TEAM SHELBY FORUM

E-force intake tube options along with plated tanks

Since several of you are running the E-force on your Shelby GT's, thought I would post up a couple pics of a new intake tube option. I was never happy with the Edelbrock provided silicone tube, so after a lengthy search and multiple part returns, I finally came across this option from Spectre. They make an entire line of modular aluminum intake elbow configurations in varied diameters and angles, but the one that works for the E-force is a 3.5in, 60 degree (Spectre p/n 9569) and is a perfect fit. You also need to get 2 silicone couplers (ordered mine siliconeintakes.com) and the tube is available from places like Jegs or Summit.

spe-9569_w.jpg

I also decided to make the investment and have some items chrome plated this winter including the coolant tank, PS tank, t-stat housing (cleaned up with all the surfaces and lettering ground down smooth), intake tube, and brake reservoir cover. Now I am ready for some shows this spring! But I also need to get in for an updated dyno tune as I have a FRPP/Steeda CAI awaiting install.

Enginebay2.jpgEnginebay1.jpg

Enginebay3.jpg

Since several of you are running the E-force on your Shelby GT's, thought I would post up a couple pics of a new intake tube option. I was never happy with the Edelbrock provided silicone tube, so after a lengthy search and multiple part returns, I finally came across this option from Spectre. They make an entire line of modular aluminum intake elbow configurations in varied diameters and angles, but the one that works for the E-force is a 3.5in, 60 degree (Spectre p/n 9569) and is a perfect fit. You also need to get 2 silicone couplers (ordered mine siliconeintakes.com) and the tube is available from places like Jegs or Summit.

I also decided to make the investment and have some items chrome plated this winter including the coolant tank, PS tank, t-stat housing (cleaned up with all the surfaces and lettering ground down smooth), intake tube, and brake reservoir cover. Now I am ready for some shows this spring! But I also need to get in for an updated dyno tune as I have a FRPP/Steeda CAI awaiting install.

Very nice - hopefully the tube will still fit when you switch over to the CAI. When I put on the FRPP CAI, I had to do some adjustments and the Edelbrock silicone tube was very forgiving. (Be advised, you may have to get a slightly shorter filter element for the FRPP CAI, the one that came with the SGT was a tad to long and created a hood clearance issue between the hood and the inner fender)

A couple of things in your engine bay are on my "to do" list. I'd love it if Edelbrock offered a billet intercooler tank, but I'll stick with the black plastic for now! Is the billet cap you have on yours the same as the radiator expansion tank? I need to pick up the Moroso billet radiator expansion tank - it looks a heck-of-a-lot better than the stock "urine sample" tank!

Are you going to add the V6/Bullitt strut tower brace? It fits and really sets off the engine bay.

Sam

Very nice - hopefully the tube will still fit when you switch over to the CAI. When I put on the FRPP CAI, I had to do some adjustments and the Edelbrock silicone tube was very forgiving. (Be advised, you may have to get a slightly shorter filter element for the FRPP CAI, the one that came with the SGT was a tad to long and created a hood clearance issue between the hood and the inner fender)

A couple of things in your engine bay are on my "to do" list. I'd love it if Edelbrock offered a billet intercooler tank, but I'll stick with the black plastic for now! Is the billet cap you have on yours the same as the radiator expansion tank? I need to pick up the Moroso billet radiator expansion tank - it looks a heck-of-a-lot better than the stock "urine sample" tank!

Are you going to add the V6/Bullitt strut tower brace? It fits and really sets off the engine bay.

Sam

Thanks for the heads up on the FRPP CAI. I planned to do some test fitting before heading off for the dyno tune update, but I could always use a hump coupler as that would be a little more forgiving. But hey, I already have acheived my power goals with the car, so I really don't need the CAI for more HP... just wanted to ditch the stock airbox.

I am with you on finding a fabricated intercooler tank, but not found anything yet and my last interaction with Edelbrock indicated they had no plans to make one. JPC just came out with one for the Saleen, but it is a bit different with the front fitting pointed towards the radiator instead of towards the motor. I asked them as well about making one for the E-force and was told no plans as of yet.

Saleen tank

And yes, I just odered a second Shelby rad cap for the intercooler tank so they would match up. No plans yet for adding the STB.

Do you have any pics of your engine compartment as I would really like to how things look with the STB and FRPP CAI?

Last year's pic, but not much has changed:

med_gallery_13043_1123_3735.jpg

You are probably going to get a bump in HP/TQ numbers with the CAI, depending on how you tune - it really opens things up! (460+HP/420+TQ on mine with VMP Dyno tuning versus 420HP/400TQ with stock airbox and Edelbrock tune)

As for the CAI fitment - I had purchased a couple of replacement filters a couple of years ago from Justin at VMP and never really compared them to the one that came on the FRPP unit. Lucky for me, when I installed the supercharger and the CAI, the hood had a nice bulge over the filter because it was wedged between the hood and inner fender. On a whim, I compared the two filters and the ones from Justin were about an inch shorter, just enough to clear the fender and with a bit of trimming of the silicone tube, the problem was resolved.

Sam

You are probably going to get a bump in HP/TQ numbers with the CAI, depending on how you tune - it really opens things up! (460+HP/420+TQ on mine with VMP Dyno tuning versus 420HP/400TQ with stock airbox and Edelbrock tune)

I am already custom tuned and at 455RWHP/433RWTQ as it sits right now and really don't want to push it any higher. So worse case, I just need some changes with the tune for the CAI and more than likely "de-tune" it a bit as anything north of 460 on a stock bottom end is pushing it.

I am already custom tuned and at 455RWHP/433RWTQ as it sits right now and really don't want to push it any higher. So worse case, I just need some changes with the tune for the CAI and more than likely "de-tune" it a bit as anything north of 460 on a stock bottom end is pushing it.

Good numbers on a stock airbox! Depending upon what calculation you use for drive-train loss, you may already be pushing very close to 500 hp at the crank. I was using 500 crank HP as my personal limit, but had heard that the 4.6 can go upwards of 550 and a bit beyond before things start to go boom!

Sam

• 1 month later...

Good numbers on a stock airbox! Depending upon what calculation you use for drive-train loss, you may already be pushing very close to 500 hp at the crank. I was using 500 crank HP as my personal limit, but had heard that the 4.6 can go upwards of 550 and a bit beyond before things start to go boom!

Sam

Totally agree as I do not want to push things any further.

Sam,

Just checking that you have no issues with this strut brace & hood liner?

Thanks

Larry

Larry,

I probably should go ahead and either trim the liner, or remove it all together - I've noticed it's rubbing the brace just in the highest areas where the tube bends towards the strut. I'd be interested in hearing from folks that have removed theirs from the standpoint of noise or heat issues.

Sam

Larry,

I probably should go ahead and either trim the liner, or remove it all together - I've noticed it's rubbing the brace just in the highest areas where the tube bends towards the strut. I'd be interested in hearing from folks that have removed theirs from the standpoint of noise or heat issues.

Sam

I never intalled my liner after putting on the Foose hood and have noticed no issues as a result of not having one on the car. But then again, noise is irrelavent since I rarely drive my car with the top up :D

Archived