TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby To Attend the NY Auto Show

RogerS

I'm going this coming Friday (22nd).

I'm going up the following Friday (29th). I plan on taking a train into Penn Station and walking the 4 or 5 blocks to the show.

PM me your experience and let me know how it went, and what I need to bring with me.

Z-man

Shelby American is all set up and ready to go for this years NY auto show.

Thanks in advance to all members that have volunteered to help out, if you did not receive my email on the up dates about the show please contact me and I will fill you in.

Check out the unveiling of the GTS today. Not the greatest shot but the best I could do with my phone and all the excitement. More to come...

IMG00540-20110421-1406.jpg

IMG00540-20110421-1406.jpg

No new pics as mine seem to be the same as everyone elses. John, Gary and Sam are about the most down to earth people you could meet. They really take the time to get to know you and talking Shelbys with the president and VP of SAI was an incredible experience. Oh, and worked with ShelbyPT and GT50040th at the "booth" which was great as well. Looonngg day... 12 hours at the show, taxi ride ( whole other story), train ride then a 4 hour drive home. All in all it was a fantastic day!

Oh and it looks like a couple of GTSs will be coming to the stable soon as I had already planned on one once it was revealed. John L talked the Mrs into one of her own so I guess it's time to start looking into a bigger garage... The hood is functional and really sets the frond end apart.

No new pics as mine seem to be the same as everyone elses. John, Gary and Sam are about the most down to earth people you could meet. They really take the time to get to know you and talking Shelbys with the president and VP of SAI was an incredible experience. Oh, and worked with ShelbyPT and GT50040th at the "booth" which was great as well. Looonngg day... 12 hours at the show, taxi ride ( whole other story), train ride then a 4 hour drive home. All in all it was a fantastic day!

Oh and it looks like a couple of GTSs will be coming to the stable soon as I had already planned on one once it was revealed. John L talked the Mrs into one of her own so I guess it's time to start looking into a bigger garage... The hood is functional and really sets the frond end apart.

It really is a great experience being with Gary, John and Sam as well as the rest of the team at the NY Auto Show. The weekend proved to be exciting as we all joined together to "run the booth". I look forward to meeting everyone who plans to attend next weekend, when I return to my post along side that awesome red GT350 convertible. I am not much of a red car person, but this car is over the top with options and style. Something I have to add to the stable in the near future. john linda gary.JPG

john linda gary.JPG

It really is a great experience being with Gary, John and Sam as well as the rest of the team at the NY Auto Show. The weekend proved to be exciting as we all joined together to "run the booth". I look forward to meeting everyone who plans to attend next weekend, when I return to my post along side that awesome red GT350 convertible. I am not much of a red car person, but this car is over the top with options and style. Something I have to add to the stable in the near future. post-13158-0-40672300-1303758905_thumb.jpg

Nice pic... They are great guys! I worked the booth yesterday and will again today.

You're gonna have to arm wrestle me for that GT350... I fell in love yesterday! :finger:

It was extremely enjoyable watching the smiles when folks would sit in the cars for pics. Not one person had to say cheese! These were giddy, giggly smiles. Ones that last a lifetime... Made me feel very fortunate to be an owner of one.

It makes you very proud to be associated with SAI.

JG

:salute:

Thank you to all volunteers sounds like everyone had a great time helping out.

Looking forward to Ponies in the Poconos next week. Gary Patterson, Sam Trout and the Shelby trailer will be there, but this time we’ll get to test drive them :shift:

For more info check out the Sticky…

Thank you to all volunteers sounds like everyone had a great time helping out.

Looking forward to Ponies in the Poconos next week. Gary Patterson, Sam Trout and the Shelby trailer will be there, but this time we’ll get to test drive them :shift:

For more info check out the Sticky…

Hope your week was not so stressful in planning for the Poconos. If there is anything you need me to do to help, just let me know. Did you leave the extra flyers at Javits? I took some, but need more. If not I can print up what I need to pass the word.

Had a great time, see you soon !!

:-)

Linda

This post is a couple days late, but I wanted to share my experience of working at the Shelby American booth on last Friday. I live in the Philadelphia area, and there was no way I was going to drive into Manhattan during rush hour, so I took the train up instead. I thought I had allowed myself plenty of time, but I had based my timetable on a previous trip to NYC taken on a Saturday, Friday morning moved much slower than I expected. I made the train with a few minutes to spare, but the day was already off to a hectic beginning than I anticipated.

Arriving in NY an hour and forty-five minutes later, I walked from Penn Station to Jacob Javits Center…passing a few interesting sights along the way. When I got to Jacob Javits, I called Gary Patterson on his cell phone, and he came out to get me. My day of being one of ‘the Team’ had now officially begun. Walking to the booth, Gary started to brief me on the days activities and my responsibilities. Just as important as welcoming people to the booth and answering their questions, was keeping an eye on the cars and protecting them from any damage (unintentional or otherwise).

