TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hosed by a dealership

steemin

Made an appointment with the GM of a nearby dealership (just across the state line) to go look at a new 2011 SVTPP with Elec. pkg.

Drove 2 hours to see the car today.

Inspected the car. Then they drove it out of the showroom for me to take it for a test drive. Car is awesome. Loved it!!!

Sat down to negotiate the price.

Handed him a Cashiers check for the amount I was willing to pay

"Out the door". I was very clear that this amount included sales tax,doc fees etc etc..all expenses. Sales person took the offer to the GM and he came back with a counter.. It was slightly more than I wanted to pay but I decided what the hell I love the car...

They take the car to the shop to detail it,remove the window sticke etc.

I sit down with the finance person, she pulls all the manuals out of plastic,hands me the extra key and we start signing all the paperwork.

After I had signed about 12 documents she puts the purchase order in front of me and it is approx $700 more than our agreed upon price!

I told her we have a problem..

She called the manager over and he said that "sales people are not the numbers guys and that they miscalculated the sales tax".

I told him that I was crystal clear as to my out of state sales tax rate.

I even had it in writing on a cheat sheet that I showed the salesman .Not to mention the fact that they were over more than the alleged additional sales tax amount. They were also over by the amount of doc fees and title fees.

I shared with him that I was not going to pay the extra $700. I went on to say that I was going to walk if they did not honor the agreed upon price..

The GM said that is the best he can do. He can't lose money on this car.

I very politely thanked him for his time,shook his hand and walked out the door..

I am still in shock. In all my years of buying cars/boats etc... never have I had this happen.

At this point in time I am not going to disclose the dealers name as I am hopeful that they will come to their senses and call me to honor the deal..

The search continues:(

Scott

Ahhh, keep looking bro. They're the one's losing out, not you. Contrary to popular belief there are still plenty of 11's sitting on dealer lots and with 12's hitting the ground now, the 11's are only going to drop. If the guy calls you back, I'd make him drop another $100 just for the gas he made you waste driving back and forth for a measly $700... :hysterical:

Made an appointment with the GM of a nearby dealership (just across the state line) to go look at a new 2011 SVTPP with Elec. pkg.

Drove 2 hours to see the car today.

Inspected the car. Then they drove it out of the showroom for me to take it for a test drive. Car is awesome. Loved it!!!

Sat down to negotiate the price.

Handed him a Cashiers check for the amount I was willing to pay

"Out the door". I was very clear that this amount included sales tax,doc fees etc etc..all expenses. Sales person took the offer to the GM and he came back with a counter.. It was slightly more than I wanted to pay but I decided what the hell I love the car...

They take the car to the shop to detail it,remove the window sticke etc.

I sit down with the finance person, she pulls all the manuals out of plastic,hands me the extra key and we start signing all the paperwork.

After I had signed about 12 documents she puts the purchase order in front of me and it is approx $700 more than our agreed upon price!

I told her we have a problem..

She called the manager over and he said that "sales people are not the numbers guys and that they miscalculated the sales tax".

I told him that I was crystal clear as to my out of state sales tax rate.

I even had it in writing on a cheat sheet that I showed the salesman .Not to mention the fact that they were over more than the alleged additional sales tax amount. They were also over by the amount of doc fees and title fees.

I shared with him that I was not going to pay the extra $700. I went on to say that I was going to walk if they did not honor the agreed upon price..

The GM said that is the best he can do. He can't lose money on this car.

I very politely thanked him for his time,shook his hand and walked out the door..

I am still in shock. In all my years of buying cars/boats etc... never have I had this happen.

At this point in time I am not going to disclose the dealers name as I am hopeful that they will come to their senses and call me to honor the deal..

The search continues:(

Scott

That SUCKS!!! Not sure where you live, buy if not too far away call the Sales Manager at Dick Parker Ford, Havelock, NC his name is John Stascuoiski (Ski) I have purchased many vehicles from him, I don't deal with any of the sales people, I go direct to the Sale Manager. I stop by there all the time and he has a 2011 on the lot, it is almost just like my 2010. Great guy, phone 866-979-4495 www.dickparkerford.com. Hope this helps and good luck in your search.

