TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Class Action Suite agains Ford for Clutch Assembly

linvx

The clutch on my 2008 GT-500 failed at ~28,000 miles. Still on first set of tires.

I "get" that the clutch plate is a "wear" item and not covered under warranty.

What I refuse to accept is that as of six months (or whatever) ago, Ford no longer allows dealers to replace just the clutch plate. The FORCE the dealer to replace the ENTIRE assembly and with a 2010 model.

I am absolutely, postively NOT going to take this. It is clear that the clutch assembly is defective and that Ford won't accept responsibility. There is a thread on this forum showing an extremely high failure rate and ford forcing people to spend $2,200 on the entire assebly vice just the clutch plate.

If there is one thing I have at my disposal is attornies. I haven't approached them on this issue because I am hoping Ford makes the right decision.

But, how many people are up for a CLASS ACTION lawsuit against Ford forcing them to pay for future clutch "assembly" replacements and to reimburse those who have previously been denied warranty coverage?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the tip. I was actually researching after market clutch assemblies because there was no way I was going to put a Ford clutch assembly back into my car.

BUT....

That does not negate the fact that the Ford clutch is defective and they refused to replace it under warranty.

The easy thing is to pull out the check book and stroke a check for the replacment assembly. I am not going to do that.

I am going to sure Ford to either replace it free of charge or to give me an allowance to do it myself using brands/parts of my choosing. I am looking for fellow GT-500 owners who, like me, beleive Ford produced a defective assembly and want them held accountable for the replacement of the assembly.

you can put in a spec super twin for less. http://www.shelbystore.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=clutch and it will be a better unit. The stock ones are JUNK

Chris

I understand that, BUT if you come out victorious in this matter, you still have a crap clutch. You will still need to buy a better one down the road. Why not just bite the bullet and do it? You are going to spend way more than the clutch would cost, plus the added stress, and anguish of your car being down where you can't drive it if you decide to pursue this, I'm just sayin.

Chris

Thanks for the tip. I was actually researching after market clutch assemblies because there was no way I was going to put a Ford clutch assembly back into my car.

BUT....

That does not negate the fact that the Ford clutch is defective and they refused to replace it under warranty.

The easy thing is to pull out the check book and stroke a check for the replacment assembly. I am not going to do that.

I am going to sure Ford to either replace it free of charge or to give me an allowance to do it myself using brands/parts of my choosing. I am looking for fellow GT-500 owners who, like me, beleive Ford produced a defective assembly and want them held accountable for the replacement of the assembly.

I completely understand where your coming from and I agree, Ford dropped the ball on this one.. But for me, it's not worth the hassle of a class action suite.

But that's just me.

I understand that, BUT if you come out victorious in this matter, you still have a crap clutch. You will still need to buy a better one down the road. Why not just bite the bullet and do it? You are going to spend way more than the clutch would cost, plus the added stress, and anguish of your car being down where you can't drive it if you decide to pursue this, I'm just sayin.

Chris

Chris, the stock clutch in my GT500 works perfectly. I'm sure there are better clutches but it is a far cry from junk IMO. I have personaly held mine in my hands and the build quality was good. The stock 07-09 clutch will also take alot more of a beating than several of the aftermarket units. I think if I was OP and could get another free stock clutch, even it was an 010-011 model, I would be happy all the way to the bank.

We only hear about the failed units and there are many reasons for failure.

Several people have had to go up the food chain in order to get a Ford dealership to replace a failed clutch, most of those failures IMO were related to improper installation at the factory and poor design of the early flywheels. If OP digs a little bit, should be able to get a phone number at Ford.

The clutch on my 2008 GT-500 failed at ~28,000 miles. Still on first set of tires.

What I refuse to accept is that as of six months (or whatever) ago, Ford no longer allows dealers to replace just the clutch plate. The FORCE the dealer to replace the ENTIRE assembly and with a 2010 model.

I am absolutely, postively NOT going to take this. It is clear that the clutch assembly is defective and that Ford won't accept responsibility. There is a thread on this forum showing an extremely high failure rate and ford forcing people to spend $2,200 on the entire assebly vice just the clutch plate.

If there is one thing I have at my disposal is attornies. I haven't approached them on this issue because I am hoping Ford makes the right decision.

But, how many people are up for a CLASS ACTION lawsuit against Ford forcing them to pay for future clutch "assembly" replacements and to reimburse those who have previously been denied warranty coverage?

Has your car had the clutch/tranmission TSB performed? If it hasn't had the TSB performed then it has a known defective flywheel and you can pull up data from the Sticky thread section to help the dealership make a case for you.

With ALL DUE RESPECT my man...

Google TSB's and WARRANTIES on "all" cars, and the results are dizzying!!

If you are dissatisfied with your situation, you are not alone...I assure you! This forum as you have mentioned, is full of guys with their distaste for their defective clutch and flywheel. UNFORTUNATELY class action suits are only looked upon favorably by willing attorneys in situations where motorists are hurt, or even killed. In this instance, I think it's safe to say that nobody has been hurt or killed by a warped flywheel in a GT500?

If you have a chat with a licensed FORD technician, who has done a bunch of these clutch replacements, he may or may not be honest with you and tell you that the major problem with our cars was two fold....1) no lube on the tranny input shaft..normally would be ok in most situations, but on our cars the tolerances were too tight on the splines. 2) a flywheel made of an inferior material that DOES NOT disapate heat sufficiently. You add the two issues together, and it was a train wreck waiting to happen...perhaps the perfect / or imperfect storm!?

