TEAM SHELBY FORUM

It was only a matter of time

motorjock205

Well, got tagged last night for speeding...61/45 by UTPB Campus cop...it's a shame that they have the authority to write tickets on the public streets...he should have been on campus watching all the good people there, but NO, he has to be out and tags me when I'm putting a Toyota Tundra 4X4 Truck in his place...Oh well, I guess it was only a matter of time...LOL First ticket in the Shelby in three years of ownership...not bad odds I guess...

I've been pulled over once by a sheriff's deputy; verbal warning only. I got chased down fast by a Bastrop policewoman; didn't pull me over.

My wife has gotten two tickets in her putt putt PT Cruiser within a year...she is so pissed off :rant2: ..... :hysterical:

Well, got tagged last night for speeding...61/45 by UTPB Campus cop...it's a shame that they have the authority to write tickets on the public streets...he should have been on campus watching all the good people there, but NO, he has to be out and tags me when I'm putting a Toyota Tundra 4X4 Truck in his place...Oh well, I guess it was only a matter of time...LOL First ticket in the Shelby in three years of ownership...not bad odds I guess...

For shame, Carl! You are right, however, that's really good for the length of ownership! I've been stopped several times, BUT, (and I'm probably going to jinx myself now!), no tickets yet!

I note he wrote it for 16 mph over the limit - I think, because it's over 15 mph, it triggers "bonus" points on the ticket!

Sorry about your run-in with John Law!

Sam

My last speeding ticket was in 1976. :shift: In a Pinto!!!!!!!

Becareful Carl, you're one mattress tag away from becoming a 1%'er. :hysterical:

My last ticket was July 4th 2007, two years before the SGT . I did 60mph thru a boothless Toll plaza/arch. I was pissed. They have since raised the speed limit at that location.

Texas does not have a points system, yet. Nor does Texas require insurance reporting, yet.

Typically in Texas we have one of three options; Deferred Adjudication, Defensive Driving, or hiring an Attorney who fills out some paper work, then shows up in court where the Judge promptly dismisses the ticket as he/she doesn't want to invest the time to actually deal with the Attorney. You are usually out of pocket for anything between $75 and $250 and depending on the city the record is usually cleared between 3 to 12 months.

Texas does not have a points system, yet. Nor does Texas require insurance reporting, yet.

Typically in Texas we have one of three options; Deferred Adjudication, Defensive Driving, or hiring an Attorney who fills out some paper work, then shows up in court where the Judge promptly dismisses the ticket as he/she doesn't want to invest the time to actually deal with the Attorney. You are usually out of pocket for anything between $75 and $250 and depending on the city the record is usually cleared between 3 to 12 months.

Sounds like quite a system . I believe we have the best if your caught going 40 over the speed limit they call it street racing , the fine is $1,500 max. & your car & lic removed from you for 7days.

Actually, Texas has implemented a points system now....I haven't looked at it real hard, because I'm not really worried about it, but they DO have one now....Last ticket I got was going over a bridge on the downhill side in a rental car in Corpus in July of 2008...I wasn't even in the Shelby! Oh well, $107.10 to take a Defensive Driving Class...$280 for Deferred Adjudication....Opting for the DD Class...cheaper....

Actually, Texas has implemented a points system now....I haven't looked at it real hard, because I'm not really worried about it, but they DO have one now....Last ticket I got was going over a bridge on the downhill side in a rental car in Corpus in July of 2008...I wasn't even in the Shelby! Oh well, $107.10 to take a Defensive Driving Class...$280 for Deferred Adjudication....Opting for the DD Class...cheaper....

Wow! I didn't know it had been passed. I knew it was being talked about.

Online defensive driving is $25 :happy feet:

Sounds like quite a system . I believe we have the best if your caught going 40 over the speed limit they call it street racing , the fine is $1,500 max. & your car & lic removed from you for 7days.

You are from Ontario? Cheers. The law changed last year.

The law is 50 klm over posted limit or abour 31.5 mph over and it is classified as "street racing", as you say. The maximum fine is $10,000.00. They can impound your ride for seven days. On the first day the law took effect, a 19 year old by got clocked by my work doing 177klm (110mph) in an 80 klm (50mph) zone. He was arrested, mums car towed and later got the maximum fine.

16 mph over (26 kph) over would get a huge fine and four demerit points here.

