TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Sound System

olie02

Ok, so Im a bit of a Diva on this Subject, but Despite everything I love about my new ShelbyGT500, the Sound System Sucks. Literally I was driving home with it today from the Dealership with a Friend, and the Ongoing joke was that we kept hearing our Neighbors Music through the Apartment wall,,, Everytime a song came on, he had to tell me what my neighbor was listening to.. I must admit it was Fricken Holarious. But thats Exactly what the Sound System sounds like, Muffled up unclear crap.. Now Im coming from a Benz that had a Harmon Kardon Logic7 Sound system, but even my 03 mach one years ago with its Mach460 Sounded better than this...

Is it just me, or Is it Seriously bad?.. Now how I'd rather listen to my Exhaust or Engine...Some nice tunes are appreciated on Road Trips. I think I;m going to gut Every last speaker out of that car, and install something worth Listening to.

And I'm not even mentioning Ford's Definately Lackluster Interior... Being a Ford Employee, I hope Ford Steps it up in that Department, because I think as Sad as it sounds, even the VW CC has a better interior, and a much better stereo. Heck Even Lexus's Mark Levinson Jazz Inspired System, that to me I didnt like unless I listened to jazz all the time, would be music to my ears at this point.

Any Suggestions?

btw, I have the Electronics Package, and the Standard radio, no Shaker 1000.

I agree the stock speakers outside of the midbase drivers in the door are trash. I'm trying to see what is the best bang for the buck. Something that will work fine with the stock AMP and really shine if I go with aftermarket amps down the road. The problem is with speakers you really need to hear them and I've got to find a good car audio place near Baltimore to go to. The crap in Best Buy isn't going to cut it.

I've had 2 S197 Mustang/Shelby's now and ALL I've done is upgrade the head unit. Personally I think the speakers with the Shaker 500/1000 are VERY nice if you can get the sound processed through a decent unit. The 900 mile drive back from picking up my SGT 18 months ago was BRUTAL with the stock deck... you're right, they are TERRIBLE. But when I got home, I had my Pioneer AVIC-Z120BT waiting and by the next morning it was in. Since, then I've had NO second guesses in the stereo department and I daily drive mine. If I was a bass head or an extreme Audiophile that might be different. But I'd say with a new quality head unit, you'll be VERY surprised how much better the sound is.

Plus there is nothing like watching a movie... Batman Begins for example... on the 7" screen with the Pioneer processing and Shaker500 sound while you wait in line at the drive thru! Home Theater has NOTHING on that! You're basically sitting in a 5' x6' sound capsule! Pretty awesome.

I went with JL Audio components in the doors, coaxials in the rear deck, Shelby (KIcker) subs in the doors, JL audio stealth box in the trunk and Arc audio amps connected to the stock navigation system with an adapter form PAC.

My sound-system isn't the best in my 'vette, either, so I feel your pain. However, GM puts a button in the car that improves the auditory experience 10-fold. It's long, skinny, and located to the right side of the driver's side footwell. I have heard that Ford does something similar. Check and see if your car has it! :P

Seriously, though, I think that if you really are a "diva" about it, you will require aftermarket stuff like W7's installed by a pro. If you're serious about sound, do it once, do it right, and forget what it costs because in a few months you won't care, you'll just love the crystal-clear tunes blasting from your King of the Hill mustang. I say custom install all the way!

Even a simple upgrade of the top door speakers (5x7/6x8) makes a huge difference.

Or this.........GT500 stereo upgrade

Did you Install that System in yours??.. How did you like it Overall if you did? and How Does it Compare to the Shaker 1000, because That didnt Impress me much, but I guess I'm really looking for a much more clear and crisp sound, and It seams like this would do it..

I highly recommend in the very least swapping out all your 6x8's. I put in the Kicker KS 680's and they made the sound much more vibrant and enjoyable to listen to. Got a great deal on those - I think $130 for four of them.