As we rounded a corner, I got my first glimpse of the Shelby Booth…the new GTS was the first car I saw; it looks great. The silver/black combination is really sharp. Behind the GTS I could see the white/blue GT350 coupe. In the middle of the booth was the blue/white 800hp Super Snake….it’s a freakin’ MONSTER!!!! Just looking at the car is intimidating. Finishing off the booth was a 625 hp, red/white, GT350 convertible. Wow!

It was funny to note that the Shelby display was directly next to the Zero Emissions Vehicles display. I guess we kind of balanced out each other in terms of green house gasses and carbon footprints.

Arriving at the booth, Gary introduced me to John Luft, Sam Trout, and the other Team Shelby volunteers working the booth. Sam actually remembered me from when we meet previously at SAAC-34, outside of Pittsburgh. Sam must meet hundreds, if not thousands, of people while doing his job, and the fact that he remembered me was quite impressive. Sam handed me a Shelby American GT350 dress shirt, and told me to get changed, and then get ready to work!

After changing into my official Team attire, I posed for a few obligatory photos with Gary and John (these will make the scrap book for sure). As we wrapped up the photos, the crowd began to arrive. The traffic in the booth came in waves, which gave us a chance to buff away a multitude of fingerprints, and do a little bench racing as we prepared for the next group of potential customers, tire kickers, and those just curious and drawn in by the lure of the cars.

We all seemed drawn to become the ‘caretakers’ of different cars for the day. I was drawn to the Super Snake, but kept looking at the GT350 convertible out of the corner of my eye. The Kona Blue of the Super Snake glowed under the lights, but also showed every eager smudge and excited fingerprint of anyone who dared come close enough to touch it. Microfiber buffing rag in hand, I was all too happy to wipe away the ‘blemishes’ and let the car shine.

My absolute favorite thing to do in the booth was to wait until a crowd had gathered around the Super Snake, and wait until someone would ask if I could open the hood (if no one asked, I would ask if anyone wanted to see the engine). When I lifted the hood to expose the massive and fully polished super-charger, you could actually hear grown men gasp in surprise and excitement. Women would swoon and become weak in the knees. Children would either freeze in terror, or run to the safety of their parents. It was great, and I did it every chance I had throughout the day.

My second favorite thing to do was to share my love of Shelby’s with others at the show, and talk with those people who came to visit the booth. Some folk’s were very well educated on what they were looking at, and others….not so much. Some asked very pointed and specific questions, and others….not so much. Here are some of the comments/questions I overheard:

•“I’m so glad the Muscle Cars are back….this is great!”

•“Why would anyone buy that ‘import stuff’ when we can build this in America?”

•“Did I hear you right? How many HP does that Super Snake have?”

•“Did I hear you right? The GTS only costs how much? I never thought I could afford a Shelby!”

•“I can’t buy this car and live in NYC. If I park it anywhere, by the time I get back it will either be stolen, stripped for parts, vandalized, towed, tagged by the local gang, or otherwise violated in some way.”

•“What’s this boost gage for?” “That’s for the super charger.” “Oh, okay. So where is the button I push to make it boost?” “It’s not like a nitrous system, the supercharger is always there…just put your foot down and it will do the rest.”

•“How many cubic feet of storage space does the trunk have?”

•“To own a car like this you need to have allot of self control…or allot of spare money for speeding tickets.”

•“Is the owner of the company here? I have some design ideas I would like to discuss.” (This was from a guy who looked like he must have snuck in the back door of the show, and whose eyeballs literally pointed in two different directions at the same time….freaky dude, but he was still given our attention and treated respectfully.)

•“The only other car at the show with 800hp is the Bugatti Veyron…and it costs $1.5 million!!!”

•Wife to husband….”Honey, I said I liked the Challenger upstairs, but this GTS is much nicer. We need to buy one of these instead!”

•“We need to check everyone’s Facebook picture tomorrow morning. Tonight everyone will be changing it and uploading their new photo with them in front of the Super Snake.”

•“This car is a widowmaker….I’d kill myself in it, and I’ll be dammed if I’m going to let my wife enjoy spending all my money when I’m gone!”

•“GOD BLESS CARROLL SHELBY!!!!!!”

While working in the booth I had one father and son come back three times to keep looking at the cars and ask questions. I had one other guy come back twice. The second time he came back he ditched his wife at the Prius display to go look at the ‘real’ cars. I don’t know if either of these guys are serious buyers, but you never can tell.

