TEAM SHELBY FORUM

front license plate :(

Does anyone have a picture of a plate on the front of their car?

reason being i hate them, but first night out with the gt500 tonight, 200 feet from my exit state highway patrol pulls me over for no front plate and writes me a warning :( tells me i have to get it on.

i wouldn't put it on and take my chances again without it but i seem to be the target for all cops :/ seeing last years issues with a cop lied about what he pulled me over for( he got in trouble). Anyway i don't want to give them any reason to pull me over for something as stupid as a front plate when the cars in front of me didn't have one either. Which will also raise my insurance which is already high.

i hate to do it, but i'm thinking just drilling out the holes and just putting it right on with no bracket that would make it stick out.

So if you guys could help me out with some pictures that would be great

Thanks,

Kyle

DON'T DO IT!!!!

Look through the threads. Not sure if its in this forum or another, but there is a thread on front plate brackets that attach to the fender without drilling into it. Looks real nice. If you ever move to a state that doesn't require a front plate, your all set. Or, if you ever sell, you can possibly sell to someone in a state that doesn't require it.

Does anyone have a picture of a plate on the front of their car?

reason being i hate them, but first night out with the gt500 tonight, 200 feet from my exit state highway patrol pulls me over for no front plate and writes me a warning :( tells me i have to get it on.

i wouldn't put it on and take my chances again without it but i seem to be the target for all cops :/ seeing last years issues with a cop lied about what he pulled me over for( he got in trouble). Anyway i don't want to give them any reason to pull me over for something as stupid as a front plate when the cars in front of me didn't have one either. Which will also raise my insurance which is already high.

i hate to do it, but i'm thinking just drilling out the holes and just putting it right on with no bracket that would make it stick out.

So if you guys could help me out with some pictures that would be great

Thanks,

Kyle

Don't do it. I was pulled over for this in TX and didnt get anything done when i politely told him that I would be more than happy to put mine on the front once it was regulated that corvettes, STI's and other sport cars put them on the front. I have never seen a vette with a front license plate, nor will my shelby have one until ALL cars are created equal lol. Until then, if you want to be correct either way, just rest it in the dash under the window.

Don't do it. I was pulled over for this in TX and didnt get anything done when i politely told him that I would be more than happy to put mine on the front once it was regulated that corvettes, STI's and other sport cars put them on the front. I have never seen a vette with a front license plate, nor will my shelby have one until ALL cars are created equal lol. Until then, if you want to be correct either way, just rest it in the dash under the window.

I was pulled over last week by a very nice and polite Texas DPS Trooper. He gave me a warning. No fines or anything else. He told me that putting the front plate on the dash or attaching it to the visor was not adequate. I have seen the bracket from traillerrebuilders and it is an excellent solution. Mine was ordered earlier this week.

After receiving one in Ohio for ~$130, and then moving out to California where it's required, I put mine through the bumper. The plate is going to look bad wherever you put it, and however you put it, IMO. :shrug:

So I "drilled my bumper." OH NOOOEES!! :runaway:

All you need to do is get some black nylon zip ties. Attach it to your lower grill in all 4 corners and cut them off and replace as needed (going to track, car show w/e), takes less than a minute. Keep extras in your car.

I have the Show-N-Go good for the car show circuit. Built kinda chinsy but gets the job done.

+1 on the show and go. you can get one with or with out remote capabilities. They are really easy to bend to all hell though.

I got mine from craigs custom brackets http://www.ccmustangbrackets.com/

I really like it and have nothing bad to say about it. I really didn't want to put one on in the first place, but the cops do pull you over for that alone!!

Here are a few pictures...

IMG_2013.jpg

IMG_2014.jpg

very cool guys thanks for all the photos. i talked to my local police chief, he said since it was a St. patty's day that is a good reason to get a guy like me hoping i would do something stupid. he said to give it some time and most likely they wont bother me again, if they do i will have to put it on.

PS. he doesn't want me to put it on either :)

Thanks for all the help though guys!

Kyle

Shortly after I purchased my GT500, I was out driving when I go pulled over. I was coming out of a residential neighborhood onto a main road. As I approached the stop sign, I noticed a police officer drive by (it was a "T" intersection). After making sure that I made a complete stop, I turned left onto the road. I then noticed that the officer had pulled over about 300 yards down the road and was waiting for me. I kept one eye on my speedometer and the other on the officer as I approached. Sure enough, as soon as I passed him, he pulled back into traffic and on came the lights. After checking my license, registration, and insurance, he asked me if I knew that I was supposed to have a front plate on my car. I replied that it was in the trunk and that I simply had not installed it yet. After several minutes, he let me off with a warning. As he turned to walk away, I heard him mumble under his breath that if he had a car as nice as mine that he would not put on the front plate either! To this day, I believe that he simply wanted to check out my car! :doh:

• 2 weeks later...

I was pulled over last week by a very nice and polite Texas DPS Trooper. He gave me a warning. No fines or anything else. He told me that putting the front plate on the dash or attaching it to the visor was not adequate. I have seen the bracket from traillerrebuilders and it is an excellent solution. Mine was ordered earlier this week.

I've tried getting a hold of trailerrebuilders.com and can't seem to get anyone. I wonder if the tornadoes that have gone through central Florida have affected their business?

I live in Wisconsin and I always have it in the back of my mind that I need to get a license plate in front of my GT500. I feel guilty putting it on the street knowingly breaking the law.

I've tried getting a hold of trailerrebuilders.com and can't seem to get anyone. I wonder if the tornadoes that have gone through central Florida have affected their business?

I live in Wisconsin and I always have it in the back of my mind that I need to get a license plate in front of my GT500. I feel guilty putting it on the street knowingly breaking the law.

I just gave them a call on the phone. Email did not work. The number is 863-439-1811. Normal business hours are 8-4 Eastern. I think it took me two tries to reach them.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my front plate, no way in hell I was going to drill two holes in the front bumper. NY can kiss my A$$.

It is the Show and Go kit and I made two custom brackets so I didn't have to drill any holes in the air splitter. The kit is pretty flimsy and I don't think it would hold up to a car that is driven daily. But it will work for the amount that I will drive the car. I was just a bit disappointed in the quality of the thing for the price.

Archived