TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Winter Storage

Just Curious. I know winter is, thankfully, almost over for most of us. But I have read where autos stored in unheated garages in the midwest still have long term issues. While I cannot afford to heat the garage does anyone know if a dehumidifier will be of any assistance? I am looking to preserve the SGT forever. Your thoughts?

Thank you[/size]

Edited by 07SGT

Just Curious. I know winter is, thankfully, almost over for most of us. But I have read where autos stored in unheated garages in the midwest still have long term issues. While I cannot afford to heat the garage does anyone know if a dehumidifier will be of any assistance? I am looking to preserve the SGT forever. Your thoughts?

Thank you[/size]

I do not think that a dehumidifier us nessesary, I live in Canada and in a fairly dry enviorment and other some some good leather conditioner and regular service it should be okay, they didn't do anything special in the 60's or 70's

The issue is when the car is cold, and temps outside are warmer... You open the garage, and the warmer/moister air comes in and causes condensation on the cold metal.

I don't know that it causes long term issues though, driving in the rain is likely worse.

That has to be expensive

Yes it is !!! I been working the garage and use to heat it with a kerosene heater it did a great job and cheap to run !! Which makes sense till you have a wife complain she didn't like the odor. Even with the clear clean kerosene so I switched to a propane heater and that really heated the garage quick and toasty but she bitched about that so I switched to the electric radiators . She tried to say I smell something funny and I said don't worry the electric bill will make you cry!!! :hysterical: We got the bill for 2 months it went up 300.00 !!! I run 3 of them just to be a busty their on high 24/7. I gave my other set ups to my buddy Marriage its a great thing if your a drinker The good thing out of it is I got to buy more stuff for my pain and suffering.

Yes it is !!! I been working the garage and use to heat it with a kerosene heater it did a great job and cheap to run !! Which makes sense till you have a wife complain she didn't like the odor. Even with the clear clean kerosene so I switched to a propane heater and that really heated the garage quick and toasty but she bitched about that so I switched to the electric radiators . She tried to say I smell something funny and I said don't worry the electric bill will make you cry!!! :hysterical: We got the bill for 2 months it went up 300.00 !!! I run 3 of them just to be a busty their on high 24/7. I gave my other set ups to my buddy Marriage its a great thing if your a drinker The good thing out of it is I got to buy more stuff for my pain and suffering.

I store the Shelby in my heated shop. However, I also heat my two-car garage with an electric heater purchased from Northern Tool. I keep it at about 40 degrees and it costs about $1.00 per day during the coldest part of the South Dakota winter. Not bad really for the pleasure of having a warm vehicle to step into. My garage is insulated and I have an insulated 16’ door, which I am sure makes a difference. Our power costs are probably lower than many parts of the country as well. I agree that a dehumidifier will not make much, if any, difference.

I store the Shelby in my heated shop. However, I also heat my two-car garage with an electric heater purchased from Northern Tool. I keep it at about 40 degrees and it costs about $1.00 per day during the coldest part of the South Dakota winter. Not bad really for the pleasure of having a warm vehicle to step into. My garage is insulated and I have an insulated 16’ door, which I am sure makes a difference. Our power costs are probably lower than many parts of the country as well. I agree that a dehumidifier will not make much, if any, difference.

In the summer I run the dehumidifer but also run an window A/C when working on something . The wife really loves it makes her cringe as the electric meter spins faster. You only live once. I tell my wife if you can wear my doubled layered bullet proof vest for a day in 80 degree weather and walk around with all the other gear for 6hrs. I will turn the A/C off she would make it for an hour. I dont know how the cops in Vegas do it only be to Vegas once and at 8am decided to go for a run went outside and was shell shocked by the wave of heat.