TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Cruise to Shelby Exhibit / Car Show in Hershey

tony356

Ok, here was the best part of the day. I met a great guy today and he shared with me a completely remarkable story.

This gentleman purchased this 1965 GT350 in 1969 as a used but previously untitled car. He purchased it to race but also so he could use it as his TOW VEHICLE to tow his Austin Healey to and from race tracks on the east coast. Cool right? Well in 1979 it was stolen. A few years ago (almost 30 years from when it was stolen) he got a call from a registry person from SAAC that thought they found his car. Here, the car was on ebay!!! The sellers tried to disguise the real vin info but within a few days of getting the info from SAAC, the owner had the car impounded. Unfortunately, it took several years, many lawyers and of course a lot of cash for the car to be returned to it's rightful owner. I was very humbled that this gentleman would share his story with me. At the end of the day he was kind enough to bring the car over and allow a group of us to snap some shots. I am honored to have met him, hear his story and see the car. Very cool! :happy feet:

I heard you talking to him this afternoon but I didn't hear the story... that is pretty neat!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, here was the best part of the day. I met a great guy today and he shared with me a completely remarkable story.

This gentleman purchased this 1965 GT350 in 1969 as a used but previously untitled car. He purchased it to race but also so he could use it as his TOW VEHICLE to tow his Austin Healey to and from race tracks on the east coast. Cool right? Well in 1979 it was stolen. A few years ago (almost 30 years from when it was stolen) he got a call from a registry person from SAAC that thought they found his car. Here, the car was on ebay!!! The sellers tried to disguise the real vin info but within a few days of getting the info from SAAC, the owner had the car impounded. Unfortunately, it took several years, many lawyers and of course a lot of cash for the car to be returned to it's rightful owner. I was very humbled that this gentleman would share his story with me. At the end of the day he was kind enough to bring the car over and allow a group of us to snap some shots. I am honored to have met him, hear his story and see the car. Very cool! :happy feet:

Great story, beautiful cars...

Thanks for letting me sit in it and start it up. Made my day...

:salute:

Is it me or does that gentleman look like Tony's dad? :headscratch:

A big thanks to all the TS who braved the wind tunnel err I mean the Shelby gathering. It was great meeting so many TS guys and putting screen-names with faces! It was a fantastic TS turnout and a great turnout overall. Tony won the People's choice award and I think the "paparazzi" was out in force takings pics of his car! It literally stole the show. I brought the KR but his was a "KS" (King of the Show)...

There were a ton of awesome Shelbys there and we made a few new recruits as well. Dan from Lehigh Valley SAAC did a great job of organizing the show and I really feel that we can count on SAAC to have a great showing and some of the NE TS events.

It was great getting the car out for the first time this year and I can't wait until the next TS NE event.

Thanks again to all who came out!!

Andy

Great show, great cars, and great people.

Mr's Z and I just got home. After the show we went to the Hershey Chocolate Factory for a while, then to dinner. We have a very nice day, and got to meet even more of the Team Shelby 'family'. Even got my official Northeastern Region Team Shelby T-shirt.

Well, without further delay, here are some of the pictures from the day...

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0072.jpg

DSC_0074.jpg

DSC_0086.jpg

DSC_0070.jpg

DSC_0096.jpg

DSC_0100.jpg

DSC_0154.jpg

DSC_0147.jpg

DSC_0119.jpg

DSC_0106.jpg

All the rest of the photos can be found at http://s438.photobucket.com/albums/qq106/z-man1234/Team%20Shelby%20at%20AACA%20%20April%2017th%202011/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ16 I haven't edited, cropped, or even deleted the blurry ones....there are exactly as they were taken....for better or worse.

Enjoy!!!!

Z-man

Z-man,

As always, great pics! Thanks.

Nice pics Z-man!

:salute:

Thanks for the compliments guys. As the Northeast Region official/unofficial photographer, I do what I can. :camera:

Hope you found a picture or two of your cars in the Photobucket link. You can download whatever you want from there for your own use and enjoyment.

If any Team Shelby members see me at a future event and want me to snap a couple photos of your car for you, just let me know.

Z-man

Z what kind of camera do you used for that show? I didnt want to be a stalkerish at the show, but most of the cameras i saw people were using were Nikon's, you have great quality of pics

Didn't know I had a stalker. :hysterical:

You are correct, I shoot a Nikon. It's a D50. It's by no means their top of the line (it's only about 6 Megapixeles), but it was the best I could afford at the time. Nikon has a special software built into the camera that somehow processes the photo's to make them have a higher resolution that you would expect from a 6 Megapixel camera....heck, some point and shoots are now up to 12 or 16 Megapixeles. I have seen photos from the same camera I have enlarged to 24" x 36" and they still look great (no loss of quality or increase in what we used to call 'grain back in the film days). I would love to shoot a 12 Megapixel Nikon and see haw that compares to my D50.

Possibly more important than the camera itself, is the lens choice. For a car show I typically us a 17mm-50mm/F2.8 zoom. The one I had at Hershey was made by Tamron. I shoot at the highest focal length I can, but have to balance that against being back away from the cars so much that people don't see me and keep walking into the shot. :finger:

For low light situations, I have a Nikon 50mm/F 1.4. It's a sweet lens, but it often needs to be put on a tripod or braced very securely to take full advantage of it. My zoom is a Sigma 75mm-300mm/F4.5. It's technically a non-digital lens but it works fine, and since it is non-digital the zoom acts as it is a 112mm-450mm (really good for those long distance shots). If I photograph cars on track, this is the primary lens I use. Have a couple other lens as well, including a fish-eye, but don't use them as much as these three.

Anytime I can combine taking photos and nice cars together, I'm happy. If you can figure out how to add beautiful women (besides Mrs. Z...gotta stay out of trouble :redcard: ) and good food, I just might quite my day job and start a new career. :hysterical:

Z-man

Archived