You'll still be missing the punch on the bottom end however. I've heard great things about the Kicker/Shelby Trunk sub - but I never got the extra cash to buy it. I did have the Shelby/Kicker amp installed a while back - but wasn't overly impressed with it and removed it. It's hard to explain why I didn't care for it - but it just didn't knock my socks off like I thought it would.

I've had both the Shaker500 and 1000 and the head unit is the problem. I put in a Kenwood hu in the last car and it made all the difference...for one, you can adjust the sub's level separate from the standard bass/treble levels.

I've had both the Shaker500 and 1000 and the head unit is the problem. I put in a Kenwood hu in the last car and it made all the difference...for one, you can adjust the sub's level separate from the standard bass/treble levels.

The only thing about that - is that you lose the "sync" system and steering wheel controls for volume and such right? I would really like to have an impressive system in my car at some point. That would raise the driving experience another level.

Did you do all the wiring yourself?

The only thing about that - is that you lose the "sync" system and steering wheel controls for volume and such right? I would really like to have an impressive system in my car at some point. That would raise the driving experience another level.

Did you do all the wiring yourself?

Sorry, my car's have been '08's so I don't have that, however, I do know that the parts needed to keep the steering wheel controls functioning are available. I was just chiming in on the head unit being the main part keeping the sound system from sounding as good as it could.

Mine's an 07 so I don't have steering wheel controls either, but I agree with him on both accounts. The head unit made the WHOLE system sound MANY times better and there are modules available that retain all the steering wheel controls. I think it's made by PAC.

Thank you for all the Suggestions, and at least I know im not Crazy.. I'm going to move forward with what was my first plan, and that trashing most every Ford Audio Component I can, and Spend the Bucks for Something Nice. Thx Again

The kicker Shelby system is an easy DIY upgrade. Sounds much better. --For a car. I really don't like car acoustics. I prefer to sit in my listening area at home and enjoy the music. (yes, i'm one of the audiophile geeks)

Sorry, my car's have been '08's so I don't have that, however, I do know that the parts needed to keep the steering wheel controls functioning are available. I was just chiming in on the head unit being the main part keeping the sound system from sounding as good as it could.

Oh no problem. While all the new toys and technology are great - they do complicate things a bit. It's been so long since I actually bought an aftermarket head unit - probably about 15 years! LOL! I can only imagine how good they sound now.

And I'm not even mentioning Ford's Definately Lackluster Interior... Being a Ford Employee, I hope Ford Steps it up in that Department, because I think as Sad as it sounds, even the VW CC has a better interior, and a much better stereo. Heck Even Lexus's Mark Levinson Jazz Inspired System, that to me I didnt like unless I listened to jazz all the time, would be music to my ears at

You dont like the interior, or the sound. Why did you buy the car?

I have a lot of cars and have to say this car is one of the nicest inside. Sounds like you have tastes more inline with a ferrari or lambo.

You dont like the interior, or the sound. Why did you buy the car?

I have a lot of cars and have to say this car is one of the nicest inside. Sounds like you have tastes more inline with a ferrari or lambo.

I love the shelby for what it is, and the power of American Iconic Musclebound history. However Some can only wish for less plastic on the inside, and A Better Factory Sound System.. I actually Work for ford, and even the Fusion's, Edge's, ETC have a Sony Sound System Option which sounds quite nice...I wish'd they would have that for the mustangs.

Before I bought the Shelby, I drove everyhting... Audi S4/S5, Lexus ISF, C63, M3, JaguarXK, and even lower grade models... and Although they are at a higher end of the price spectrum, and being Non-American, They had much nicer Interiors, tenfold.

If you have the $2300 Upgraded Electronics package with Navigation, ETC, and the Way ford had it recessed in the Car, It's not easy nor feasible to "switch" out the Head Unit.

If you have the $2300 Upgraded Electronics package with Navigation, ETC, and the Way ford had it recessed in the Car, It's not easy nor feasible to "switch" out the Head Unit.

You can get a JL clean sweep--it is a OEM interface that accepts, processes, and controls the audio from almost any factory-installed head unit or amplifier, it makes virtually any mustang a candidate for high-end sound, without costly fabrication, integration or radical surgery to the dashboard (and without needing to purchase an aftermarket head unit).

