TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Saying goodbye to my '11 GT500 today

Cabinetman

Just a bit ago I got the call that my 2012 Nissan GT-R has arrived. I'm scheduled to pick it up this afternoon and will be trading in my 2011 GT500 SVTPP.

When I ordered the Nissan in late December I couldn't wait to get rid of the Mustang and get back into a car that could actually put its power to the ground. The funny thing is that over the last three months I've really grown to like my Shelby. It still could use better traction, but the car is flat out fun to drive once you adjust your driving style to suite the power delivery of the GT500. My previous two cars before the GT500 were a 997.2 Carrera S and a 2011 GT-R. Both of those cars had very good traction out of the hole so my driving style had adapted to that. It took me some time to relearn good throttle manipulation, but once I got better at it I found the Shelby to be a lot of fun on the street. I never got it to the track, but I'm sure it would have been fun there as well even though my laps time would probably suck. Now, I wish I had the space and funds to keep the Shelby. Unfortunately I don't so I will say goodbye later today.

Even though I didn't participate much here and I'm not really into modding my cars I still found this site very informative. There are a number of knowledgeable folks here that can carry on an intelligent discussion about cars. I've found that a bit rare among auto enthusiast sites.

I will post up pics of my GT-R once I have the keys in my hand.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What kind of a hit did you take on trading a 2011 in so early? I know it's hard to factor in when trading because the dealers try to sugar coat the real truth, but it's not hard to figure out if you do the math. I would imagine it was about a 10K hit to your wallet. I just can't sleep at night and do that. For me, it takes to darn long to save up that kind of money to throw it away. When I was in my 30's I used to do it all the time, but now that I'm 50, I think differently and enjoy being debt free. happy%20feet.gif

Those are really cool cars and I see more of them on the road then GT500's , don't know why. Let us know how the two compare in normal or slightly more than normal driving on the street . I know in GA. the tags on the GTR would be $1200 / year and the tax to a dealer would just kill me. Do you live near a race track or road course circuit ? What color ? Send pictures asap.

What kind of a hit did you take on trading a 2011 in so early? I know it's hard to factor in when trading because the dealers try to sugar coat the real truth, but it's not hard to figure out if you do the math. I would imagine it was about a 10K hit to your wallet. I just can't sleep at night and do that. For me, it takes to darn long to save up that kind of money to throw it away. When I was in my 30's I used to do it all the time, but now that I'm 50, I think differently and enjoy being debt free. happy%20feet.gif

I'm going to take a $7000 hit on the Shelby. It isn't pretty, but I'm prepared to deal with it.

The nice thing about the GT-R is that they hold their value very well. I bought my 2011 GT-R for $80k and got $72k trade-in for it seven months later. It was worth the little over $1k per month it cost me to drive it not including fuel and insurance.

I'm in my mid 30's and I live pretty conservatively. I own a successful business that has been in my family for almost 40 years. My house is very modest and my wife works as a teacher. Both of our daily drivers are Fords. I just have the car disease pretty bad.

Those are really cool cars and I see more of them on the road then GT500's , don't know why. Let us know how the two compare in normal or slightly more than normal driving on the street . I know in GA. the tags on the GTR would be $1200 / year and the tax to a dealer would just kill me. Do you live near a race track or road course circuit ? What color ? Send pictures asap.

I live in the Fort Worth, TX area. I have two road courses within about an hour drive.

The GT-R is pearl white with black interior just like my last one. I think the white looks great with the dark wheels and other dark accents on the car. Pics will be up once i go pick her up. I'm supposed to head up there in the next couple of hours.

The GT-R is a great car. But even though they are very fast I find them to be very emotionally uninspiring car to drive. A friend of mine got rid of his for a Z06 for that very reason. Very easy point and shoot car that even grandma could comfortably drive very fast. Enjoy your new ride.

I'm going to take a $7000 hit on the Shelby. It isn't pretty, but I'm prepared to deal with it.

The nice thing about the GT-R is that they hold their value very well. I bought my 2011 GT-R for $80k and got $72k trade-in for it seven months later. It was worth the little over $1k per month it cost me to drive it not including fuel and insurance.

I'm in my mid 30's and I live pretty conservatively. I own a successful business that has been in my family for almost 40 years. My house is very modest and my wife works as a teacher. Both of our daily drivers are Fords. I just have the car disease pretty bad.

I live in the Fort Worth, TX area. I have two road courses within about an hour drive.

The GT-R is pearl white with black interior just like my last one. I think the white looks great with the dark wheels and other dark accents on the car. Pics will be up once i go pick her up. I'm supposed to head up there in the next couple of hours.

That's why if you can buy slightly used your hit isn't as bad. I bought a 05 Ford GT , 08 KR and now my 11 GT500 all used . I made money on the Ford GT and loss a little on the KR .You can't even deduct that loss. The guy who buys your used 11 should get a good deal, Maybe .Well how does she RUN or is that a stupid question. Buying these cars is a sickness and don't let it get the best of you. A good rule of thumb is no more than 10% of your net worth in all you toy cars. Not including your home. Cars that are fairly new are toys and are NOT an investment .

