TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rubber Choices

I am about to buy new wheels and tires. I wondered if there are any horror stories any one wants to share. :rant2:

Any tires that I should stay away from? I was going to buy BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2, just heard they are

horrible in wet conditions.

I live in Chicago, but will store in the winter. Still weather changes ever 10 minutes here.

I can't ask you to tell me what to do, but I will ask if there is anything I shouldn't.

Thanks In advance.

Rich

I myself have just put on Toyo Proxes 4's, and the ride quality over the BGF's is so much better. They are much quieter and smoother. I have not had a chance to push them yet as the weather has not permitted, rainy here. I also had them siped which helps also. Plus the Toyo's are 300 tread wear rated over the BFG's which were 400. So they are a little softer anyway. But initial response for me appears to be quite good.

I went with the Nitto 555 extremes and really like them. They hook well at the drag strip and work well for the road course stuff I've done. I just ordered another set of rears since they seem to wear out faster than the fronts. :D I drive my car daily, rain, snow etc and they do well. As someone else posted when it is wet I don't push it hard.

I run Vredesteins that a certain member here knows a shop owner so I got a great deal on them.

They are great tires overall and do cut through water nicely due to the tread pattern but as has been mentioned no tires are going to keep you grounded in rain if you act up. I was going to go with Nitto Invos but the price of these was just a bargain.

IMG_0573-1.jpg

The KDWS is a get all seasons tire, but I wished it had a softer compound. Anyone swap out to the Goodyear Eagle F1 tires?

I had a set of these on my car for a couple of "seasons"... Did much better on the track (both the strip and road course), but because of the softer compound, they did wear out much faster than the original BFG tires... Which I had to put back on when the GY wore out last Fall shift.gif

They do very well on the street and would probably have lasted much longer if I didn't take it out to the track on a regular basis...

However, please head the 40* F temp warning and do NOT use these tires during the colder winter months... The softer compound will turn into hockey pucks when they get cold redcard.gif

In my opinion, the Goodyear Supercars aren't fit for our cars. I ran them for a few months, after I bought a set of SVT rims with the tires already mounted. Don't get me wrong, they're a huge improvement over the crap tires our cars came equipped with, but that's not saying a whole lot. For a conservatively street-driven car (point A to point B grocery getting, sunny day cruises with grammy in the front seat, etc), the F1's will get the job done I guess. I hear good things about the 'new' Supercar compound (released a year or so ago), but I have zero experience with it.

I almost hate the Nitto 555's as much as the Goodyears. I ran them for several months on my extremely modified 66 fastback and it felt like I was driving on ice wherever I went. The tires are hard as rock, with absolutely zero selling points that I can recall.

Tires quickly became the bane of my enthusiast existence the more I modified my Mustangs. After trying damn near everything available off the shelf, I gave up on the typical summer performance tires and decided to run DOT approved comp tires on the street 100% of the time. When you run a Toyo RA1 or R888 on the track, it becomes pretty difficult to enjoy driving on the street with anything else. It's about the least economical route to go, but it's the only way I can continue to justify renewing my tags every year.

Don't overlook Hankook Ventus V12 K110 Evos.

This is an amazing tire. Grips like a slick on the track and they are incredibly smooth and quiet. I run 275 40-18 on GT500 wheels front and rear.

My last set saw two Bash track events, SAAC 35, and 22K miles. Just replaced them. They could have gone another 3K miles.

I will be putting these in 19s on my 350.

Don't overlook Hankook Ventus V12 K110 Evos.

This is an amazing tire. Grips like a slick on the track and they are incredibly smooth and quiet. I run 275 40-18 on GT500 wheels front and rear.

My last set saw two Bash track events, SAAC 35, and 22K miles. Just replaced them. They could have gone another 3K miles.

I will be putting these in 19s on my 350.

What about perelli tires?

They have all season 20" rubber.

Rich also what diameter youre running will dictate choices in sizes as well...the 19 street tire size that fits like a glove with no mods on my car is in my signature...

Ken what tires are you running on the street?

Cheers!-Randy

I just picked up a set of Continental Extreme Contact DW's for the summer. I literally just had them installed this morning. 275/40/18 all the way around. I took them out for a spin. Great ride, very very quiet, even though they are not warn in, the grip is awesome. I still had almost an inch of clearance in the front. Has anyone tried running 295's?