My girlfriend just bought a fusion with the Sony system, and it is much better sounding than my Shaker 500/nav combo. The highs are crisper and the bass is cleaner, not to mention louder.

In the Shelby, both door panels rattle near the back when you start turning it up.

So, I've been thinking about adding a set of the JL 5x7's and I'm fairly certain that the stock amps won't have enough grunt to run the co-ax separates (cxi model?). Then ordering an unloaded mtx thunderform box and stuffing a W6 sub in it.

Not to :beatdeadhorse: folks, but seriously... if you do anything first... replace the head unit. Regardless of what speakers you install... they will ALL sound like crap until you get that sound processed through something better than the factory head unit. Each time I've swapped out the head units in my Mustangs/SGT, I've always been greatly amazed as how much better the sound was instantly... just by upgrading the source of the sound. From there, there may be some more improvement available through upgraded speakers, but I'd bet a substantial amount of money that you'd notice the MOST improvement, but upgrading the head unit first.

Doesn't need to be a huge nav unit either. The first one I put in was Pioneer Premiere single DIN, so it had the little cubby underneath it (was kinda nice actually). And even that mid-range head unit instantly made the Shaker system sound light years better.

Side-story: I went into Car Toys a while back and asked them about integrating my new head unit (Pioneer AVIC-Z120BT). While I was there I asked them about what else I could do to improve the Shaker 500. The guy at Car Toys actually said he loved the Shaker 500 system and that with proper sound processing (new head unit) and a larger amp on the door subs... he wouldn't do anything else. He said anything beyond that gave lass bang for the buck and if you weren't an audiophile, you'd be hard pressed to get much benefit from upgrading the speakers. I still find that a bit hard to believe, but when an audio salesperson says that, you have to put SOME stock in it.

That may be true, but the electronics pkg is a steep chunk of change to yank out just to replace with the same thing, that may or may not integrate with all the sync functions.

Then you still have to contend with the junk speakers and mediocre amplification. The shaker systems are 10x better than what ford was putting in cars some 7 years ago, which were completely unsalvageable, (the mach stereos are trash). With some tweaks the shaker can fit the bill very well as I don't want to build an M&K THX certified setup that is wasted on competing with SC whine and roaring exhaust.

Regardless of what speakers you install... they will ALL sound like crap until you get that sound processed through something better than the factory head unit.

I know that they also make those signal processors such as the Kicker ZXsum8 which flatten out the output of the stock shaker unit and allow you to run a high end amp for improved sound - while keeping the stock head unit. Haven't tried those however.

He said anything beyond that gave less bang for the buck and if you weren't an audiophile, you'd be hard pressed to get much benefit from upgrading the speakers. I still find that a bit hard to believe, but when an audio salesperson says that, you have to put SOME stock in it.

Of course sound quality is to an extent subjective to each individual, but I can tell you that swapping out the stock speakers made a huge difference for me. The stock speakers are so cheap that I couldn't even believe it - especially the ones in the door.

Not to :beatdeadhorse: folks, but seriously... if you do anything first... replace the head unit. Regardless of what speakers you install... they will ALL sound like crap until you get that sound processed through something better than the factory head unit. Each time I've swapped out the head units in my Mustangs/SGT, I've always been greatly amazed as how much better the sound was instantly... just by upgrading the source of the sound. From there, there may be some more improvement available through upgraded speakers, but I'd bet a substantial amount of money that you'd notice the MOST improvement, but upgrading the head unit first.

Doesn't need to be a huge nav unit either. The first one I put in was Pioneer Premiere single DIN, so it had the little cubby underneath it (was kinda nice actually). And even that mid-range head unit instantly made the Shaker system sound light years better.

Side-story: I went into Car Toys a while back and asked them about integrating my new head unit (Pioneer AVIC-Z120BT). While I was there I asked them about what else I could do to improve the Shaker 500. The guy at Car Toys actually said he loved the Shaker 500 system and that with proper sound processing (new head unit) and a larger amp on the door subs... he wouldn't do anything else. He said anything beyond that gave lass bang for the buck and if you weren't an audiophile, you'd be hard pressed to get much benefit from upgrading the speakers. I still find that a bit hard to believe, but when an audio salesperson says that, you have to put SOME stock in it.

