TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Crank.... BANG!!!!

Stidog

Back in late Jan/early Feb we were in a cold snap that precluded me from driving Sylvia for a few days. We finally got a dry, but cold day, about 20 degrees and decided I NEEDED to drive my car... so about 9pm that night I go out climb in an crank it up. It initally turned over a bit hard, you could tell the battery was struggling a bit, then I hear BANG, and she fired up and purred. I was a tad concerned so I had the onboard diagnostic run a self test and everything was fine. I backed out of my parking spot, and head out of the apt complex. When I took off from the stop sign I went through first, but second jammed on me, and I couldnt get it into gear, so I skipped it and went to third, for about a block till I hit the stop sign at the highway. I turned on the highway and once again, went into first smooth, second jammed and skipped to third. Now i'm a little concerned.... I really kind of like second gear. I travel another block and pull into the gas station to pick up my provisions for work, you know candy, soda, and all the stuff my wife has forbidden me to eat and drink... anyways... I head back out to the car and hop in. I try to start it, and it just whirrs like the starter is gone... I know everyone knows that sound. I pop the hood and look under there halfheartedly and see nothing obvious. The magic words "warranty work" come to mind so I call for a tow.... The next morning it gets dropped off at Ford and a few hours later they call me... It seems the starter input shaft, somehow sheared off, went back punched a hole in the bellhousing, which in turn sent shrapnel into the clutch area, causing a FOD issue in second gear. They changed the starter, ordered the bellhousing and I had the car back that afternoon. A few days later I'm walking the dawg, and I look down and about four feet from where the front of my car was that night I find the input shaft... There was enough power not only to shear the shaft, toss it hard enough to break the bellhousing, but to send it back out the front of the car, and over the curb to rest four feet away... Anyone ever had/heard of this problem? The Ford guys were amazed.... Here are a few pics of the shaft and bellhousing... at least life in the GT500 world is always interesting :)

post-26480-0-60560800-1299131063_thumb.jpg

post-26480-0-30106400-1299131189_thumb.jpg

post-26480-0-60560800-1299131063_thumb.jpg

post-26480-0-30106400-1299131189_thumb.jpg

I am surprised the starter gear shaft is hollow. I guess the strain of turning the motor over when it was 20 degrees and the oil was thick as hell from the cold probably isn't something we should do. Food for thought. Thanks for sharing and glad Ford took care of the problem for you.

Archived