Here they are on my new CS56's 18x9.5 machined for brakes...

post-25716-0-83394000-1300128909_thumb.jpg

Now I just need to get a set of brakes.

This tire on the right is my right front tire... with 38K+ miles on it. The wear was awful. I need the get the camber corrected.

post-25716-0-81069800-1300128920_thumb.jpg

The tire on the left is the new 275.

07SGT0517

post-25716-0-83394000-1300128909_thumb.jpg

post-25716-0-81069800-1300128920_thumb.jpg

In my opinion, the Goodyear Supercars aren't fit for our cars. I ran them for a few months, after I bought a set of SVT rims with the tires already mounted. Don't get me wrong, they're a huge improvement over the crap tires our cars came equipped with, but that's not saying a whole lot. For a conservatively street-driven car (point A to point B grocery getting, sunny day cruises with grammy in the front seat, etc), the F1's will get the job done I guess. I hear good things about the 'new' Supercar compound (released a year or so ago), but I have zero experience with it.

I almost hate the Nitto 555's as much as the Goodyears. I ran them for several months on my extremely modified 66 fastback and it felt like I was driving on ice wherever I went. The tires are hard as rock, with absolutely zero selling points that I can recall.

Tires quickly became the bane of my enthusiast existence the more I modified my Mustangs. After trying damn near everything available off the shelf, I gave up on the typical summer performance tires and decided to run DOT approved comp tires on the street 100% of the time. When you run a Toyo RA1 or R888 on the track, it becomes pretty difficult to enjoy driving on the street with anything else. It's about the least economical route to go, but it's the only way I can continue to justify renewing my tags every year.

Hey Ken, don't the comp tires pick up a lot of crap off the roads and fling it around and at the car?

Rich also what diameter youre running will dictate choices in sizes as well...the 19 street tire size that fits like a glove with no mods on my car is in my signature...

Ken what tires are you running on the street?

Cheers!-Randy

I'm running the Toyo RA1's on the street - they last about 10k miles. :lol:

Hey Ken, don't the comp tires pick up a lot of crap off the roads and fling it around and at the car?

Ya know I've read the same thought elsewhere online, but that hasn't been my experience thus far. My wheel wells seem to be just about as filthy as they were in the past on regular street tires, but maybe I'm just not looking closely enough?

I'm running the Toyo RA1's on the street - they last about 10k miles. :lol:

Ya know I've read the same thought elsewhere online, but that hasn't been my experience thus far. My wheel wells seem to be just about as filthy as they were in the past on regular street tires, but maybe I'm just not looking closely enough?

Believe it or not I wound up going with Generals..... Exclaim 225 45 18 mounted on AR Torq SM Thrust. The center caps arrive tomorrow.

I will let you know how they handle in a day or so.

post-24087-0-09020100-1300165853_thumb.jpg

post-24087-0-09020100-1300165853_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I just installed a set of Toyo Proxes T1Rs 255/45/18 all the way around on the stock SGT Bullitts...so far so good, drove the car back from NJ to Rochester NY and the ride was much quieter and definitely smoother than the stock BFG Hockey Pucks. Great traction in the turns and very sticky for acceleration...the only downside I have so far is the amount of road debris they pick up and throw into the wheel wells on town roads from the tread patterns.

Here is the link to the tires: http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/proxes-t1r-high-performance-tires

anyone else running these?

med_gallery_26538_1272_233074.jpg

med_gallery_26538_1272_387151.jpg

med_gallery_26538_1272_358078.jpg

You know, I've never used Toyo tires. They were all the rage when Fast and Furious first came out. I've heard good things.

Hey, I know these NT05s are awesome at the track, but does anyone run them on the street continuously? http://www.nittotire.com/index.html#index.tire.nt05

Interesting that the video promo they have the site for the NT05's is a of a BMW getting squirrelly in a corner and understeering into the next.... :headscratch:

I know right? I thought the same thing. I have seen the NT05s at the track, and they are nice DOT track tire. Just thinking out loud I suppose.

So you like the NT05's huh? Pushed my NT555's to the limit Saturday at PPIR and thinking it's time to starting working towards a set of track tires for when I get back there in July. Need to find a set of wheels that will fit over my brakes now though... :headscratch:

Archived