TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hawk HPS brake pads

Installed Baer DecelaRotors and Hawk HPS pads over the weekend. Rear rotors and pads went on great, (takes a lot of pressure to compress the caliper pistons!), but I have an issue with the front pads. Specifically, the "return" springs that are riveted to the pads to hold the pad off the rotor when the brakes are released are, quite frankly, crap! The rivets that hold them onto the pad don't have a large enough head to keep the spring from popping off! I don't know if I got part of a bad batch or what, but there's a definite lack of quality control with this set! I decided just to leave the OEM pads on the front for now rather than risk a popped spring and dragging brake pad. I sent a note to Hawk explaining the situation, but haven't heard anything yet.

Anyone else had a problem?

Sam

Those springs are complete garbage. I fought with them many times and broke a couple of them.

Hey K-man - so are you still running the Hawks or did you move on to something else? (My cheap OEM pads had WAAAAYYYY better springs!)

Sam

I have two sets of Hawk pads. The HP plus for track and HPS for street. The HPS set i have, had the same issue went i went to put them on. A good spot weld holds the spring on now. The springs could be stronger.

^Nope, still running them. The pads themselves are far superior to the OEM pads, but ya definitely gotta work for it with those springs.

There's no fix that I know of. I just learned to take a whole ton of extra time getting them installed, but even that's not a guarantee you won't bend or break the clips.

I've only used the HP Plus, for a track day. I didn't have any problem w/ those. I put the OEM's back in after the track day.

Spot-weld, not a bad idea to save a good pair of pads! I went to the Hawk website and "complained" to customer service but still haven't heard anything - guess we all need to go there and give some of this negative feedback! I'm sure they'll jump right on it and send us all new stuff! :hysterical:

Sam

Archived