At about 4:00 in the afternoon, I told Gary I wanted to take some time and see the rest of the show. My train home was at 8:00, and I had to grab some dinner, so I figured I would be back around 7:00 to say goodbye and be on my way. I walked the show for a while, saw some neat stuff, but ended up back at the Shelby booth within an hour…there was just nothing else at the show that held my interest, and no place else I wanted to be except with the Shelby Team and the cars. I ended up leaving the booth around 7:30, walking quickly back to Penn Station, and looking for something to eat at the station itself. There was a take-out sushi stand, but I didn’t feel like tempting fate or playing Russian roulette with my stomach, so I settled for the safer alternative of a simple deli sandwich.

I ended up getting home about 10:45, as our train was delayed at one point because we apparently ran over something on the tracks pulling out of one of the stations.

I had a great day, and it flew by. My feet were killing me, but I would have gone back up and done it all again the next day. I probably would have had to spray paint my sneakers black to fit in with the dress code (‘cause my feet weren’t going back into my cowboy boots again), but I would have done it.

I would like to thank everyone who made my participation in this event possible, especially, Gary, John, Sam, and the other Team Shelby members I met on Friday. If you are starting a list for the 2012 NY Auto Show, please sign me up now. I have already talked to Mrs. Z about possibly making it an overnight trip (without the kids) if the opportunity presents itself next year.

Z-man

Now for some pictures...

DSC_0004.jpg

Bet you this guy doesn't get too many fares.

DSC_0006.jpg

Four post lift for sale cheap...only a little rust and a few frayed cables

DSC_0024.jpg

I have to admit, Bumble Bee was pretty cool!

DSC_0038.jpg

The "other" 800hp car at the show.

DSC_0048.jpg

No comment!!!!

DSC_0078.jpg

Notice the Gulf Racing color scheme.

DSC_0095.jpg

Is this the shape of things to come?

DSC_0122.jpg

How do make it "Boost"?

DSC_0160.jpg

The heart of the Beast!!!

DSC_0153.jpg

Look what the GT350 was hiding (625hp).

DSC_0158.jpg

EVERYONE lends a hand to keep the cars looking good.

More pictures here http://s438.photobucket.com/albums/qq106/z-man1234/NY%20Auto%20Show%202011/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ16

Hey Z-man

Love the write-up, it tells the story as if we were standing there laughing at the expressions of people faces as we said "and the blue one has 800 h.p.'

Glad to hear you made it home safe.

I can't wait until next year! Hope you can convince Mrs. Z to join in the fun.

Catch you at the next event.

~ Linda ~ ;-)

I agree... great write-up from the Z-man. I worked the last two days, and other than my feet killing me,

it was a special time to get to know the cars and people who biuld them quite well. And that was just

two shifts; John, Gary, Sam, and Manny worked many more days for 12 hours straight. So although

some of us may disagree with their decisions at times, no one can argue that they don't care. I just

loved talking to folk about the cars, and then pointing over to the Prez and VP with the comment: "and

if you really like these cars, you can go thank them personally."

The pic of John Luft also shows one of the additional souvenirs I took home from the show: his badge.

John couldn't be there Sunday, and I didn't have my own, so he gave me his to use. We joked about

being SA Prez for a day, but as hard as he was working I'm not sure I would want to keep up.

Best part was just sharing the many stories with the SA guys. One of the funniest was about Sam talking

to one stereotypical New Yorker for over a half-hour about the Shelbys before the guy admitted he never

drove a car before.

As for Gary, we had a long runnning discussion about which one of his many cars he would have to give

up in order to have his personal GT-350 once he didn't have the company car (the white one at the show)

available anymore. Apparently he doesn't like to park his cars outside, and his Code Red (too fast), SS

(too unique), ZR1 (too interesting), Wife's Z06 (her commute car), truck (something has to haul the rest), and

69 Mach1 CJ (for obvious reasons) are too hard to give up. After many crocodile tears, I gave it my best shot.

First I said, "Well choose the one you drive the least." Nope, he puts several thousand miles on each

every year except the 69 Mach1 (for obvious reasons). So I asked about the Z06. He admitted she likes

the GT-350, but she puts too many miles on the car. Looking over at the many EV cars next to the Shelby

area at the show, I said: "Then it's easy, buy the GT-350 and one of those electric vehicles. Park it outside

and your neighbors will think you are doing your part to save the planet (tongue-in-cheek)."

"Nope," he says, "they will just think I'm dead." I gave up after that.

Elsewhere in the show, I did go check out the Boss 302... looks nicer in person. But what I liked better and was

largely ignored by the crowd were the engine displays. I just got to get that 5.0 in my SGT.

-Tom

Archived