TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Zr1 or upgrade KR?

KR158

Ok my KR was set up with vmp's new tvs, pulley, tune, elbow and an lm tb. Car made 694whp and 695wlbft with stock exhaust on 91 pump gas. Needless to say car is great and a blast. With that said I ran a local ZR1 with upper pulley, headers, cams, ported heads making 680whp and lost by 2 and we ran 5-6 times. So now I am thinking of trying to get more power to catch him or switch from KR to a katech zr1? Thoughts would help guys. On a side not zr1 owner could not get over how fast KR was. Also ran a frp pulley, tune and header fgt and we were side by side the whole race. He was floored as well with how fast the KR was. Seems as if i can add a race gas tune and or long tube headers and maybe the 15% lower?

I've got an almost identical set up as you. You could go with the lower pulley, and increase injector size and retune, or go with a Kennebell supercharger. If you get a chance look at the new 5.0 magazine. The winner had a stock Eaton supercharger on his GT500 with 2 turbochargers. His bottom end was built stronger with new rods and pistons, but he was pushing 1,139 HP!!

Ok my KR was set up with vmp's new tvs, pulley, tune, elbow and an lm tb. Car made 694whp and 695wlbft with stock exhaust on 91 pump gas. Needless to say car is great and a blast. With that said I ran a local ZR1 with upper pulley, headers, cams, ported heads making 680whp and lost by 2 and we ran 5-6 times. So now I am thinking of trying to get more power to catch him or switch from KR to a katech zr1? Thoughts would help guys. On a side not zr1 owner could not get over how fast KR was. Also ran a frp pulley, tune and header fgt and we were side by side the whole race. He was floored as well with how fast the KR was. Seems as if i can add a race gas tune and or long tube headers and maybe the 15% lower?

Were you at a track or street racing? What was your 60', when did he pull on you besides mid 4th. early or all past 1/2 way? What type of tire are you running, pressure, suspension mods, cooling, what were you doing previously, conditions etc (is this from a dig or roll, how is your launch (soft / dump, what rpm, did you hook or spin through 2nd - 3rd, how were the conditions: realize he most likely has lc - paddle shifters with huge stock shoes? You have to realize the weight difference, transfer and traction, not just hp/tq. Little more info. please (hp / tq the same rest stock = you lose, no way around it)

Two totally different cars w/ two totally different puposes. The ZR1 is the greatest corvette ever made, The KR is the greatest mustang ever made IMO of course, one is a supercar, one is a muscle car. Just pick up a Z06 for around 50K w/ less then 1,000 miles and you can have both for the difference between the ZR1 and KR price.

Personally I wouldn't mod a KR at all, but you could put a KB blower on the car and probably get closer to beating him... but really if you're just looking for the fastest car then the KR might not be your best choice.

The ZR1 is lighter and more aerodynamic so from a 40mph roll you're going to lose on sheer drag alone.

Like dbowles22 said... two different cars for two different purposes.

The KR is a special limited production car. Its not the fastest car or Mustang out there. Never was. It is one of the most special though and probably very collectible in years ahead.

The ZR1 is lighter and more powerful stock. It will always be faster assuming power figures are close even with upgrades.

ZR1 is two seater sports car. KR is a muscle car with four seats. There will be thousands of ZR1s produced. There are only 1600 KRs and they are Shelbys.

Want to beat a ZR1? Lambo LP640, Ford GT ; Porsche Twin Turbo GT2; Modena 458. There are others.

I would keep the KR but I do like the ZR1. Thats me.

KR158,

Holy crap! Great numbers!

Curious on two things:

-do you have an upgraded heat exchanger

-do you have the original factory two piece drive shaft

Because these superchargers heat soak so quickly, I think a heat exchanger is a must. Shelby's dual fan extreme duty heat exchanger is the best out there. It will at least keep the hp you have. Also, I'm told that the sweet spot on these engines in temperature is 160 degrees. So changing the thermostat would help maximize the power.

The two piece drive shaft would worry me with having so much hp, compounded by running slicks/drag radials. I read somewhere, maybe the ford racing parts catalog, (tons of info in there...especially on MAF and tunes), where going above 650hp, (I think that was the hp they cited), it's highly advisable to put a one piece drive shaft on. Which is only compounded by the slicks/drag radials. The stress on that driveshaft must be huge with nowhere for all that power to go without wheel spin! Maybe in that you were starting at 40mph instead of a dead start saved the day. With all the power you have now, I'd look into that one piece driveshaft. Download the ford racing catalog and reference the one piece driveshaft discussion. I think that's where I read it. Again, there is tons of info in that catalog.

