TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Traction Control

Does any know if the TCS on the '08 pulls throttle or does it apply brakes?

The rear passenger side brake began squealing at me this week. I assumed it was due to te moisture in the air, but when inspected the brakes last night to be certain I found the pads on that brake where completely worn down. I haven't been on a track in over a year now so I know it wasn't from hard braking. My only conclusion is the TCS has been working pretty hard to tame my cement shoe. The rest of the pads look fine. Only the passenger rear is gone. I'll be replacing te pads on both side this afternoon.

Any thoughts on the TCS?

Thanks, that was always my assumption. I have always killed the TCS at the track as well but I've read a few places where guys who are boosted where modifing their TCS to always be off to prevent the TCS from kicking in and creating a lean environment.

Does any know if the TCS on the '08 pulls throttle or does it apply brakes?

The rear passenger side brake began squealing at me this week. I assumed it was due to te moisture in the air, but when inspected the brakes last night to be certain I found the pads on that brake where completely worn down. I haven't been on a track in over a year now so I know it wasn't from hard braking. My only conclusion is the TCS has been working pretty hard to tame my cement shoe. The rest of the pads look fine. Only the passenger rear is gone. I'll be replacing te pads on both side this afternoon.

Any thoughts on the TCS?

My rear pads were in worse shape than the fronts after my first summer of spirited ownership... Wasn't aware that the TCS in the "ON" position was taking their toll on the rear brakes...

I have no idea about the de-fueling, wonder if the newer advance trac does that? I do know first hand that on ours the brakes are the main part of the traction control. I wish they didn't come with it at all. I want to be the one driving not the damn car telling me where it wants to go.

Uh, guys, it also does throttle as well. I recently used it on my Mustang when I was driving through 4" mud (I live off a dirt road and it was raining for 3 days), and so I actually left the TCS on for the day. The system was activated for approx. 8 seconds straight as I was climbing up a very slippery hill. I can tell you that the PCM was letting off the throttle even when my foot was in the same position. As I tried to pedal the car up the hill, I would regain the revs and then TCS system would take them away. Eventually, I just left my foot at half throttle and let the system work. To my surprise it did, and I got up the hill. The brakes may account for the initial slowdown in high wheel spin situations, but I can confirm that on the Mustangs with TCS and electronic throttle bodies, the PCM also adjusts the throttle position.

Eventually, I turned it back off just to find out how slippery things were and as I got to three quaters throttle the car was sliding all over the place. You definitely have to be aware of how the car reacts. Finally, when I pulled it into the garage I did not detect any hot brake smell.

Thanks, that was always my assumption. I have always killed the TCS at the track as well but I've read a few places where guys who are boosted where modifing their TCS to always be off to prevent the TCS from kicking in and creating a lean environment.

This mod will trigger a relay with the starter signal and turn off TCS while you are starting the car. You can turn it back on by pushing the TCS switch. It works great !!!

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/63959-tcs-mod/page__p__1090773__fromsearch__1#entry1090773

This mod will trigger a relay with the starter signal and turn off TCS while you are starting the car. You can turn it back on by pushing the TCS switch. It works great !!!

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/63959-tcs-mod/page__p__1090773__fromsearch__1#entry1090773

+1 on this, It is my favorite mod of all time !

I always forgot to turn it off, now I just have to remember to turn it on, if I need it.

Andrew

Archived