TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Garage door opener

davegt500

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone have pictures or a description as to how to get to this harness that is already installed? I just don't want to go tearing into things and am really lost, unless I've missed something in this thread.

I don't have any pictures sorry. The description my dealership gave me was the harness that the visor plugs into was tucked way back into the headliner. I assume they meant tucked way up behind the map lights; since I have a convertible. The technician really had to look for it, because he missed the harness the first time I took the car in. The service rep. told me the technician stumbled upon the harness while searching and digging for a power source up by the map lights and rear view mirror to plug the harness in that I had ordered. Hope this helps. As far as 2010 or 2007 MY having this harness, my suggestion would be have your parts dept. compare a 2011-12 Shelby vin to your vin, and have them compare diagrams or parts list. From my limited research when I was installing the visor my parts dept. was always referring to the harness with the description, 2010-2012 in the title. From that I would guess the 10 is the same as the 11 & 12, but I don't have a clue about the 07. Good Luck

I don't have any pictures sorry. The description my dealership gave me was the harness that the visor plugs into was tucked way back into the headliner. I assume they meant tucked way up behind the map lights; since I have a convertible. The technician really had to look for it, because he missed the harness the first time I took the car in. The service rep. told me the technician stumbled upon the harness while searching and digging for a power source up by the map lights and rear view mirror to plug the harness in that I had ordered. Hope this helps. As far as 2010 or 2007 MY having this harness, my suggestion would be have your parts dept. compare a 2011-12 Shelby vin to your vin, and have them compare diagrams or parts list. From my limited research when I was installing the visor my parts dept. was always referring to the harness with the description, 2010-2012 in the title. From that I would guess the 10 is the same as the 11 & 12, but I don't have a clue about the 07. Good Luck

What was the first year homelink was offered as an option in the visors?

good morning

This link is for an install someone did on an audi

has pics and is a what I consider a good alternative

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec169.shtml

Here is atotally different idea --- more on the commercial/industrial side of

access control. Use your cell phone to control the door with blue tooth

http://emxinc.com/pdf-access-controls/blueguard_FE_data_sheet.pdf

Frank A.

I have a 2011 coupe so I'll have to figure out how the map lights area comes down and look for the harness.

• 3 weeks later...

It would be nice to see picture of the visor harness, and also have a good idea where it is located at first. Mine is a vert as well...

For my other 2 cars (Volkswagen), I swap the OEM regular mirror for the Gentex mirror, with homelink integrated. With both, I took the power from the 12v cigarette lighter since taken from any other place like the maplight, it could send a wrong signal to the car's computer for the additional power requirement. The 12v cigarette lighter plug is not regulate by the computer, the way the other accessories are. I was thinking doing the same in my Shelby, but....

the OEM mirror in my 2011 Shelby has the compass module in it....The reading display for the compass is in the head unit radio, but the module is located in the mirror....

• 1 year later...

I bring back this old thread, as I just ordered and received both 2012 sun visors, including they driver's one with home link. Anybody has performed anymore installation on their car ? Any tip/advice would be appreciated before I start removing the trim along my windshield.

Ok, now I can answer all your question about the retrofit, since I did it sucessfully on my 2011 Vert.

I ordered both Sunvisors at Levittown Ford Super Center: http://www.partswebs...ordsupercenter/

My local dealer was asking me 510$ Can for both sunvisors including tax, a steal ! They both cost me 366$ US including shipping and duty/tax to Canada....

You only need to order those two parts (for the Vert), no additionnal harness required:

BR3Z7604105DA

BR3Z7604104AA

Then, you'll need to remove both original sunvisors, and their bracket (hook), and then, just pull on the top trim to remove it, including the top reading lamp. Once unclip, just unplug the current harness and move away for a while. Here's what you'll see:

Right side:

p1000153s.jpg

Left side:

p1000154x.jpg

If you look closeley, the required harness required to power both sunvisors, is surrounding the wire, using tape. Just remove the tape and you'll find both harness required for the sunvisors. On the passenger's side, you may need to remove the A pillar trim to access the whole harness.

Driver's side harness, under this foam:

p1000155n.jpg

Passenger's side harness, under this tape:

p1000156wg.jpg

Passenger's side A pillar view:

p1000157r.jpg

p1000158n.jpg

Driver's side harness: just cut the surrounding tape, and have the harness pass through the hole:

p1000161m.jpg

p1000162p.jpg

Screw the new sunvisors back in place only on one side, and reclip the top trim in place, then replace/reclip the A pillar passenger side trim, screw back the sunvisors holder and you're done:

p1000163i.jpg

+1 on this idea.

Talked to my dealer about the visor thing and priced out the rearview mirror option as well. Close to the same price (installed). Not done anything yet though...

I don't know what options are available in newer models but in the '08 time frame the option was to replace the rear view mirror. The mirror is a Gentex (who basically makes all of them for everyone, including the GM goofy thing). You can get any or all of self-dimming plus compass, temperature and HomeLink (garage door opener) . The kit is available from Ford dealers, but Gentex sells them as well. I bought one for the Mustang from Ford. For my Dodge truck I bought it from Gentex's retail distributor and I liked the Gentex wiring harness and connection better. The spring clip on the Mustang vibrated a lot - I had to have it replaced. The Dodge version attached with a hex set screw much more rigid and no vibration.

Note that the self-dimming mirror is worth it alone! I can't figure out why the cars don't come with them. My wife's 99 Jeep came with all that stuff (self-dimming, compass, temp and garage openers). That stuff should be standard now. Kind of like a steering wheel smile.gif.

By the way, I hope that there's dealer charging 2 hours of labor to install both '12 visors ? Honestly and I'm everything but a mechanic, it took me 30 minutes and it would have been faster but I wasn't sure if both harness/plugs would really be there under the plastic trim/reading lamp.

Archived