TEAM SHELBY FORUM

How Slow it is!

Just came back from a few errands. I had a new orange/white camaro SS eyeballing me as I rolled through traffic. Finally, he got next to me at a 30 mph roll, and I heard him drop a gear, so I dropped to second gear and mashed the GO pedal just after he did only to watch him get smaller in the distance...AHEAD of me. The car even felt like a pig. It just wouldn't rev fast enough.

He stopped at the light, and asked me if I was surprised by how hard he pulled away. I said "not really". Apparently the camaro was supercharged by its previous owner, but I couldn't hear it.

I bought this car to replace my supercharged '93, as I was looking for something as fast with comfort and reliability. Where did I go wrong? My '93 and even my Porsche 944 Turbo four-banger would have walked that guy.

I'm really hoping that gears and pulley wake this turd up. Otherwise, we are parting ways.

...I'm really hoping that gears and pulley wake this turd up. Otherwise, we are parting ways.

You know that will wake the car up... Don't forget the CAI, new tune and of course, you'll be needing stickier tires after that. If you're diving in Arizona heat, you may want to look into some cooling mods too. These GT500s really seem sluggish when it's hot out (mine does). Don't be discouraged... These can be reliable 11 second street cars with just a few mods.

Don't lose heart. Is your car stock? A GT500 comes with a very conservative tune just waiting for its potential to be unlocked. A Stage 2 adds about 120HP. That should make you happier and a more difficult target to beat for the Camaro boys. But be careful though, I've seen new Camaros with superchargers, slicks and full exhaust running 10's. If you are that concerned, Justin from VMP built a low 10 second new 5.0 that you could emulate easily.

The car has a C&L CAI, Magnaflow X pipe with spun cats and Magnaflow mufflers, and a VMP tune.

I would like to do upper and lower pulleys, since I need to swap out that monster balancer anyway, then long tubes and 3.73's. I've got the widest KDW's they make on the rear, which are pretty sticky for a street tire, so I'm thinking about using LCA relocation brackets to gain a little more grip.

Maybe a lower temp thermostat and dropping the fan threshold would help, along with a radiator and intercooler.

Thanks JerseyGator! It has always been my favorite color combo. The stripes are painted on, and a bit different shade from the originals.

post-21656-0-42763800-1300123240_thumb.jpg

post-21656-0-42763800-1300123240_thumb.jpg

Your 93 is a much lighter car so you have to compensate with more power with this car.

I have a '91 and it's bone stock and you can truly feel how the extra weight affects these cars.

I suspect that Camaro had a big blower and aggressive tune (the Camaro is heavier than the GT500).

If you put a Whipple or KB on your car it wouldn't even be a close race. That would be the equivalent to his mods so it's all in how you look at it.

The car has a C&L CAI, Magnaflow X pipe with spun cats and Magnaflow mufflers, and a VMP tune.

I would like to do upper and lower pulleys, since I need to swap out that monster balancer anyway, then long tubes and 3.73's. I've got the widest KDW's they make on the rear, which are pretty sticky for a street tire, so I'm thinking about using LCA relocation brackets to gain a little more grip.

Maybe a lower temp thermostat and dropping the fan threshold would help, along with a radiator and intercooler.

Thanks JerseyGator! It has always been my favorite color combo. The stripes are painted on, and a bit different shade from the originals.

Then your car is no slouch. I would have asked him what he had in it. I'm thinking supercharger and nitrous.

I got beat (by 1/2 car length 30-130) last year to a Camaro with a long list of mods including nitrous. My trunk was full from a trip I just got back from so I figured if I emptied the trunk I would have walked him. All I have is Stage 2 for power mods.

If the ambient temp was at all warm and you caught him in stop n go around town driving, or if you had been romping it all before you met up with him, you were probably heat soaked and got robbed of some power. You need to pick up a dual fan heat exchanger from Van at Revan Racing.

Thanks to everyone for the input! I went out and spent some good one-on-one time with her yesterday. We talked about the situation...I consoled her...and promised to make things better.

I need to swap my HUUGE balancer pulley before I change the blower pulley, and was wondering if I should spend the extra $$ for the IW 10% pulley...since I'm right there. Is the additional $400 over a stock pulley worth it?

I'm sure the car was warm; stop-and-go traffic and 88 degrees outside.

Thanks to everyone for the input! I went out and spent some good one-on-one time with her yesterday. We talked about the situation...I consoled her...and promised to make things better.

I need to swap my HUUGE balancer pulley before I change the blower pulley, and was wondering if I should spend the extra $$ for the IW 10% pulley...since I'm right there. Is the additional $400 over a stock pulley worth it?

I'm sure the car was warm; stop-and-go traffic and 88 degrees outside.

Yup heat soaked. It really robs the power when the computer backs off the timing. In addition to the HP mods you are going to need to address the heat soak especially where you live. You will need a dual fan heat exchanger. I have the version sold by Shelby Performance Parts (Revan Racing) made by C/R and love it. No more soak. Actually I have the complete Shelby cooling package (dual fan heat exchanger, radiator and tanks). VMP Tuning also sells a dual fan one made by Afco.

but he apparently had more power.

Which means it's been modded! What kills me about these cars is that there's always somebody coming up to me and says, "Man, my brother's cousin's daughter's boyfriend's brother's nephew has got a Hondayotaissan that that Mustang wouldn't want none of. It's got twin screwchargers and direct injection plutonium and a flux capacitor with a pop-off valve." I used to listen politely and say, "cool, sounds like a cool car man." and walk away. I've gotten a little more crotchity in my old age and now I say, "Well, have him total up all the $$ he's spent on his toy. If he'll give me the same amount to spend on mine, then we'll run. Otherwise, if he's had to to THAT much to it to compete with my ol' stone stock Ford.......I must have a heck of a car!" Then I walk off.

Which means it's been modded! What kills me about these cars is that there's always somebody coming up to me and says, "Man, my brother's cousin's daughter's boyfriend's brother's nephew has got a Hondayotaissan that that Mustang wouldn't want none of. It's got twin screwchargers and direct injection plutonium and a flux capacitor with a pop-off valve." I used to listen politely and say, "cool, sounds like a cool car man." and walk away. I've gotten a little more crotchity in my old age and now I say, "Well, have him total up all the $ he's spent on his toy. If he'll give me the same amount to spend on mine, then we'll run. Otherwise, if he's had to to THAT much to it to compete with my ol' stone stock Ford.......I must have a heck of a car!" Then I walk off.

:hysterical2:

+1 for an upgraded HE with fans. My vote is for the Revan / Shelby with oversized (stock look if you want) resevoir tank. That and the upper pulley will help a ton. Slap that lower pulley on and your going to need to work on your street traction even more, but you'll be a tq monster.

Which means it's been modded! What kills me about these cars is that there's always somebody coming up to me and says, "Man, my brother's cousin's daughter's boyfriend's brother's nephew has got a Hondayotaissan that that Mustang wouldn't want none of. It's got twin screwchargers and direct injection plutonium and a flux capacitor with a pop-off valve." I used to listen politely and say, "cool, sounds like a cool car man." and walk away. I've gotten a little more crotchity in my old age and now I say, "Well, have him total up all the $$ he's spent on his toy. If he'll give me the same amount to spend on mine, then we'll run. Otherwise, if he's had to to THAT much to it to compete with my ol' stone stock Ford.......I must have a heck of a car!" Then I walk off.

Man you just made me spit coffee all over my keyboard. You made my day. :hysterical::hysterical2:

:hysterical:

I will remember this in case someone gives me a difficult time.

Archived