As far as the ZR1, that is a world class supercar. Right up there with the FGT, lambo's, etc..... As everyone has said here, two completely different concepts. The Z06, for that matter, is a great/world class race car. Light, low, perfect weight distribution, and on and on. The Z06 is a great car for what it's built for.

As far as which to buy, I look at it like this; the KR is so unique and rare, that gives major points. Might not be the fastest, buts its cool as hell. You don't see many ZR1's, but they don't hold the exotic mystique that the KR does. When people ask me about the KR and what that all means, part of the description and discussion comes down to, put it this way, you'll probably never in your life see a KR driving down the road unless going to a car show or race track. They are that rare. It's hard enough to see a GT500 for that matter! But you will see plenty of Z06's and the occassional ZR1. Most people put the KR in the garage. Mine has 2k miles on it, but a buddy of mine has I think 200 miles on his. Never takes it out. But he has other race cars to have his playtime in.

The rarity of the KR means that althought it's not as fast as the ZR1 or Z06, (and certainly not stock it isn't), means to me that the KR is a keeper. People that don't even know mustangs can't help but to gawk at the car.

Just my two cents worth. If I had the money, I'd buy the ZR1 and keep the KR. But I wouldn't trade the KR in to buy the ZR1 if it was an either/or.

Really curious about the heat exchanger and the one piece drive shaft. Great car you have!!

Yes van got me the Shelby heat exchanger and the one piece drive shaft that the super snake runs. The vids of the runs are up somewhere. I will find them and post them so you can see the runs. Yes the tvs with vmp tune etc is a nasty stock looking set up that does wonders on 91 pump gas. I have another guy with a kb gt500 making 754whp and he and I are even which baffles most since im down on power. I must admit the power band of the tvs is something great. My car sits in garage most of it's life being a 2008 with 2k miles but when it comes out its looking for action. Think you are 100% on the rare and cool factor of the KR. I will hold off for now and see if a set of long tubes closes the gap and see if justin can fine tune my baby. I must admit the nt05r in 305/45/18 is a nasty tire that not only fills the high rear fender well but plants the power great! Funny part is the group I run with with have a z06 with 570whp n/a, 754whp kb gt500, 600whp acr, 2 760whp whipple fgt's, 1 3.4 whipple fgt 740whp, 1 frp pulley, tune, exhaust fgt, 1 heffner tt lambo, 680whp zr1 and a 670whp noble. Needless to say it's a fast group that is hard to get to the top of the pack.

Yes van got me the Shelby heat exchanger and the one piece drive shaft that the super snake runs. The vids of the runs are up somewhere. I will find them and post them so you can see the runs. Yes the tvs with vmp tune etc is a nasty stock looking set up that does wonders on 91 pump gas. I have another guy with a kb gt500 making 754whp and he and I are even which baffles most since im down on power. I must admit the power band of the tvs is something great. My car sits in garage most of it's life being a 2008 with 2k miles but when it comes out its looking for action. Think you are 100% on the rare and cool factor of the KR. I will hold off for now and see if a set of long tubes closes the gap and see if justin can fine tune my baby. I must admit the nt05r in 305/45/18 is a nasty tire that not only fills the high rear fender well but plants the power great! Funny part is the group I run with with have a z06 with 570whp n/a, 754whp kb gt500, 600whp acr, 2 760whp whipple fgt's, 1 3.4 whipple fgt 740whp, 1 frp pulley, tune, exhaust fgt, 1 heffner tt lambo, 680whp zr1 and a 670whp noble. Needless to say it's a fast group that is hard to get to the top of the pack.

Well, I can see why you are trying to amp what you've got up with the pack you run with! Quite the crowd!! I was thinking your wheels might be making the difference on the GT500 @ 754whp. Don't know what he's running. The nt05r's were the exact tire I am going to. I was going to put 285's all the way around. I'd like to put 305's in the rear but don't know how they would fit on the factory rims. I think the Goodyear dealership was telling me it would fit. But I don't know if I believe them. I'll have to look into that more. But definitely want to go to 285's on the front to help with the understeer.

I've emailed and spoken with Van. Super nice guy and very knowledgeable. I figured with the 5x runs you were making against the ZR1, losing by the same amount each time, that you had the heat exchanger. There'd be no way with each succeding run that you would be losing by the same amount if you didn't. And I'm glad that you've already got that one piece drive shaft. Perfect!!

Congrats on a great car with some great mods! It must just scream and be a blast. Can't imagine that much power that you are able to stick to the pavement!

Do you use the nt05r for all your driving? That's what I would be doing. Don't have the money for a whole different set of rims and so on. They hold up well? Any suspension work done? Competition UCA or LCA relocation brackets to help plant the tires and prevent wheel hop? Watts link or adjustable panhard bar? If you've got no wheel spin then the wheels are certainly doing a great job. Any suspension work to help the setup?