That's why if you can buy slightly used your hit isn't as bad. I bought a 05 Ford GT , 08 KR and now my 11 GT500 all used . I made money on the Ford GT and loss a little on the KR .You can't even deduct that loss. The guy who buys your used 11 should get a good deal, Maybe .Well how does she RUN or is that a stupid question. Buying these cars is a sickness and don't let it get the best of you. A good rule of thumb is no more than 10% of your net worth in all you toy cars. Not including your home. Cars that are fairly new are toys and are NOT an investment .

"Buying these cars is a sickness and don't let it get the best of you." +1, IMO the key is knowing there will always be something better but that doesn't mean you can't be completely satisified with what you have, good health is at the top of the list and everything else is cake.

I completely agree that used cars are a smarter investment. I just wanted the latest updates of the 2012 GT-R so used wasn't an option. Well it was, but I wanted it now.

My finances are fine. My house has good equity even in this market, I have no credit card debt and my truck is paid for. I run my business off of my money so i don't have any business debt. I tithe 10% of my gross and do what I can to help out the community. Sure, I spend way too much on cars, but I think most here probably do. It is my hobby and I can afford what I have.

Here are the pics of my 2012 GT-R. I just picked her up a little bit ago.

IMG_0807.jpg

IMG_0805.jpg

IMG_0809.jpg

IMG_0810.jpg

IMG_0808.jpg

It's beautiful, congrats! My advise is never take anyones advise on a forum! I go though cars like water and I usually take a bit of a loss, but not too bad. Some people think I am crazy (neighbors, wife, parents) but i have a good job and it doesnt detract from anything (inc retirement, kids, vacation) so who cares! Do what makes you happy....and that car would make me happy.

I completely agree that used cars are a smarter investment. I just wanted the latest updates of the 2012 GT-R so used wasn't an option. Well it was, but I wanted it now.

My finances are fine. My house has good equity even in this market, I have no credit card debt and my truck is paid for. I run my business off of my money so i don't have any business debt. I tithe 10% of my gross and do what I can to help out the community. Sure, I spend way too much on cars, but I think most here probably do. It is my hobby and I can afford what I have.

IMG_0807.jpg

IMG_0805.jpg

IMG_0809.jpg

IMG_0810.jpg

IMG_0808.jpg

Damn I wish I could have both cars:) Looks Really Cool!!! PS is your business a funeral home?

Very nice.Good luck with that rocket.

I know what you mean about car disease...it's my only real vice. Buy new, trade 2years later, take the hit. Worst investment in the world. Car salesmen have me on speed dial. BUT it's all worth it to me. Like they say, there ain't no rehersals...you only go around once.

I tithe 10% of my gross and do what I can to help out the community.

There are 2 kinds of blessings. To be blessed and to bless others. I see you have both. My hats off to you brother ! :salute:

Very nice! I love white.

I am curious how you will like the GT-R in a few months. Several people I have seen on the forums loved the performance on-track, but missed rowing their own on the street. Sick performance machine, and I am curious about your opinion of the car long-term.

I'm a th_carpentersunion.jpg too. Mama is a Domestic Goddess and always has been, so we have to watch our funds a little closer.

I'm the diva in my family. My wife could care less about most things, especially cars. The only time she trades a car is when I put pressure on her to do so.

I've been in the cabinet business since I was a kid. I started sweeping out the shop when I was 10 and worked my way up to service and installation by the time I got to college. After college i went into the sales end of things. My dad retired three years ago so now I run the show. I've got about 45 people working for me right now. It was over 100 when the housing market was good. I'm not going to complain though because I've been blessed way beyond what I deserve.

Very nice! I love white.

I am curious how you will like the GT-R in a few months. Several people I have seen on the forums loved the performance on-track, but missed rowing their own on the street. Sick performance machine, and I am curious about your opinion of the car long-term.

I had my first GT-R for six months and the only reason I sold it was because I came across a deal on one of my "bucket list" cars that I just couldn't pass up. In hindsight I should have kept my first GT-R.

You definitely miss some things like the satisfaction of getting the heel-toe downshift just right, but I don't feel like the GT-R's driving experience is too sanitized. The steering feel is remarkably good for an AWD cars, better even than the E90 M3 I owned. Also, the performance threshold is so high that you never really feel like you are on the edge of control in most street driving situations. Not to mention the straight-line acceleration in the the lower gears is intoxicating. You really get spoiled by the traction.

Once i get past the break-in I will post up a review. Maybe my opinion of the car will change this time around.

IMG_0807.jpg

IMG_0805.jpg

IMG_0809.jpg

IMG_0810.jpg

IMG_0808.jpg

GORGEOUS......... CONGRATS........

Archived