TEAM SHELBY FORUM

DIY or Dealership Whipple Install

So I've been planning on doing the Whipple install on my SGT myself... with help. But while in the local dealership (hood scoop saga), they said they have an "experienced" SC installer and they'd do the entire install for $1300 out the door and it would be warrantied... While I'm not sure I believe the "experienced" installed line, I'm thinking that $1300 is a pretty good price for a 14 hour install.

I've done mostly all the bolt-on work on my car (and previous cars), but have no experience with engine work. I still thought that with adequate instructions and some weekend help, I could tackle this though. But I do have a bit of a "patience deficiency" and they'd warranty it...

What would you all do IN MY position?

$1300 pays for more tires. Which you WILL need!

I did mine myself, I'm curious what exactly they are going to warranty though, just the blower, or the whole drivetrain?

What kind of previous experience do/did you have?

And they would warranty the blower itself. And I would assume any related damage if the blower lets go. But I haven't heard of that happening either. Then again, I thought someone told me I can get the warranty even if it's NOT dealer installed. Not sure on that though.

I've done various mechanical repairs on mostly older engines, no internal engine work though. I've put nitrous on a car, swapped transmissions, rear ends, entire long block swaps, nothing really complicated, just bolting on new stuff for the most part... I did the blower install 100% by myself, the only part you really may need help for is to lower the blower on the car when it's time, that thing gets heavy with arms stretched out! I did that myself too, but would recommend a second set of hands if you can get em. the instructions from whipple are excellent and easy to follow.

Did mine myself with a friend. Both of us have remove and replace experience. That and ability to follow the instructions is all you need.

It is kind of like building a full sized Revell model.

The sense of accomplishment still endures today.

Have fun with the install!

I've done various mechanical repairs on mostly older engines, no internal engine work though. I've put nitrous on a car, swapped transmissions, rear ends, entire long block swaps, nothing really complicated, just bolting on new stuff for the most part... I did the blower install 100% by myself, the only part you really may need help for is to lower the blower on the car when it's time, that thing gets heavy with arms stretched out! I did that myself too, but would recommend a second set of hands if you can get em. the instructions from whipple are excellent and easy to follow.

The above sounds very good, if you have the correct tools and area to do it in and you are very mechanically inclined. If you have 2 of the 3 of those I would say either get very good very experienced help or pay the $1300. Post pics either way. :)

I honestly believe all you need of those 3 is the space really, spend the cash on tools that you'll have forever, and learn!

When it's broken into the steps like whipple's instructions do, it's really not that challenging. I think I have the instructions as a pdf if you want them emailed, just pm me your address. Read thru it and see if anything sounds too tough and let that be your guide!

Consider cam covers and other things that you may want to do at the same time, as some things will be easier when the intake is already off too.

I honestly believe all you need of those 3 is the space really, spend the cash on tools that you'll have forever, and learn!

When it's broken into the steps like whipple's instructions do, it's really not that challenging. I think I have the instructions as a pdf if you want them emailed, just pm me your address. Read thru it and see if anything sounds too tough and let that be your guide!

Consider cam covers and other things that you may want to do at the same time, as some things will be easier when the intake is already off too.

Thanks. Yup, got my Shelby SGT Valve covers waiting in the wings for the combined install. I do have the instruction manual, all printed out in a binder, in color and have read it through and highlighted any areas that weren't 100% clear. If I do do this myself, I had planned on actually asking you all for clarification on a few pieces before I proceed. Most of my questions were related to wiring. There are a few spots where they show a picture of a black wiring harness that could be about anywhere in the engine bay and then state what harness it is... not sure I know that exactly.

Anyway, I'm still in the Do It Myself camp... I just wondered if $1300 was worth having it done... but everytime I ask, it seems the answer is always, "You can do it!"... which is good.

Bought most of the tools I need a couple weeks ago (along with a new toolbox... what? The new tools had to go somewhere!).

Sounds like I'm going to have to do this! I get the funds Friday at 4:30 and then the order gets placed with Lethal Performance for the Polished Whipple 550 with the Lethal tune file. :happy feet: :peelout:

BTW, Lethal has been the best price I've found so far. I checked Tousley, but they were a little higher and wouldn't come down. Plus Lethal added their tune for next to nothing. It'll be interesting to see the difference between the Whipple tune and the Lethal tune.

I'm sure lethal's tune is great, but honestly, the whipple tune made 519hp on mine... I can't imagine going any higher, even considered swapping pullies to make it lower, so with a stock block, i'm not sure there's really a "better".

Archived