TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hello from a new Shelby Owner

dkchapuis

Hello all.

First time Ford Ford owner, and I am proud that my first purchase was a 2008 Shelby GT500 with 700 miles. It was love at first sight. White with blue stripes (the classic shelby colors).

The plan right now is to drive it weekends only and on special occasions. I dont plan on selling it ... ever ... but I like that it has very low miles and is in perfect shape. However, I live just outside of Tulsa and want to take it to Hallett racing a couple times a year also.

I am not a mechanic, but a friend of mine said not to push it until the engine has been broken in, which he said was 2k-3k miles.

So do you mechanics out there agree that I should not take it to a race track until it has 2K miles on it? I was only wanting to put 1k-2k miles a year on my new baby, but I would like to take it to the track soon and will bump it to 2K miles over the next couple months if that is recommended.

Thanks, and I look forward to getting to know everybody.

Hello all.

First time Ford Ford owner, and I am proud that my first purchase was a 2008 Shelby GT500 with 700 miles. It was love at first sight. White with blue stripes (the classic shelby colors).

The plan right now is to drive it weekends only and on special occasions. I dont plan on selling it ... ever ... but I like that it has very low miles and is in perfect shape. However, I live just outside of Tulsa and want to take it to Hallett racing a couple times a year also.

I am not a mechanic, but a friend of mine said not to push it until the engine has been broken in, which he said was 2k-3k miles.

So do you mechanics out there agree that I should not take it to a race track until it has 2K miles on it? I was only wanting to put 1k-2k miles a year on my new baby, but I would like to take it to the track soon and will bump it to 2K miles over the next couple months if that is recommended.

Thanks, and I look forward to getting to know everybody.

Welcome! Great car choice! I would take it to the track and call it good...

drive it like you stole it. :) Also when you have time please register it with the Shelby American Registry. You can do so by following the link in my signature. Welcome to Team Shelby!

Chris

Congrats on getting your Shelby. These are fantastic cars......just be careful of the mod bug. Once bitten, you'll never be the same.

Agree with the other guys........get it to 1000 miles, change the oil and go tear up the track happy%20feet.gif .

Congratulations on your first and 'very wise' Ford purchase!

I love the color choice...but then, I'm extremely partial. On this site, you will find lot's of friendly, helpful folks for every little thing that comes up. And...no question is too small or silly.

If it's been sitting that long, get the oil changed now. Motorcraft synthetic, and the FRPP oil filter, and go drive it like you stole it, as the 'other' Chris has so eliquently stated!! :happy feet:

Welcome to Team Shelby!! :shift:

Thanks for all the welcomes. I added a couple pics in my gallery section.

Got the oil changed yesterday, and i registered with team shelby.

I guess the next step is to buy a helmet and take her to the track!!

Now your talking!!!!!!!!

Best of luck........these cars are tons of fun on the track.

Welcome aboard and congratulations on the purchase of a great car! :shift:

As many have said, there are great folks here who can help you when you ask and will provide lifelong friends in the hobby.

Also, be sure and register your new baby if you have not had the chance. The link is below.

David

Congrats on your Shelby! Besides the track, be sure to look for and be a part of local/regional Shelby events... great way to meet other TS members. There's an annual Shelby event there in OK that is just perfect.

For the track... buy TRACK INSURANCE, unless you're fortunate enough to afford paying any potential repairs out of pocket. Trust me, speaking from experience, IT happens.

Now go enjoy Your Shelby!

Keith

Archived