TEAM SHELBY FORUM

If you have a glass roof, are you happy with it?

sweenstang

Folks -

I'm fine tuning my plans for ordering a 2012 GT500. The glass roof option looks very appealing to me. For those of you that have it, any complaints about it? Do you think much soundproofing is lost due to the the glass roof having less insulation that the hardtop? Any other likes or dislikes about it you can share.

Thanks.

If you can also state if you got it as a factory option or added it on, and where you live so when know the climate your referring too. I want to add this to my 500 too.

CC - FYI, I see in the 2012 dealer's ordering info that the glass roof is supposedly designed to keep the interior to within 2 degrees F when compared to the hardtop. Figure this might be useful info to you since I see you're in Florida. I'd interpret this to mean that, in the heat of the FL sun, your interior would warm up to 132 degrees instead of 130, or something like that. Seems like minimal impact in exchange for the benefit of a panoramic view out of the roof. I'm in Maryland, and our summers are hot here too.

Anyone have actual experience with the glass roof they can share (instead of hearing from me who so far has only read the documentation)?

I haven't had any experience with this Mustang glass roof, but the test is what kind of solid covering is there to come over/under it. If it's solid metal or plastic, OK. If it's just a piece of fabric, odds are if won't keep the sun light or heat out on hot days, and also you'll be sitting in all that additional direct UV radiation, which is not good for your skin, hair, or eyes - not to mention eventually bleaching out your car's interior and cracking the leather/vinyl. If you have a dashplaque with Carroll Shelby's handwritten signature, you can watch it fade out that much faster.

I looked at a Cadillac CTS-V with its version of the glass roof, and the only covering was a fabric sheet - absolutely useless and, as far as I was concerned, a deal-breaker [had I been considering a purchase].

I do like "moon roofs" (sliding glass panels with sliding opaque/hard covers). Have one on my PT Cruiser and use it all the time.

Love my glass roof. It is tinted of course which I'm sure is part of the claim of only minimal heat. It has a pull across screen to block the sun if you like. works great and is a HUGE change in the openness and air of the car. I had to have this option. It was dealbreaker NOT to have this roof. The dealer was pissed as he had three others but they had to find this one for me. Woudn't have it any other way and don't regret it one bit.

I haven't had any experience with this Mustang glass roof, but the test is what kind of solid covering is there to come over/under it. If it's solid metal or plastic, OK. If it's just a piece of fabric, odds are if won't keep the sun light or heat out on hot days, and also you'll be sitting in all that additional direct UV radiation, which is not good for your skin, hair, or eyes - not to mention eventually bleaching out your car's interior and cracking the leather/vinyl. If you have a dashplaque with Carroll Shelby's handwritten signature, you can watch it fade out that much faster.

I looked at a Cadillac CTS-V with its version of the glass roof, and the only covering was a fabric sheet - absolutely useless and, as far as I was concerned, a deal-breaker [had I been considering a purchase].

I do like "moon roofs" (sliding glass panels with sliding opaque/hard covers). Have one on my PT Cruiser and use it all the time.

Fair points, and I appreciate your reply. Ford commits to the roof having an SPF of 50. For more protection, there is the fabric screen that blocks out the sun.

Love my glass roof. It is tinted of course which I'm sure is part of the claim of only minimal heat. It has a pull across screen to block the sun if you like. works great and is a HUGE change in the openness and air of the car. I had to have this option. It was dealbreaker NOT to have this roof. The dealer was pissed as he had three others but they had to find this one for me. Woudn't have it any other way and don't regret it one bit.

Wry - That is EXTREMELY helpful, knowing your experience with your glass roof. You've convinced me to go for it. I've negotiated the price including a glass roof and will be placing my order on Monday. Get a load of this unique combo (which is why they need to order it): Kona Blue, Satin Black stripes, glass roof, electronics pkg, car cover. That's it. I'll be cruising more than cornering, so I'm passing on the SVT and Recaro options. I'm pumped!

Sween

The glass roof is actually stiffer than the metal roof. Quieter then the metal roof and has UV protection built in. Ford got it right. It has less NVH with the glass roof. Have you ever "leaned" on the metal roof? Did it flex? I am sure it does. That piece of metal bends rather easily. It is pretty thin. .go try leaning on the glass roof, does it flex? NOPE!! I remember Ford releasing specs on it when they first came out with it in '09, but to lazy to search for it now. Sorry. If you really have to have the specs to support this do a search. I don't want to. I will eventually have one put in on my GT500. My brother has one in his '09 GT, it really is nice.

