TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2011 GT500 Front Seat Issues

QUIKSVT

I was wondering if anyone else has had this type of an issue with the front drivers seat side bolster. It appears to be cracking and the outside dark color is chipping off. I've had my GT500 for about 8 months now and it has around 4000 miles on it. It sits in the garage all day, covered- and has barely seen a full day of sunshine, and I haven't used any chemicals at all on the seats.

I figure I'll take it to Ford and have them look at it, but I am wondering what their solution will be.

2011-03-20_09-14-15_561.jpg

I was wondering if anyone else has had this type of an issue with the front drivers seat side bolster. It appears to be cracking and the outside dark color is chipping off. I've had my GT500 for about 8 months now and it has around 4000 miles on it. It sits in the garage all day, covered- and has barely seen a full day of sunshine, and I haven't used any chemicals at all on the seats.

I figure I'll take it to Ford and have them look at it, but I am wondering what their solution will be.

2011-03-20_09-14-15_561.jpg

im betting its the low hunidity in your area,combined with high heat in your garage---theses seats need to treated to keep them moist at least once a year--it only takes maybe 30 minutes--BTW-thats why i bought an extra set of seat covers for the front,so when i sell the car eventually,ill have no wear on the seats

im betting its the low hunidity in your area,combined with high heat in your garage---theses seats need to treated to keep them moist at least once a year--it only takes maybe 30 minutes--BTW-thats why i bought an extra set of seat covers for the front,so when i sell the car eventually,ill have no wear on the seats

Not to hijack, but where did you buy the seat covers from? Your dealer? What did they cost?

I understand the need to condition the leather, however I don't buy the weather being the issue. I've had several cars here in AZ, all with leather and this hasn't happened. My 03 cobra's seats held up much better than this and the same care was taken. My 07 Yukon Denali is full leather with 110k plus on the clock and the leather held up better than this.

The passenger seat is mint and it's obviously a wear issue. It's strange because it's on an area that really doesn't get much contact from me when I'm sitting in the car, or getting in/out. I guess I'll see what Ford says.

Hey guys,

My 2011 Shelby experienced the same issue (flaking off and discoloration of the leather on the outside (left side) driver's seat bolster). My car is currently at Tasca Ford having some mods done, and I asked them to also fix this issue under warranty, as I first noticed the issue shortly after I had the car (I just didnt get around to having it looked at until recently). However, I am a bit concerned, as the car has now been in the shop since 21 Feb 2011 (yep, 4 weeks, mostly waiting on the handling pack to finally be released) and Tasca is telling me they are still waiting on word back from Ford regarding the warranty issue. I cannot believe that Ford would take that long to fix their faulty equipment; there is no way a dealership could stay in business with that long of a turn around time on warranty work, so I was thinking that Ford was just planning to give me the run around and not repair it. Now, I am seeing here that I am not the only one with this problem.

BTW, I too disagree that it was weather related issue. As I stated above, I saw the leather start to flake off and discolor shortly after I took delivery during the summer (8 Jun 2010). I just decided to wait until I had a couple other warranty issues prior to taking the car in. Now, I am just hoping that Ford will come to their senses and repair their faulty equipment, rather than lose a long time customer.

Mike

UPDATE: I just got off the phone with Tasca, and apparently the repair was approved by Ford late Friday night (so 1 day shy of 4 weeks). I am told that the replacement seat cover is en route, and should be installed this week or early next. I am going to pick up take-off parts from the blower upgrade on Wednesday, so am hoping to see how it looks then. I will keep y'all posted.

Mike

Not to hijack, but where did you buy the seat covers from? Your dealer? What did they cost?

from the dealer--they were around 1200 as i recall,just for the covers..you can buy parts of them, eg just the bottoms.--I know its extrme and doesnt make th car faster, but i intend to keep this car for a while and Im sure the seats will wear out,so when i sell it, ill offer the buyer a new set-- When they stop making these seats, the price will go up,but im doing it to get a better resale at some point

As a sidebar, the upgraded seat covers offered through Shelby by Gary Disney carry a lifetime warranty. If this ever happens, they will fix or replace it.

If you're referring to this package, the warranty is 3 years/35K miles. However if I were going to buy a new set of seat covers, I would probably go for these instead of the OEM Ford ones.

If you're referring to this package, the warranty is 3 years/35K miles. However if I were going to buy a new set of seat covers, I would probably go for these instead of the OEM Ford ones.

I bought mine early on and I will have to check my documentation, but I believe I got a warranty card for a lifetime (original owner)

I've had my GT500 for about 8 months now and it has around 4000 miles on it.

Did you treat it with any think like leather conditioner?

Nope.

I understand the need to condition the leather

If you understand the need to condition leather, then why haven't you done so over the past 8 months/4000 miles? I agree that the seats are not made of the best material, and they should definitely hold up better than yours (as pictured), but a little maintenance might limit some of the visible wear... or not.

If you understand the need to condition leather, then why haven't you done so over the past 8 months/4000 miles? I agree that the seats are not made of the best material, and they should definitely hold up better than yours (as pictured), but a little maintenance might limit some of the visible wear... or not.

I get your point, but it makes no sense that the part of the seat that gets the most wear is perfect, meanwhile a section that gets zero is failing. It's an obvious issue with that portion of the seat and not a lack of maintenance by any means.

I agree that the leather needs to be conditioned as I do mine on a regular basis. But that wear is very premature. I do not feel you guys are at fault, that is just poor quality leather.

In my 12 years of auto detailing I have found the General Motors leather held up the worst but I would have to say that definately tops the list.

• 2 months later...

Well Ford replaced my drivers side seat cover today under warranty. They did a nice job doing it as well.

If anyone else has this issue I urge you to take it in for sure.

I had a similar issue with my '04 Expedition. The cover on one of the rear seat cushions (bottom) did the same thing. The serv writer said, "No problem" and ordered new seat cushion covers for for all three rear cushions. They were in about a week later and installed while I waited. A lot of the serv/warranty problems fall entirely on the shoulders of the service department, at least that's been my experience with both car and motorcycle dealerships; some of these folks are in the "customer satisfaction" business and some are in the "rejection/denial" business. :shift:

from the dealer--they were around 1200 as i recall,just for the covers..you can buy parts of them, eg just the bottoms.--I know its extrme and doesnt make th car faster, but i intend to keep this car for a while and Im sure the seats will wear out,so when i sell it, ill offer the buyer a new set-- When they stop making these seats, the price will go up,but im doing it to get a better resale at some point

Do you think there's much of a risk of the replacement covers drying out a bit too, over the course of time? Are you doing anything to keep them conditioned?

Well I just had a look at mine too. 2900 plus miles and it is wearing also and I do apply a leather cleaner/conditioner to them. But before I bring it in is there a service bulletin number or anything I can refer them to?

I have a feeling the wear is from getting in and out of the car but I can't imagine it should wear that quickly..

A spare set of $1000 seat covers? Geez Bob I thought I was anal! :hysterical: Actually it is a good idea..if you can afford it.

Back on topic, I live in the driest place this side of the moon and both my Shelbys have never had an issue with the leather. I do have a habit of coating the seats with Lexol condtioner/preservative every few months, and Armor All Leather in between. I'm not sure if that's why but it can't hurt.

Archived