TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2012 SVTPP Replacement Wheels/Tires - Home Stretch

Madlock

I'm at the final junction of my wheel /tire crossroads – andI'd appreciate any helpful advice or insight that may be available before committing.

I will be replacing the OE F-1 G: 2 tires with ContinentalExtremeContact DWS. My wheel choiceswill consist of either the 19" x 10" Ford Racing SVTPP look-alikes, the 20" OEwheels (widened to 10.5") or Forgestar F14s – whose spoke pattern is about asclose to the SVTPP wheels as exists (it's a 7/14-spoke pattern rather than 8/16)and comes in 19", 20" and 22" diameters in widths up to 12" milled to virtuallyany offset you like.

I intend to keep the OE F-1 G: 2's for tracking duringoptimal conditions. I've 4 basic reartire choices from the DWS family.

4 x 275/40-19 (on 19" x 10")

Pros: 4-way rotation, more front-end grip, OE diametercompatibility and ride comfort.

Cons:More front-end pull, more susceptible to hydroplaning andsmaller rear contact patch.

2 x 285/35-19 and 2 x 245/35-19 (on 19" x 10")

Pros: OE rear width, shorter rear diameter/quicker (makes the 3.73behave more like a 3.73), more nimble steering with less front-end pull and lesssusceptible to hydroplaning.

Cons: Stance lowered by ¾", visual difference (smaller tires tofill the fender.

2 x 315/35-20 and either 2 x 275/40-19 or 2 x 275/35-20 (on 20"x 10.5" Forgestar F14s or widened OE rear wheels and either 19" x 10" or 20" x 9.5" OE wheels)

Pros: Contact, contact and more contact. Completely fills the rear wheel arch without rubbing. Maximum footprint. Visual appeal (particularly on 20" wheelsall-around)

Cons: Cost (Up to $1,500 more), taller effective final driveratio, greater front-end pull, more susceptible to hydroplaning and car sitstaller (by ¾"). I'd almost consider a4.10 or 4.30 ring and pinion to offset it.

2 x 295/25-22 and either 2 x 245/30-22 or 2 x 275/35-20 (on 4 x 22" x 10.5" Forgestars)

Pros: Improved hookup and visual appeal, but this setup would beall about handling – perhaps even better than OE on the track.

Cons: MUCH harsher ride for daily driving, shorter sidewall maynegate rear width increase, requires aftermarket wheels with no OE center cap, mayeven buy a third set of wheels on 18" for comfort driving.

That's where I am at the moment. I'd really appreciate anybody's insight andthoughts as to:

• Whether my presumptions and suspicions are accurate
  • Anything I may have overlooked
  • First-hand experience with all or part of any of theseoptions
  • Suggestions for improvement

It's probably important to know I intend to upgrade to theFord Racing Dynamic Damper kit – so I can have a bit of control over ridecomfort beyond sidewall height.

Thanks, in advance, to anybody with any helpful advice to share.

Madlock, do you know what the widest you can go with the SVTPP is? I'm looking at the 19"x10" Ford racing equivalents to the stock rims and 1. It is hard to find a tire that will give the same overall diameter or close to it and 2. I dont want to have to modify the bumpstop or shock boot. You said one of your options fills the wheel well.... how well? I'm looking to go about 11.5-11.75 inches but that's a number I pulled out of my butt. I just want more-than-marginal improvement over the stock 10s.

As to your dilemma, I would go with the widened SVT wheels because I love the look, regardless of all the other stuff you researched. The 20" alcoas all around would be a second pick for me but that option is cost prohibitive in my opinion.

Archived