TEAM SHELBY FORUM

KR Muffler rattle

Hi All,

A few weeks ago I installed a set of KR axle backs. I love them! Sound is exactly what I was looking for. However, I noticed that there is a rattle or metalic vibration sound comming from rear of the car apon exceleration. I discovered the muffler hanger rod is really close to the bracket that holds it. (driver side). Also, the muffler tips stick out a little far for my taste. The stock tips did as well....My question is, can the ehaust be shifted back an 1" or 2" by cutting the mid pipes where they enter the x-pipe? I figure, this will keep the rod from touching the bracket and push the tips into the valance for better appearance.

Does anyone have any other advise on this topic? Thank you.

Hi All,

A few weeks ago I installed a set of KR axle backs. I love them! Sound is exactly what I was looking for. However, I noticed that there is a rattle or metalic vibration sound comming from rear of the car apon exceleration. I discovered the muffler hanger rod is really close to the bracket that holds it. (driver side). Also, the muffler tips stick out a little far for my taste. The stock tips did as well....My question is, can the ehaust be shifted back an 1" or 2" by cutting the mid pipes where they enter the x-pipe? I figure, this will keep the rod from touching the bracket and push the tips into the valance for better appearance.

Have you measured to see if you have room to shorten them with out interferring with the body? I installed them & don`t think they stick out to far ,remember they should clear the body panel or you may have exhaust deposits

Hi All,

Were these new ??

I had the same problem with a set I had on my CS6 which I bought new from Blue Oval Industries

They were fine for about 3000 miles but I got some bad gas (I think) and had a little detonation just one pop through the exhaust and that's all it took

Once it started I could never get rid of the rattle on the RH side and it drove me nuts..

I couldn't get any satisfaction through Blue Oval or Ford Racing and finally bought another set of KR's to replace them and never had any problems at all for the other 1500 miles I put on that set .

I just replaced these however with a set of 2010 GT-500 mufflers..I had to modify the right hand side slightly but we made them work and they sound mild in comparison but good just the same.

I was thinking about selling the two other sets with a "buyer beware" and full disclosure on the first set just in case there was really an issue inside the muffler.

I do however seem to recall reading similar problems with these KR mufflers on other Forums but it was a few years ago..

Were these new ??

I had the same problem with a set I had on my CS6 which I bought new from Blue Oval Industries

They were fine for about 3000 miles but I got some bad gas (I think) and had a little detonation just one pop through the exhaust and that's all it took

Once it started I could never get rid of the rattle on the RH side and it drove me nuts..

I couldn't get any satisfaction through Blue Oval or Ford Racing and finally bought another set of KR's to replace them and never had any problems at all for the other 1500 miles I put on that set .

I just replaced these however with a set of 2010 GT-500 mufflers..I had to modify the right hand side slightly but we made them work and they sound mild in comparison but good just the same.

I was thinking about selling the two other sets with a "buyer beware" and full disclosure on the first set just in case there was really an issue inside the muffler.

I do however seem to recall reading similar problems with these KR mufflers on other Forums but it was a few years ago..

yes, they were new. I really think think the noise is the rod being so close to the hanger on driver side. The exhaust grows in length when its hot and then it touches and makes noise.

That sound can also be caused by a loose or broken baffle inside the muffler that vibrates under load.

That's what happened to mine though I can't tell if your noise is like mine was.

Do a google search for:

muffler loose baffle sound

Good luck!

My SLP loudmouth hanger on the passenger side too was close to the hanger holder and when hot the they touched so I placed a piece of rubber hose on the hanger so now the rubber sits between the two. No more rattle noises.

Yes, I think this is my answer. Thanks.

Yes, I think this is my answer. Thanks.

I took my car to a exhaust shop and they kept trying to adjust the tips and hangers to no avail so I just when to Autozone and bought a small piece of thick rubber hose, cut it long ways to slip it on the metal hanger and zip tied it. It's been two months now and no more noise, although I must say these SLP exhaust are getting to be a little too loud for me, I guess I'm getting old, lol!!

That sound can also be caused by a loose or broken baffle inside the muffler that vibrates under load.

That's what happened to mine though I can't tell if your noise is like mine was.

Do a google search for:

muffler loose baffle sound

Good luck!

That's what I think happened to my first set of KR's

yes, they were new. I really think think the noise is the rod being so close to the hanger on driver side. The exhaust grows in length when its hot and then it touches and makes noise.

I had a rattle when my SGT was new and it was the exhaust hanger. Only when it was hot. After cooling no rattle. Had to take a little offf the end of the hanger. Ric

Archived