TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Changing camber with stock strut mounts

zombeast

I just noticed something about the stock strut mounts. The four bolts on the mount are not the same distance from the center. There's about a 1/8" difference. It looks like if you rotate the mount 180* you can actually change your camber range in the positive direction (less negative). This could be an alignment aid for those lowering with springs. Anyone else notice or try this?

I just noticed something about the stock strut mounts. The four bolts on the mount are not the same distance from the center. There's about a 1/8" difference. It looks like if you rotate the mount 180* you can actually change your camber range in the positive direction (less negative). This could be an alignment aid for those lowering with springs. Anyone else notice or try this?

Great observation!! That could be very handy.

There is a notch that is supposed to always face forward (I think it's forward). I suppose you could change the angle of the strut if the 4 holes allowed you to rotate the mount but I believe the reason for the notch is so they WILL fit in all four holes.

If/when I finally get my new struts, I'll see if it's possible to rotate the OE mount. I have the Shelby/MM caster/camber plates for mine but I could try it with my stock plates before I put the c/c plates on.

Phill

There is a notch that is supposed to always face forward (I think it's forward). I suppose you could change the angle of the strut if the 4 holes allowed you to rotate the mount but I believe the reason for the notch is so they WILL fit in all four holes.

If/when I finally get my new struts, I'll see if it's possible to rotate the OE mount. I have the Shelby/MM caster/camber plates for mine but I could try it with my stock plates before I put the c/c plates on.

Phill

The notch is supposed to face outward towards the fender. I don't know if there is something in the tower that it mates to. Even if there is, you could just notch or trim the other side. It doesn't appear as though rotating it changes the angle of the mount either.

They do have "fast" cam bolts that replace the upper strut bolt. They do the same thing :)

I used them when I lowered my car with FRPP springs with no problems. Tech stated that in my case, they were required. My current setup with BMR K and A-arms requires even more adjustment. I may use one set of camber bolts in addition to rotating the stock mount. For those that road race, rotating the mount may be the better than camber bolts. I'll probably know more in the next two or three weeks.

Archived