If you switch out the head unit you lose Sync which is a pretty important feature. Something along the line of JL Audio Cleansweep will allow for a high end audio system with the use of a stock head unit.

If you switch out the head unit you lose Sync which is a pretty important feature. Something along the line of JL Audio Cleansweep will allow for a high end audio system with the use of a stock head unit.

Didn't consider that since our lowly 07 head unit certainly didn't have SYNC. I imagine that would be a concern.

switching out the head unit makes the speakers sound 100% better, especially with shaker 1000 (at least with 07-09 models). I have the electronics package on MY2010 and hesitant about switching the head unit due to possible complications to SYNC

• 3 months later...

Hi all. My 2011 GT500 is supposed to be delivered in about a week, but I am getting all the sound system stuff ready!

Would appreciate greatly any advice or experience on installing a system yourself. I"ve done several in "lesser" cars, but I want to be extra careful with this one.

Here is what I have currently to work with:

First, my old stuff:

Memphis 1000D amp and a 12" Diamond sub in a square box - This combo hits really hard.

Alpine MRP F200 Amp, 40X4 - Used in my old Camry for 6X9's and doors.

An old "Tsunami" 1 Farad Capacitor

An old 100 amp fuse switch for battery and long 1 gauge power wire

New Stuff:

JL Cleansweep CL441..gonna keep stock HU since it has Navigation and stuff.

JL C5 570x for front doors - I got a really good deal at 250 bucks...that is one reason why I did not go component. Plus, they are basically same tweeter, and I figured since they are high up in the door, placement is decent anyway.

JL C2 570x for rear deck - I figured for 108 bucks, these would be good enough for the rear.

JL XD400/4 Amp - This amp seems about perfect to drive my 4 5X7's. There was a cheaper one but not as good of signal to noise...this one seems really good.

Trim Removal Tools

Dynamat Xtreme for 2 Doors

Now the barrage of questions:

A] Should I keep my current Subwoofer or get a JL Stealthbox? My current sub is awesome...but the Stealthbox fits so well...but it's really expensive. Anyone know where the cheapest one is located? Also, do they come in W3 and W6's? I guess if I'm used to 1000 watts to my Diamond sub, then I better get the W6 version. Then again, my other option would be to either use my existing box (position it similar to where Stealthbox would go...it just wouldn't fit like a puzzle piece), or find/build a different box. My box is basically a square around the sub, then 10 " deep or so. Not really that intrusive.

B] Should I leave the 8" door subs in, or take them out? If I keep 'em, I'm gonna have to drive 'em...I have that Alpine amp where I could bridge to 100X2. I assume that would shred those poor factory 8"s, correct? So...I could buy ANOTHER pair of 8"s...but would it be worth it? Do the factory ones even have an enclosed back? This would mean buying more speakers and having 3 AMPS installed...that's a lot of s**t in my car! I"m leaning towards just REMOVING the 8's altogether, or simply running them off the stock deck with no amplification (except stock amp). I reckon that a 1000 watt sub in the back will totally overshadow door 8's? Suggestions?

C] JL Cleansweep and Amplifier Installation and needed parts - Wondering where optimal places for the cleansweep and amps are? Should I just use stock speaker wires, or run new (if new, what size)? Are the 5X7's amped (in which case I would have to disconnect them?) Where is everyone running their wires? Anyone have any suggestions on a new Capacitor...I get the feeling mine is old and underpowered ( I would buy a good used one from someone ).

Finally, where can I buy those nice speaker wire ends that plug right into the speakers...I'd rather do that than wrap bare wire to the terminals and tape (Like I did to my old Toyota). Maybe there are wire and amp kits?

Thanks all in advance. I guess I could just pay someone to install ALL this stuff, but that's wussin' out IMO.

Archived