TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Center Gauges for the SGT

I just completed installing the Shelby center dash gauges. My car is NON-supercharged. I'm getting a 40-75 oil pressure reading, a 140 degree oil temp reading, and my fuel pressure gauge needle moves then goes all the way to max. Lights all work great. I was curious as to what readings other Team Shelby members were getting from their gauges. I'm thinking the fuel pressure gauge is not working correctly but I've checked and all connections seem to be good. Any thoughts, suggestions ???? Larry

I just completed installing the Shelby center dash gauges. My car is NON-supercharged. I'm getting a 40-75 oil pressure reading, a 140 degree oil temp reading, and my fuel pressure gauge needle moves then goes all the way to max. Lights all work great. I was curious as to what readings other Team Shelby members were getting from their gauges. I'm thinking the fuel pressure gauge is not working correctly but I've checked and all connections seem to be good. Any thoughts, suggestions ???? Larry

Hey Larry!

Your readings sound right! Even though I'm supercharged, it's similar: Oil pressure varies with engine rpm - at idle around 30lbs, under acceleration and higher rpm's around 75lbs. Bearing in mind that I upgraded to the dual-fuel pump and I believe this helps hold mine somewhat steadier, but still, fuel pressure jumps ALL over, generally staying withing a 20-80 lb range. (at shutdown, the needle holds the last pressure reading) Because I'm supercharged, I have the boost gauge instead of oil temp, but that reading sounds reasonable to me.

Hope that helps!

Sam

Just got my Shelby gauges installed at JDM Engineering along with my other mods. Will be picking the car up Friday afternoon. I will post up what my readings are. And I agree, I've seen some videos of the gauges on youtube on N/A cars. Sounds about right.

My fuel pressure ranges from 40-75 depending on the amount of throttle (obviously). My Oil temp seems to jump from 140 to 180ish when I'm driving the car more aggressively and then drops to around 150 when I'm just cruising. I like the way they light up, but kind of wish they came with a blue led instead of the whitish yellow. But I love em'!

My fuel pressure ranges from 40-75 depending on the amount of throttle (obviously). My Oil temp seems to jump from 140 to 180ish when I'm driving the car more aggressively and then drops to around 150 when I'm just cruising. I like the way they light up, but kind of wish they came with a blue led instead of the whitish yellow. But I love em'!

Ditto with mine, and they were installed at SA as part of the Calif. package.

-Tom

I'm still having problem with the Fuel Pressure Gauge. The needle moves immediately to the max reading and stays there. When I shut off the car the needle returns to zero. I've re-checked the wiring and connections all are ok. Any ideas or suggestions ? I did have very slight fuel leak at the plug and where the sensor screws into the fuel block. I re-tightened and added a very small amount of high temp fuel resistant sealant which worked well. The Shelby gauge set really looks nice and I've had several comments from Shelby and Mustang owners. Larry

I'm still having problem with the Fuel Pressure Gauge. The needle moves immediately to the max reading and stays there. When I shut off the car the needle returns to zero. I've re-checked the wiring and connections all are ok. Any ideas or suggestions ? I did have very slight fuel leak at the plug and where the sensor screws into the fuel block. I re-tightened and added a very small amount of high temp fuel resistant sealant which worked well. The Shelby gauge set really looks nice and I've had several comments from Shelby and Mustang owners. Larry

Go back and check your wiring one more time, (include the "at the gauge" connections in the pod) and also remove and reattach the ground connection just to be sure you're getting a good ground. Also, when was the last time you changed your fuel filter? I change mine every 10k miles - may not be related but couldn't hurt. If all checks out, my next move would be to remove the fuel pressure sensor and look for any crud that might be causing issues. Last resort, call SPP - you may have a bad sensor or gauge.

Sam

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

installed my own set last spring and my fuel and oil seem fine. my temp barley moves. if i drive for awhile on the highway and its a good 98 degree florida day...it might creep just passed the first 140 mark.

9 out of 10 days, it doesnt move, like it doesnt even work.

either im cooling very well.. or the gauge is reading low. i am not sure.

I agree with Sam on his readings... the one I worry about is the temperature, my stock gauge runs about 12:00 seems a little hot for my liking.

its called an idiot gauge for a reason. it really is stupid. as long as its getting within a certain range reading it wont move. keep in mind ford did this so people wont come in saying "well my buddies car reads lower!"

The sending unit could be bad. Mine does the same thing, goes to MAX and stays there and then as the car warms i think, it starts boucing around. sometimes it just reads zero. When I removed the guages from the GO Sgt, the O-ring on the fuel adapter was broke. I purchased a new one, i am in the process of installing the guages on the Hertz right now.

FYI, the fuel pressure gauge going to max position is an indication of an open circuit. Most likley you have 3 terminals on the gauge itself. (a) 12 vdc power (B) ground © sense line.

The sense line when left open will cause the guage to read max value when other connections (a&B) are connected. If you check the gauge and sending unit connections and these appear to have a good connection then I would removed the wire treminal from the sending unit and the wire terminal from the gauge and connect an ohm meter to each end. I'll almost bet you have an open in your wire somewhere and could very well be right at your terminal at the gauge or sending unit. If the sense line reads less than .3 ohms or there abouts then the wire is good and most likley the sending unit is defective. The gauge is doing what it is designed to do when it has power applied and an open sense line and that is to read max value. Hate to see you go through this and wish you the best.

Clear as mud. Hope this helps.

Take Care,

-Billy

FYI, the fuel pressure gauge going to max position is an indication of an open circuit. Most likley you have 3 terminals on the gauge itself. (a) 12 vdc power (B) ground © sense line.

The sense line when left open will cause the guage to read max value when other connections (a&B) are connected. If you check the gauge and sending unit connections and these appear to have a good connection then I would removed the wire treminal from the sending unit and the wire terminal from the gauge and connect an ohm meter to each end. I'll almost bet you have an open in your wire somewhere and could very well be right at your terminal at the gauge or sending unit. If the sense line reads less than .3 ohms or there abouts then the wire is good and most likley the sending unit is defective. The gauge is doing what it is designed to do when it has power applied and an open sense line and that is to read max value. Hate to see you go through this and wish you the best.

Take Care,

-Billy

Thanks a lot, I will be working on this weekend and will post the results. regards, Larry

Take Care,

-Billy

You have a valid point, i will check and see. i followed the instructions to a T...so the instructions may be wrong!

Archived