TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Well Crud!

Well, I've had my new scoop on the SGT for a couple of weeks now, and used the rivet nut method to have it installed...Now, after some fairly warm 80 degree plus days out here in West Texas, I am seeing wrinkles in the stripes around the very edges at the back of the scoop. I have tried to loosen the rivet nuts and smooth out the wrinkles, but it is no avail...guess I'm stuck with wrinkled stripes now that the car is out of warranty since February 26th...although the scoop was done under a warranty claim....Any Ideas on how to stop this? Does anyone think Shelby would replace the stripes still under warranty since the scoop was done under warranty just a few weeks ago? Or am I just screwed and may as well wait until I can afford to have the stripes painted on? :angry22::censored::banghead:

Well, I've had my new scoop on the SGT for a couple of weeks now, and used the rivet nut method to have it installed...Now, after some fairly warm 80 degree plus days out here in West Texas, I am seeing wrinkles in the stripes around the very edges at the back of the scoop. I have tried to loosen the rivet nuts and smooth out the wrinkles, but it is no avail...guess I'm stuck with wrinkled stripes now that the car is out of warranty since February 26th...although the scoop was done under a warranty claim....Any Ideas on how to stop this? Does anyone think Shelby would replace the stripes still under warranty since the scoop was done under warranty just a few weeks ago? Or am I just screwed and may as well wait until I can afford to have the stripes painted on? :angry22::censored::banghead:

My stripes are wrinkling at the two front corners :( I'm thinking if there was a rubber gasket all the way around the scoop, this could prevent the wrinkling. I may have to ask one of the mechanical engineers at work about this.

Humm..that's strange as the new scoop was made to prevent this.

The contraction/expansion of the scoop, and the stripe wrinkles it caused, were mostly seen on the 08's with their improved thicker stripes.

I've had my car out in 100+ days over the last two years and haven't seen this nor seen it reported with the new scoop at all until now.

:headscratch:

Ive had the "new scoop" for awhile now and no problems here either. I had the same question about a gasket, and I was told

also that no gasket was needed.

I say paint them on. I will get around to it someday. There are a couple of ways I have seen the stripes done.

Recreate the raised look of the original stripe or the smooth finish. They both look good but whatever fits your taste.

Kevin

07SGT2591

If you ever want to change the color of your stripes, have the silver painted and cleared so it's not raised. This way, you can apply vinyl stripes over the top in any color without creasing or any other issue.

When you're ready to go back to silver, just pull the vinyl stripes off and you're good to go.

If changing stripe colors in the future isn't ever a concern, then paint them raised or flush. Either way looks good.

If you ever want to change the color of your stripes, have the silver painted and cleared so it's not raised. This way, you can apply vinyl stripes over the top in any color without creasing or any other issue.

When you're ready to go back to silver, just pull the vinyl stripes off and you're good to go.

If changing stripe colors in the future isn't ever a concern, then paint them raised or flush. Either way looks good.

If you have the stripes painted just on the hood and nowhere else, which is what I'm assuming you're implying, is it really noticable that you haven't painted the stripes anywhere else? Aesthetically, can you get away with painting JUST the hood? I'm not looking to take the lazy way; just wondering if Ford will spring for the whole stripe paint job! :headscratch:

^Unless you're right on top of it, comparing textures of the stripes with an ultra close eye, you can't tell the difference, no. I've got my hood and front fascia stripes painted only right now and it looks factory IMO.

I've had some slight wrinkles in my new stripes around the scoop. It's not that the new scoop shrinks, it's that the aluminum hood actually shrinks and expands with heat. Check the gaps around the edges with a feeler gauge before and after it sits in the sun, it's surprising. To lay the wrinkles back down, tuck them in under the scoop with a plastic razor blade. I bought some, got a box of 100, I got 99 left. PM me your address, and I'll mail you a few. They're also good for removing vinyl decals, etc... won't scratch the paint.

Jer

Archived