TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Traction/weight transfer

Okay this may sound dumb or whatever but I am curious. My SGT puts down 450-470 rwhp depending on pulley and tune so it has a little zip to it. My suspension mods are billet lower control arms, adj panhard bars, Steeda upper control arm. The best 60 foot time I have recorded is a 1.90 on my Nitto 555 extremes (not DR). When I launch it hard from a stop light for effect I get a lot of wheel spin, but it barely leaves any rubber marks on the road? I know this sounds almost juvenile but that kind of bums me out. Is the car just not transferring weight to the rear tires very well or what? I've seen GT 500 light em up and leave some pretty impressive marks but I have to hold the brake a little to get the same effect. I guess i have a case of burn out envy. Just kind of curious if the car just isn't getting the weight back or is that pretty normal? I'm not looking to make it a drag car or anything just curious. I can run solid 12.4-12.6 times on street tires aired up to 35 psi all night long, spinning the tires and having to peddle the car in 2nd to get it to hook.

Thoughts?

Okay this may sound dumb or whatever but I am curious. My SGT puts down 450-470 rwhp depending on pulley and tune so it has a little zip to it. My suspension mods are billet lower control arms, adj panhard bars, Steeda upper control arm. The best 60 foot time I have recorded is a 1.90 on my Nitto 555 extremes (not DR). When I launch it hard from a stop light for effect I get a lot of wheel spin, but it barely leaves any rubber marks on the road? I know this sounds almost juvenile but that kind of bums me out. Is the car just not transferring weight to the rear tires very well or what? I've seen GT 500 light em up and leave some pretty impressive marks but I have to hold the brake a little to get the same effect. I guess i have a case of burn out envy. Just kind of curious if the car just isn't getting the weight back or is that pretty normal? I'm not looking to make it a drag car or anything just curious. I can run solid 12.4-12.6 times on street tires aired up to 35 psi all night long, spinning the tires and having to peddle the car in 2nd to get it to hook.

Thoughts?

My thoughts...

the GT500 is more nose heavy, I don't know the facts behind the suspension differences.

Try putting on skinnier rear tires :hysterical:

A harder tire than your Nitto's will make it easier to spin 'em.

Did you get a dyno print out showing your power curve? The 4.6 might power up different from the 5.4

I have no supercharger, i am just giving my thoughts.

If you have your original BFG's try putting those on and see how she smokes.

That is what is interesting if you can call the lack of laying rubber interesting. Even with the stock tires it would spin the crap out of the tires and barely leave any marks.

That is what is interesting if you can call the lack of laying rubber interesting. Even with the stock tires it would spin the crap out of the tires and barely leave any marks.

That I think is in the components in the rubber.

Some rubber leaves a good burn out while others leave skinny marks.

That I think is in the components in the rubber.

Some rubber leaves a good burn out while others leave skinny marks.

That was my first thought also. But the SGT suspension (FRPP) does inhibit weight transfer as it is more suited to road racing than 1/4 mile. Take your front sway bar off and swap out your struts from some V6 or drag struts and it might be different. The GT500 suspension is much more compliant (soft) than the SGT so it will transfer weight better.

It may be a combination of both the tires and the suspension. :shrug:

Thanks for the input. I know the car is setup for road racing, which IMO is much more fun than drag racing, but I was starting to get a complex about laying down a nice set of marks. (yes I know very juvenile but part of me never grew up!) I still like to take it to the drag strip 2-3 times a year on friday nights and whoop up on the unsuspecting.

wouldn't worry about it too much....I have the Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar Super Snake tires on my SGT and it will light them up like nobody's business....and I don't have a supercharger....it will leave a very dark mark on certain streets, and not leave a mark at all on others....it is all in the compound of the tires and the street as well....if you've just got to have some smoke, you're going to have to lay on the brake just a little to keep you in one spot....and yes, the GT500 lays very good marks, but like was said, it transfers weight differently than our cars....for drag racing, weight transfer to the rear is very important....for road racing, balance is everything!!!!

Archived