16 mph over is nothing in our high horse power cars. The braking systems are far superior to average family type cars and vans. The majority of high performance car drivers skills make up for a little excess speed, in my opinion.

We need an Autobahn!!!

You are from Ontario? Cheers. The law changed last year.

The law is 50 klm over posted limit or abour 31.5 mph over and it is classified as "street racing", as you say. The maximum fine is $10,000.00. They can impound your ride for seven days. On the first day the law took effect, a 19 year old by got clocked by my work doing 177klm (110mph) in an 80 klm (50mph) zone. He was arrested, mums car towed and later got the maximum fine.

16 mph over (26 kph) over would get a huge fine and four demerit points here.

16 mph over is nothing in our high horse power cars. The braking systems are far superior to average family type cars and vans. The majority of high performance car drivers skills make up for a little excess speed, in my opinion.

We need an Autobahn!!!

Yeah, I'd definately love an Autobahn....but living out here in West Texas is the next best thing....long straight roads that are in very good condition....unfortunately, the local cops and troopers are always just lurking out of view...Radar detector does a pretty good job, but I hadn't put it back in the car after having the hood scoop replaced at the dealer...My bad there...

Carl, no badge? Or do the campus cops not believe in a little professional courtesy?

Not any more...I have three badges, but they are in a display case in my office....I gave the guy my city identification card, and told him that I was a retired officer of 30 years...He thanked me for my service and said "Sign here on the bottom, it is not a plea of guilty." I told him I was well aware of it....Hopefully his radio will go down in the near future...Of course, I could MAKE it go down and charge him to repair it....muuuwwwwaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh

There's another - unwritten - option, and that's the one where you show up at traffic court and the ticketing officer does not. Once I learned about that option, I haven't had to pay a fine. At least in my experience, the officers never show up. It's happened three times to me and not only did the officers who ticketed me not appear, but none of the officers who ticketed any of the people in court those evenings showed up. I know that if I'd been the judge, I would have been highly pissed at having to spend my evenings kicking people loose because the officers were otherwise occupied and couldn't make it to court.

Naturally, it's a calculated risk, and there's a chance the cop will appear, but it sure hasn't worked that way for me. The first time I got kicked loose there were nine other people in court and not one of their ticketing officers showed up - they all got sent home without fines. I guess the cops just figure that the majority of people will just pony up the fine or take DD.

There's another - unwritten - option, and that's the one where you show up at traffic court and the ticketing officer does not. Once I learned about that option, I haven't had to pay a fine. At least in my experience, the officers never show up. It's happened three times to me and not only did the officers who ticketed me not appear, but none of the officers who ticketed any of the people in court those evenings showed up. I know that if I'd been the judge, I would have been highly pissed at having to spend my evenings kicking people loose because the officers were otherwise occupied and couldn't make it to court.

Naturally, it's a calculated risk, and there's a chance the cop will appear, but it sure hasn't worked that way for me. The first time I got kicked loose there were nine other people in court and not one of their ticketing officers showed up - they all got sent home without fines. I guess the cops just figure that the majority of people will just pony up the fine or take DD.

Unfortunately, here, they are REQUIRED to show up for court when scheduled...if they don't, they can be given days off without pay....I'll just pay my "driving tax" and be done with it...

Unfortunately, here, they are REQUIRED to show up for court when scheduled...if they don't, they can be given days off without pay....I'll just pay my "driving tax" and be done with it...

Is that just strictly for Odessa? I've got mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, I like being able to almost count on skating on tickets, but on the other hand, it pisses me off when the ticketing cop can't be troubled to go to court. After all, that IS part of their job, for which I'm helping bankroll the paycheck. If you aren't gonna appear in court, then don't waste my time writing me a ticket.

Is that just strictly for Odessa? I've got mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, I like being able to almost count on skating on tickets, but on the other hand, it pisses me off when the ticketing cop can't be troubled to go to court. After all, that IS part of their job, for which I'm helping bankroll the paycheck. If you aren't gonna appear in court, then don't waste my time writing me a ticket.

It is pretty much State wide here in Texas....I've worked for several agencies and that was always the case where I worked anyway...no show = days off without pay!

But, I have to agree with you, if you aren't going to show up, don't waste my time and yours writing the ticket in the first place!

Archived