TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Start out in first gear or second?

My older brother drove a 70 Mustang back in the day. Now that I have ordered a 2012 GT350 we have been having some Mustang "discussions". He says first gear is not needed and to start out in second. Anyone do this? I know some people that do, but not me. Who is right, or does it matter?

Well, it doesnt harm your transmission to start out in second. When I picked up my GT350, I got some seat time with Gary Patterson, who showed me how you could actually start out in 3rd without applying any gas. Pretty cool really. I had done that in 2nd before, but never 3rd.

The point behind that was to illustrate that revving your engine at take off and then releasing the clutch is not needed and wears out your clutch faster. Engaging in 2nd or 3rd and keeping your RPMs right around 1000 was a fun challenge.:hysterical:

• 4 weeks later...

i use 1st gear and enjoy it every time. if i am slowing down to a halt and the light goes green or traffic begins moving and i'm even rolling a little bit, i use 2nd. enjoy your wait - you will not regret it.

If i am stopped in my SGT i go 1, 2, 3, ...

I know how short first gear can be but it is still first in my eyes.

I have put my SGT in 3rd gear and moved slowly from a stop once. I was confused why I was going so slow.

I use 2 gear in the winter time to maximize traction n eliminate slipping on wet or snowy weather when driving my truck. It works extremely well.

Scotty

My truck is a 4spd AOD. I have a 3:73 limited slip rear end. I always spin my tires. :peelout:

Archived