless statement from the dealer. It's a toss-up.

I was talking about the dealer, but you are correct...it works both ways. I knew the answer on chuckstang's side...because he admitted he would "never pay that much". What I was trying to point out is that the price is meaningless unless there is a signed agreement. Yes, I know that a verbal agreement is also binding, but unless there were objective witnesses, that won't hold water.

My comment was not so much about someone not honoring an agreement, but more about basing an opinion about what ADMs are doing on such a "flakey" verbal banter.

Rat, the way I see it is this....if a dealer gives me an offer, they should be willing to put it in writing. If a customer makes an offer, they should be willing to give a non-refundable deposit. Otherwise, any "agreement" is without much meaning or force.

Dave

Archived