TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Front Brake Vents on KR

tdshelby

The previous owner of my 2008 GT500KR installed the front brake vents, but the screens over the small round intakes in the grills are missing. Do any of you know where I can get them? I looked in the Shelby Performance Parts catalog and looked like you have to buy the whole thing and $120 is too much to pay for 2 small screens!

If anyone from Shelby Performance is monitoring this or anyone else who has some insight into this can help I'd apprecieate it.

Thanks,

Todd Shelby

Call Shelby and see if you can purchase just the screens.

I called Shelby, and they had no individual screens. They put me in touch with the manufacturer, who says they have no screens. It's interesting that the SS has screens but not the KR. Seems rocks, leaves, other (stuff) could get blown right into my brake rotor!

I called Shelby, and they had no individual screens. They put me in touch with the manufacturer, who says they have no screens. It's interesting that the SS has screens but not the KR. Seems rocks, leaves, other (stuff) could get blown right into my brake rotor!

That is why they are for track use only.

I leave mine connected for limited street driving on my track car, doesn't bother anything. No vents on that one.

I thought about trying regular screen material, you know, like a screen door or screen window. Put this screen over the back side of the bezel, zip tie it, and then put the orange hose over the inside bezel. That would keep a lot of stuff from entering the tubes and getting all over your rotors and pads... Not as pretty as the screens on the SS though.

• 2 months later...

Thought I'd bump this up with a fix.

Real simple. Go to Home Depot or Lowes (or any hardware store) and pick up 1/4" screen/wire fence material. Mark the top of the black plastic cover, then pop out the cover to the front brake inlet and use that as a template.

Lay it on top of the screen but make sure the screen pattern is off set on a 45 degree angle to the mark on the plastic cover. Cut the material with wire cutters following the outline of the plastic cover. Just make your cut a little wider than the plastic cover.

IMPORTANT: Tape the inside of the aluminum bezel to prevent scratching it when you install the wire screen. Curve in the edges of the wire screen and slide it into the bezel opening, until it goes past it. There's a slot just behind the bezel that the enlarged screen will snap into. Now, snake your other hand behind the air opening and push the screen outward while holding it in place from the front with your other hand. Work on straightening out the screen with your finger tips. When you're done, remove the tape.

Final product should look like this.

screenng.jpg

I since hooked up the air inlet cooling ducts and backing plate. The backing plate was easy enough. The ducts were a bit of a challenge to route. I can't turn the wheel either hard right, or left, without some rubbing going on. I just have to keep that in mind when doing hard turns.

Oh, one other note, the two brackets, and rivets supplied with the kit are not to be used on the KR or GT-500. It's not needed since our grilles have the small extension tube already afixed to the back of the grille. Mustang GT's lack this feature.

Does the aluminum bezel come in the kit?

Also, at the grille-tube interface, do you think we could also install a finer grade of screen or even filter material (i.e central air AC filter) to keep out finer road debris off our rotors/pads?

Does the aluminum bezel come in the kit?

Also, at the grille-tube interface, do you think we could also install a finer grade of screen or even filter material (i.e central air AC filter) to keep out finer road debris off our rotors/pads?

Gary, I'm almost sure that the SS kit does not come with the aluminum bezels.

As for using a finer grade material, I did not see anything at the store that would be stiff enough to work. One thing you could try is to make the screens like I did, then cut out an air conditioner filter to fit, and push it in front of the metal screen. I bet that would work in keeping out small foreign objects from entering the air ducts.

The Shelby brake duct bezels come with black screen pretty much *exactly* like what is pictured above.

They have a grooved rubber ring around the outside perimeter so the wire won't scratch or cut into the bezels.

I could take a picture if you want (after I put new batteries in my camera...THANKS TO MY GRANDSON).

Phill

Archived