Great thread and thanks for sharing!

Steve

KR158,

Holy crap! Great numbers!

Curious on two things:

-do you have an upgraded heat exchanger

-do you have the original factory two piece drive shaft

Because these superchargers heat soak so quickly, I think a heat exchanger is a must. Shelby's dual fan extreme duty heat exchanger is the best out there. It will at least keep the hp you have. Also, I'm told that the sweet spot on these engines in temperature is 160 degrees. So changing the thermostat would help maximize the power.

The two piece drive shaft would worry me with having so much hp, compounded by running slicks/drag radials. I read somewhere, maybe the ford racing parts catalog, (tons of info in there...especially on MAF and tunes), where going above 650hp, (I think that was the hp they cited), it's highly advisable to put a one piece drive shaft on. Which is only compounded by the slicks/drag radials. The stress on that driveshaft must be huge with nowhere for all that power to go without wheel spin! Maybe in that you were starting at 40mph instead of a dead start saved the day. With all the power you have now, I'd look into that one piece driveshaft. Download the ford racing catalog and reference the one piece driveshaft discussion. I think that's where I read it. Again, there is tons of info in that catalog.

As far as the ZR1, that is a world class supercar. Right up there with the FGT, lambo's, etc..... As everyone has said here, two completely different concepts. The Z06, for that matter, is a great/world class race car. Light, low, perfect weight distribution, and on and on. The Z06 is a great car for what it's built for.

As far as which to buy, I look at it like this; the KR is so unique and rare, that gives major points. Might not be the fastest, buts its cool as hell. You don't see many ZR1's, but they don't hold the exotic mystique that the KR does. When people ask me about the KR and what that all means, part of the description and discussion comes down to, put it this way, you'll probably never in your life see a KR driving down the road unless going to a car show or race track. They are that rare. It's hard enough to see a GT500 for that matter! But you will see plenty of Z06's and the occassional ZR1. Most people put the KR in the garage. Mine has 2k miles on it, but a buddy of mine has I think 200 miles on his. Never takes it out. But he has other race cars to have his playtime in.

The rarity of the KR means that althought it's not as fast as the ZR1 or Z06, (and certainly not stock it isn't), means to me that the KR is a keeper. People that don't even know mustangs can't help but to gawk at the car.

Just my two cents worth. If I had the money, I'd buy the ZR1 and keep the KR. But I wouldn't trade the KR in to buy the ZR1 if it was an either/or.

Really curious about the heat exchanger and the one piece drive shaft. Great car you have!!

Well written!! and with the TVS you definitely want the larger heat exchanger and one piece drive shaft.

KR158, I would stay with the KR and then get a FGT, or a 289 Cobra... Then you can out track them.

No suspension mods and no wheel hop. I have tc off all the time and drop the rears to 30. I am just running stock KR wheels 18x9.5 and the 305's fit just fine. The nt05r is a very soft tire and think it will wear very very fast. I run them all the time but car doesn't get driven much at all. Like I said an 08 bought new with 2800 miles says it all. Yes the guys I know are very fast. One has a mosler mt900 with an ls7 put in by katech. Never seen it run but should be fast!

Get an aluminum short block, raise the red line to around 7k, and get a close ratio gear box. That way you have a much better chance of beating him. ZR1s come with close ratio 6 speed from factory, all 6 gears are performance gear. Only if GT500s had that... ZR1s are stupid fast, pick any car magazine and sure there is a ZR1 being tested against cars that cost 3 times as much and it beats most if not all of them. Both are great

No suspension mods and no wheel hop. I have tc off all the time and drop the rears to 30. I am just running stock KR wheels 18x9.5 and the 305's fit just fine. The nt05r is a very soft tire and think it will wear very very fast. I run them all the time but car doesn't get driven much at all. Like I said an 08 bought new with 2800 miles says it all. Yes the guys I know are very fast. One has a mosler mt900 with an ls7 put in by katech. Never seen it run but should be fast!

I believe I had read in one of your previous threads that you had ran the 315/40/18 NT05DR on your stock rims and had good success. Why did you switch to the 305's?

i did have 315's and loved them as well. They are not as tall as the 305's so that is why I went with them. I sold them thinking I was going to a 20in wheel. Once we added the power it became pretty clear the 20's would have issues hooking up. One of the local gt500 owners had the 305's on his shelby and said i should try them. They were cheaper then the 315's and could be here in a day as opposed to a week so went for them and they hook great and look good. Has that old school big fat rear tire look which is always nice. Either way with the 315 or 305 you shuold be happy. I think for the 9.5 rim the 305 may be a better fit but dont forget its almost 2in taller then stock!

Archived