Well I am still waiting for the phone to ring.

Being an optimist I really thought that there was a good chance that the dealer would call today and resolve this matter..

Most of my experiences with Ford dealerships have been excellent....

My father was a 42 year Ford employee so I have bought MANY fords over the years!!

In this particular instance..

I am not sure whether they screwed up the math or they were just trying to gouge another $700 out of me....

There is no other side to this story.

I was there for 2 1/2 hours and had an agreed upon "out the door" price.

They knew I was from Indiana and I told them on multiple occasions

(I am sure that they knew anyway)that the sales tax was 7%..

Anyway you want to slice it they should have honored the deal....

As a business owner myself I cannot imagine treating a customer that way...

My companies reputation is worth more tha $700...

I will be calling the owner when he returns from vacation to express my dissatisfaction!

Scott

That SUCKS!!! Not sure where you live, buy if not too far away call the Sales Manager at Dick Parker Ford, Havelock, NC his name is John Stascuoiski (Ski) I have purchased many vehicles from him, I don't deal with any of the sales people, I go direct to the Sale Manager. I stop by there all the time and he has a 2011 on the lot, it is almost just like my 2010. Great guy, phone 866-979-4495 www.dickparkerford.com. Hope this helps and good luck in your search.

Thanks!

I have a couple of other leads to follow up on.

I will save the contact info

Scott

Thanks!

I have a couple of other leads to follow up on.

I will save the contact info

Scott

Stick to your guns I would think the owner will call you if he had any sense in not selling a car over $700 . Good luck on your search.

You never mention the price, which is ok, but understand a couple of things:

At MSRP, there is about $ 5000 profit in the deal for the dealership. ( verify @ Consumer Reports )

And they make something on each option..

And this is the big one.....................................you can order a 2012 TODAY !!!................................If you have your money back, keep on walking..

They will call you don't be desperate. They are the one who needs the money. I went through about 6 or 7 dealerships just to get mine at MSRP. Don't buy the bullshit that they miscalculated. THEY DO NOT MISCALCULATE. They act stupid but they are not stupid, they pretend to be to get more money of you. Everyone should read this article before going to any car dealerships:

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/scams.htm

They will call you don't be desperate. They are the one who needs the money. I went through about 6 or 7 dealerships just to get mine at MSRP. Don't buy the bullshit that they miscalculated. THEY DO NOT MISCALCULATE. They act stupid but they are not stupid, they pretend to be to get more money of you. Everyone should read this article before going to any car dealerships:

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/scams.htm

Good read. Sounds like they have a LieNance manager. What should we call the scam they tried on the OP? The old sales tax and fees scam... :redcard:

Looking at from a dealers perspective ..... if it was a honest mistake ..... and they had gone that far .... they should have eaten the difference and moved on. A $700 mistake happens .... and its not enough to say no to a deal .. even if your loosing money on the deal. Seeing that they made a mistake ... they would have more than made it up in good will and customer pr by telling the customer it was are mistake and we will eat it instead of backing out of the deal. I m not privey to the real numbers but thats what our store would have done.

Scott if you dont get the car or want help ... give me a jingle. I have located a lot of Shelbys for your fellow forum members all over the US

Looking at from a dealers perspective ..... if it was a honest mistake ..... and they had gone that far .... they should have eaten the difference and moved on. A $700 mistake happens .... and its not enough to say no to a deal .. even if your loosing money on the deal. Seeing that they made a mistake ... they would have more than made it up in good will and customer pr by telling the customer it was are mistake and we will eat it instead of backing out of the deal. I m not privey to the real numbers but thats what our store would have done.

Scott if you dont get the car or want help ... give me a jingle. I have located a lot of Shelbys for your fellow forum members all over the US

This guy knows what he's talking about, great person to deal with, call Don he will help you. By the way Don this is Joe the person who took the red shelby off your showroom

and so far with 400 miles on it and lovin it.

