TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Performance Mods to 2011 - need some help

jmungiel

Dear All,

Spring is soon approaching.

I have a 2011 Shelby with the SVTPP. I wanted to have a local NJ tune shop (JMD Engineering in Freehold) do a Dyno (SCT) Tune and install a 2.6 pulley. I visited the shop and felt very comfortable and confident with them.

Would any of you be concerned doing these mods, given the car is still under warranty?

If I just did the Dyno Tune, I could probably get 40/50 RWHP...... would I feel this on a car with about 500 RWHP? Or, should I also get the 2.6 pulley installed?

Also, would it be worth it ($625) to install a Ford Racing TB? I'm not so concerned about the HP, but the "feel" of power. I had a 2009 corvette and was not so impressed with the power.

My Shelby is not a daily driver. I typically driveit casually and don't often mash the pedal. I am leaning towards getting this work done but don't want to have "the warranty issue in the back of my mind". I don't think would be an issue since I drive quite gingerly and was told by the shop that their tune keeps the car within safe operating parameters.

Any insight on this would be helpful. Thanks guys!!!!

Dear All,

Spring is soon approaching.

I have a 2011 Shelby with the SVTPP. I wanted to have a local NJ tune shop (JMD Engineering in Freehold) do a Dyno (SCT) Tune and install a 2.6 pulley. I visited the shop and felt very comfortable and confident with them.

Would any of you be concerned doing these mods, given the car is still under warranty?

If I just did the Dyno Tune, I could probably get 40/50 RWHP...... would I feel this on a car with about 500 RWHP? Or, should I also get the 2.6 pulley installed?

Also, would it be worth it ($625) to install a Ford Racing TB? I'm not so concerned about the HP, but the "feel" of power. I had a 2009 corvette and was not so impressed with the power.

My Shelby is not a daily driver. I typically driveit casually and don't often mash the pedal. I am leaning towards getting this work done but don't want to have "the warranty issue in the back of my mind". I don't think would be an issue since I drive quite gingerly and was told by the shop that their tune keeps the car within safe operating parameters.

Any insight on this would be helpful. Thanks guys!!!!

the tune is not so much a concern---you can take it out before you have the car serviced by Ford,and really should since if they put in a revised program it'll wipe out your tune.--plus IMHO youll never get

very much from the tune itself,maybe 15hp. The underpulley will give you the most, but there have been several guys on the TS who had an issue with the drivetrain,and Ford told them with the underpulley, the warranty wouldnt cover the work,in one case it was $2000 of work. Others have had better luck, so its really a function of the dealer.To me its not worth the risk,so im keeping mine stock till me extended warranty runs out. BTW i also have a C6 vette, and the Gt500 stock runs a tie with it-maybe its a little louder and gets more attention, but stock its not much faster

No concern what so ever....I did the 2.6 pulley on mine, as well as some other things, and it's amazing how much better it feels!

I did a stage 0 tune with 2.6 pulley/ 65mm cj tb on my 2010 with 1000 miles and wow did it wake it up.It pulled 581 rwhp on a mustang dyno.Drives as good as stock.I highly recommend it.Now ; the traction problem is another issue.

Zero concerns. My only suggestion is to forget the TB for now and go with an upgraded HE with fans (I went with the Revan / Shelby HE) since you'll be spinning the SC faster. Now if it's mostly a cruiser you probably won't need it, but if you drive spirited in the summer you'll notice some heat soak. Tires should be your next mod (depending on how you drive). Have fun!

Just throwin this out there; I had read an article that stated the 2011 GT500 and other SVT vehicles can now document specific changes made to the PCM. Someone had posted an article on TS about how Ford techs can now see what changes were made to the factory settings, where as in the past they were able to tell the PCM was accessed, but not see the specific changes to the factory settings.

Don't kill the messenger, but I know the article is somewhere on the TS forums.

If you feel like your 2011 isn't enough power then its gonna take more then a 2.6" pulley to make you happy. I did a pulley and TB and now make 585whp and its honestly not enough now that I have the tires to put all the power down to the pavement which is another thing to consider since the factory rubber cant even hook up all 550 stock hp how do you expect it to hook up 560whp+

If I were you and had the $$$ I'd either leave it stock or get the TVS or 2.9L supercharger upgrade from Ford or another vendor and a set of sticky tires. The pulley/ tune just isn't worth it on a 2011 if you're worried about your warranty.

Thanks alot gentlemen.

the overall feeling i am getting is too hold off till the car is out of warranty and/or need to then get stickier tires.......too much money to spend.

one of you guys said that the car already has a hard time hooking up and i have noticed that.......

mayble i will just do the SCT Dyno tune for now and leave it at that....since i can always reverse it if a warranty issue comes up....mod shop said that the tunealone would yield about 50 rwhp and this they said would be confirmed with dyno results....

anyone think this is too optimistic?

INYADREAMS- it would be great if you could find this "link" about the Ford guys now being able to tell what you did to the car via the computer........

anyone else hear about this.

Thank you all for the great input. It is really appreciated!!!

the tune is not so much a concern---you can take it out before you have the car serviced by Ford,and really should since if they put in a revised program it'll wipe out your tune.--plus IMHO youll never get

very much from the tune itself,maybe 15hp. The underpulley will give you the most, but there have been several guys on the TS who had an issue with the drivetrain,and Ford told them with the underpulley, the warranty wouldnt cover the work,in one case it was $2000 of work. Others have had better luck, so its really a function of the dealer.To me its not worth the risk,so im keeping mine stock till me extended warranty runs out. BTW i also have a C6 vette, and the Gt500 stock runs a tie with it-maybe its a little louder and gets more attention, but stock its not much faster

thanks for the input. i miss my c6< but the shelby is more fun to drive.....you actually feel like your going fast in the shelby whereas the vette hid the power

i am waiting on the release of the c7....illl be in the showroom then

btw,,,,i have travelled to altanta many times and enjoy it. beautiful area....especially like the shopping and restaurants in the perimeter center..

mod shop said that the tunealone would yield about 50 rwhp and this they said would be confirmed with dyno results....

anyone think this is too optimistic?

Yes that is way too optimistic for a 2011.

Some 2011 member's with SCT's have removed their canned tune's and returned back to stock because they didn't feel much if any seat of the pants difference and it just wasn't worth it to them. 2011's seem to pick up the least whp on a tune alone. Just make sure you mod it before you even start to think about selling it, since you bought the quickest, easiest and cheapest car to mod and get ridiculous power out of it would be a shame to sell it premature without ever uncorking all of its hidden power and turning it into the ultimate street machine.

Archived