The glass roof is actually stiffer than the metal roof. Quieter then the metal roof and has UV protection built in. Ford got it right. It has less NVH with the glass roof. Have you ever "leaned" on the metal roof? Did it flex? I am sure it does. That piece of metal bends rather easily. It is pretty thin. .go try leaning on the glass roof, does it flex? NOPE!! I remember Ford releasing specs on it when they first came out with it in '09, but to lazy to search for it now. Sorry. If you really have to have the specs to support this do a search. I don't want to. I will eventually have one put in on my GT500. My brother has one in his '09 GT, it really is nice.

+1 on the added rigidity. Mine was the concept GT500 with the Glassback roof installed. We've been through one Phoenix summer with it and it wasn't any worse than any of our other vehicles in the harsh sun. In fact, for a black interior car without tinted windows...it was surprisingly tolerable. I love the roominess and the additional light it lets in!

I did a little more looking around, and this seems to describe the glass roof in detail. That's a remarkable piece of technology to do all that filtering!

when you are spending that kind of jack the dealer should be saying thank you for the business instead of being pissed just my thoughts...

when you are spending that kind of jack the dealer should be saying thank you for the business instead of being pissed just my thoughts...

My thoughts exactly...the salesman kept telling me that he needed me to fill out the survey I would get from Ford about the "sales experience". He kept saying that if I didn't answer straight 5 out of 5 on the questions he would get in trouble. Yes, he said this all during the negotiation and purchase process, but continually failed to deliver on any promises or committments. I blasted him and the dealer on that survey and two weeks later on a Saturday morning I get a voicemail every half hour from their Sales Mgr saying I have to call them back..."It's urgent". Well after three VMs I have a chance to do just that and the Sales manager is very agitated about why I gave such a bad review....so I told him the whole story. "Oh I'm sorry it will never happen again" I asked him how he going to change what happened? He continued to apologize and say it would not happen again, but no talk of what he would change. So get this, two weeks after that conversation, he calls me again on a saturday morning and asks me how my sales experience was with the car. I asked if he didn't realize that he had just called me two weeks ago when I explained the whole deal to him. He paused....said hold on......came back and said oh that's right we did talk, but just to be sure...did I have any problems? I said "let's start with you".

nice it would have been easy to begin with. I have a friend that owns a lincoln dealership. He said that is very important to them getting cars promo etc for the next year.

My thoughts exactly...the salesman kept telling me that he needed me to fill out the survey I would get from Ford about the "sales experience". He kept saying that if I didn't answer straight 5 out of 5 on the questions he would get in trouble. Yes, he said this all during the negotiation and purchase process, but continually failed to deliver on any promises or committments. I blasted him and the dealer on that survey and two weeks later on a Saturday morning I get a voicemail every half hour from their Sales Mgr saying I have to call them back..."It's urgent". Well after three VMs I have a chance to do just that and the Sales manager is very agitated about why I gave such a bad review....so I told him the whole story. "Oh I'm sorry it will never happen again" I asked him how he going to change what happened? He continued to apologize and say it would not happen again, but no talk of what he would change. So get this, two weeks after that conversation, he calls me again on a saturday morning and asks me how my sales experience was with the car. I asked if he didn't realize that he had just called me two weeks ago when I explained the whole deal to him. He paused....said hold on......came back and said oh that's right we did talk, but just to be sure...did I have any problems? I said "let's start with you".

Thanks again everybody for your replies.

I bit the bullet today and finally placed my order for a 2012... spend.gif... WITH the Glass Roof. It will be awesome - can't wait! (as suggested by my new avatar).

Now, to count down the days, and plan my mods...dance.gif

Yes you can not sure who sells the kit but in one of the mustang mag. they installed one in a GT500 i think the car was called project vapor trail.

I believe CDC / Classic design concepts in Michigan are the originators / designers of the Glass roof and do install them or will tell you who can. Ask for George he is the owner and will know.

Scotty

Great choose. I have a 2011 Shelby Grabber Blue w/ Glass Roof, SVT, GPS. VERY :happy feet: VERY happy with my choose and you will be too.

Thanks, and I know I too will be extremely happy when my new ride comes in. When I test drove a 2011 model a couple months ago, I returned to the dealer and spontaneously told the sales manager that it was a religious experience! And that one didn't even have a glass roof. The dealer called me today and said they now have an order confirmation and the process is moving. Hoping I can get it by June. shift.gif

• 1 year later...

So I guess being old when I ordered my 2012 GT CS I forgot to put in the glass roof. Tried to change it but the car was serialized.

Was real pissed. Asked the dealer if I could add it on as an option and he said no.

Now I see that it may be possible. I am in the Toronto, Canada area.

Anyone know if they can do it up here.

P.S. My roof has got dents in it. Ford says not their problem. Can't see how someone could have put 7 of them on it in 6 weeks. Since its parked inside most of the times.

So I have to replace the roof anyway thought it may be a good time to put in the glass roof the dumby in me forgot to do.

My 2013 GT 5.0 is on order with a glass roof. My wife talked me into adding it so I sure hope I like it!

Archived