Car dealers can be real scum bags, but not all of them are. I bought my '11SVT verte from a dealer in Louisiana after finding the car I wanted on line. I was somewhat concerned about driving 3 hours to buy the car because I worried that they'd think they had some additional leverage considering I'd driven all that way to purchase the car. Prior to traveling to the dealership, I'd clearly told them what I'd pay (which by the way was well below MSRP). I spoke to their Internet sales manager and he agreed to sell the car to me for my 'out the door' price offer. I was fully prepared to walk away from the deal and had prepared myself for the necessity of having to do that, but was pleasantly surprised that after test driving the car that we were able to close the deal without any haggling on their part. The only negotiation I had to undertake was getting them to remove the car dealership sticker they'd put on the rear of the car. They said that their policy was that it had to be on the car when it rolled off the lot, but that I could remove it later, which I could've but didn't want to have to fool with. After just a couple minutes of me reminding them that I was taking the car back to Alabama though they gave in. Great experience all the way around.

There are good dealers out there, just keep looking. Good luck!

Bought mine from Michael Morris in Perry, GA. We worked out the price over the phone in about 15 seconds. He ordered the car just the way I wanted it. The price when I picked it up was the same price we worked out over the phone. Give him a call. Dealership is now called David Ragan Ford.

Walk and don't look back. But if they call you, I agree with the guy above: add another 100 for the waist of gas and time they are causing you. Ridiculous. They do this because they plan on you being fully "invested" in the deal emotionally after sitting there for 2.5 hours.

Screw them. Find your car else where. Fully negotiate the price on the phone, with a detailed listing of every cost by the dealer, including any documentation fees. Have them scan and attach a copy of the sales document to you, including EVERY cost, before you hit the road. Print it and have it in hand. Good luck.

YUP, my wife and I had a similar situation a couple months ago. I bought her a new GMC Acadia and traded in her Acura MDX. GMC had a special deal that offered $1000 extra cash back for trading in an Acura for a GMC. We made all the negotiations with that special deal as being part of it. We got the Acadia for about $100 over invoice and the $1000 actually brought it below invoice. After we signed most of the papers, they realized that the Acura cash deal expired and they had made a $1000 mistake. They never even mentioned it to us. They just ate the $1000 and when I looked over the buyers invoice, I noticed there was strange wording next to a $1000 deduction in the cost. I asked about it and they explained that they messed up, but still gave me the $1000.

Because of that $1000 they earned a customer for life and herds of priceless good feedback and reviews to anyone that will listen. That was at Burns GMC / Pontic in Marlton NJ. They were great and continue to be even months after the purchase.

Had they tried to reverse the deal I would have walked and almost guaranteed I'd have not even thought about buying from them.

Oh and how could I forget....

I bought my GT500 from Holman Ford in Maple Shade, NJ. I walked in and told them what I wanted to pay, they came back with a counter offer, I countered with the same price that I walked in with and a reassurance that this would be the easiest sale of the year and they eventually agreed to take my deal. No shenanigans, no BS, no secrets or add ons. We signed the deal and as I was driving it out of the showroom, the salesman peaked into the car and said "Bill, you were right, this was the easiest quickest sale I've ever had, thank you." I'll remember that when I'm ready for a new truck in a year or two.

If Ford sold something that was in the same ballpark size and price wise as the Acadia, I would have gladly bought my wife's car from the same guy.

LOL, mine had a $60k price tag on the window with the ADM on it when I bought it. I pretended it didn't even exist. As a matter of fact, the salesman was so embarrassed by it, he removed it as soon as I agreed to buy the car and thew it in the trash. I thought about grabbing it, but I didn't want to get him trouble in case he was told to get rid of it.

Ahhh, keep looking bro. They're the one's losing out, not you. Contrary to popular belief there are still plenty of 11's sitting on dealer lots and with 12's hitting the ground now, the 11's are only going to drop. If the guy calls you back, I'd make him drop another $100 just for the gas he made you waste driving back and forth for a measly $700... :hysterical:

+1

I certainly wouldn't go back for the original agreed upon out-the-door price, and if at all possible would drive back up there in my new GT500 and tell them that I appreciated their "dishonesty" in that I got a better deal elsewhere. :peelout:

Archived