TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Installed Ford racing headers

1badshelby

I spent 4 days last week installing the ceramic coated Ford racing headers on my 09 gt500. I knew going in that there was little to no horsepower gaim, but thought it would be a nice asthetic improvement. DON"T even consider this upgrade if you rely on your gt500 for daily transportation. I spent over 2 days getting one bolt in and tighteded!!!! It was invisible from above and below. Thank god I have a lift and was able to reach in and do it by feel alone. I do believe the car sounds better, but I put in much less time installing the 2.8l kenne bell supersnake super charger! I also installed the Shelby radiator and intercooler kits and was very happy with the instructions and ease of installation. Pictures to come.

Mike

Just wait until the flanges warp (they are just over 1/4in thick) and you have leaks :)

I agree, not worth it unless you're planning a serious blower upgrade. Then they're worth about 30+HP. But with the stock blower, probably less than 15.

You are thinking LTs, shorties are not even worth that.

I spent 4 days last week installing the ceramic coated Ford racing headers on my 09 gt500. I knew going in that there was little to no horsepower gaim, but thought it would be a nice asthetic improvement. DON"T even consider this upgrade if you rely on your gt500 for daily transportation. I spent over 2 days getting one bolt in and tighteded!!!! It was invisible from above and below. Thank god I have a lift and was able to reach in and do it by feel alone. I do believe the car sounds better, but I put in much less time installing the 2.8l kenne bell supersnake super charger! I also installed the Shelby radiator and intercooler kits and was very happy with the instructions and ease of installation. Pictures to come.

Huh, funny...I had just the opposite experience.

It was by far one of THE easiest header installs I've ever done.

For me, the worst part was pulling all of the stock header studs out. I used the 'double nut' method but if I had a female torx the right size, even *that* would have been easy.

Did you pull your X pipe out? I did.

Did you pull your starter motor out? I did.

Did you pull your motor mount engine pads out? I did.

Maybe if I hadn't pulled those things out it would have been harder (w/limited space) but with the starter and X-pipe removed, BOTH SIDES went in like butter. There was ONE bolt on the (upper) drivers side that was a little hard to start and I had to "quarter turn" it in but it was still a piece of cake.

Your mileage may vary,

Phill Pollard - 2010 GT500

Huh, funny...I had just the opposite experience.

It was by far one of THE easiest header installs I've ever done.

For me, the worst part was pulling all of the stock header studs out. I used the 'double nut' method but if I had a female torx the right size, even *that* would have been easy.

Did you pull your X pipe out? I did.

Did you pull your starter motor out? I did.

Did you pull your motor mount engine pads out? I did.

Maybe if I hadn't pulled those things out it would have been harder (w/limited space) but with the starter and X-pipe removed, BOTH SIDES went in like butter. There was ONE bolt on the (upper) drivers side that was a little hard to start and I had to "quarter turn" it in but it was still a piece of cake.

Your mileage may vary,

Phill Pollard - 2010 GT500

What is your opinion after the install?

What is your opinion after the install?

I haven't started it yet. I just mounted the Whipple 2.9L day before yesterday and started trying to put the Shelby (Metco) secondary idler pulley on last night...

I still need to install the injectors and the rest of the intake tract and then she'll be ready for smoke.

FWIW, I put the shorty's on PRIMARILY for the sound (I love the sound of headers), not for HP gains. I want to keep my clearence at LEAST as good as stock and you can't do that with long tubes, or at least any I know of.

I do have to say....they LOOK good! I've had people notice them that aren't even "car guys" (I bought the ceramic coated version).

I can't do much to the car today as I have a League to bowl tonight and my bad back won't let me do both but I *should* have her smokin' within the next few days. Not on the ground rolling, but running (I need to finish up the K-member, A-arms and A-arm brace plus still set the pinion angle which means I have to set it on ramps).

I am encouraged by the one person who said he DID like the sound because that is the main reason I went with them.

I'll let ya know more when I see smoke,

Phill

I will agree they do look good and the sound is better too. No I didn't have any issue with the starter, but of course removed the x-pipe. I also did not remove anything that was not on the instruction sheet from ford racing. I did notice about 1/2 lb of boost drop on my gauge, may be breathing just a little better than manifolds. Also weighed exactly 7 lbs less than stock.

The Actual headers were not to bad. The Fricking Dipstick took 6 hours.

LOL...I actually went and bought a round head hex drive cap screw that is about 1/2" in length to replace the stock screw that holds the dipstick tube in.

Other than *that*, it didn't give me any trouble.

Phill

Seven lbs each or seven pounds total (for the pair)?

I didn't weigh mine but the OEM exh. manifolds are HEAVY.

I'd almost guess that it's 7lbs PER but I'll wait for the answer.

Phill

What a lot of guys dont know or say any about headers is. There ability to remove heat from the engine. You have two systems that remove almost all the heat from your engine. One is your cooling system. The other is the exhaust system. Adding headers helps a great deal in removing heat from your engine. Lowering your chances of detonation. So the benefits of even shorty headers can be very high. Especially when your racing. You should consider them the same as, adding a big radiator. When your looking at the benefits. Yes the new big radiator you bought looks killer. This is what i see when i look at headers. Part of a cooling system. The extra air flow and lower weight is just added benefits of your new cooling system.

Archived