I feel for you. My car currently has no symptoms, and they all tell me that I am just too early in miles, and am just lucky...for now. But, a class action lawsuit? Misdirected energy bud. I am sorry to sound like a d____ead. But, I would do like a few others have advised...save the energy, money and headaches, and do an aftermarket clutch, and know in your heart that at least our motors are built by hand and are for the mostpart bombproof! As well, this is the only real issue with our cars, and that is pretty damn good if you ask me!!

:salute:

BB

I don't have anything to compare it to, but I like my 2008 clutch. (Of course I wouldn't like if it failed and Ford didn't want to fix it). My warranty is over in one month. When it fails I will get a twin spec.

M

I guess I'm just a tight ars when it comes to going the free replacement route first. I have also talked with a couple of mechanics that agree the stocker will hold up better than some of the aftermarket units.

Well I have 6800 miles and bet on it of course it is still stock. Yea I know still stock but I had no issues and been through a set of rear tire so far still pulling.

Ford replaced the entire clutch assembly and flywheel in my '07 with 2,200miles on it at N/C and with absolutely no issues acting up on the car. The 3/36 was about to expire and they covered it since so many cars had problems. It all depends on the dealership and if the service manager is cool or a "Richard Cranium". The fact that Ford warrantied these to begin with is surprising. They had to design a car that can be driven in stop and go traffic and to the strip to be thrashed by some people with little or no experience with power. If the clutch was ideal for racing it would suck for everyday use and vice-versa. Every manufacturer considers the clutch a wear item just like brakes and tires.

Yeah it sucks but buy a good one and put it in yourself, a few hundred bucks and an afternoon of work. Like someone said no one died so a class action won't work.

Seriously?

:hysterical:

I'm not alone.

charlie-sheen.jpg?t=1299027155

...the major problem with our cars was two fold....1) no lube on the tranny input shaft..normally would be ok in most situations, but on our cars the tolerances were too tight on the splines. 2) a flywheel made of an inferior material that DOES NOT disapate heat sufficiently. You add the two issues together, and it was a train wreck waiting to happen...perhaps the perfect / or imperfect storm!?

Nailed it!

I know of three right now that nobody died from.

One is for over stated horsepower in small engines.

One for mutual fund misstatement of some sort.

Another for premature brake wear on Honda's.

Just saying people don't have to die....

My 08 has no symptoms, but the clutch has diminished resale of the cars no doubt. The reputation isn't good and must impact value.

my stocker good, still like day one BUT I have a McLeod RXT ready and waiting.........as for the class action, good luck, you will really need it. Is $2000 assembly worth the fight? You are the mouse, Ford is the elephant so you will need lots of luck.

Yep......David and Goliath!!

Wussup Lelo? :)

So what do I need to expect to pay to have one of the aftermarket clutches in you guys are citing? Parts and labor?

Hey Alloy.....

In response to your post about 'no death' required for class action's.....you are right, really. It's just as I mentioned, attornies that are 'willing' to take these cases are few. Because...they know that a judge is going to be LESS likely to rule agianst a company for any wrong doing that hasn't caused any death, or dismemberment, and as well, on such a small scale in the scheme of things as this clutch issue really is!

I understand your frustation for sure, but I have had my clutch replaced twice now, first at 12,000 miles and just recently (Jan 6, 2011) at 26,000 miles. Both times the dealer replaced them under the clutch tsb with no questions asked. So perhaps it is just the dealer.

As an attorney that deals with these types of cases, your analysis is mostly correct. Think about the damages. 2-3k per person, for the ones that the clutch replacement/warranty wasn't honored. After fees/expenses, the amount left over for the client will be half or less, especially if the case settles, which most of them will.

The only ones to win out are going to be the attorneys.

Keep in mind that the costs for experts to prove up the defects, will be substantial. The only way ANY attorney is going to take on a case like this will be if there is volume. Your approach, to gather support and followers, is on target. However, unless you can ralley 50-100 people to your cause, it may not be appealing to an attorney.

If you are firm shopping, look for the firms that are handling the toyota recalls as they will know how to work the case and whom to employ as experts.

Keep up with the grassroots approach but ultimately, listen to the folks here, buy an aftermarket clutch, and forget about it.

I'm on the 3rd clutch so far, 2nd 5th gear (due to the improper rebuild when they did the first clutch tsb), and 2nd top. I anticipate having to have the alternator replaced too, at some point. Wheel hop is still an issue, and there are rattles in the car. Clearly this isn't the build quality I was expecting when I lined up to be one of the first (not too bright) buyers who paid a premium over sticker. However, I knew buying a first year run of a car wasn't smart, but the heart wants what it wants.

I chalk it up to my first irresponsible purchase. Hopefully of many more to come.

Its like what they say about boat owners and the two happiest days of their lives....the day they buy their boat and the day the sell it.

Right now I'm never planning on selling, but rather, passing it down to my son in another 13 years or so, when he won't be able to afford the gas to take it any further than from home to school!

WOW. Really? Sue over a clutch? And so goes many a minds. Might as well piss directly into the wind of a hurricane. Seriously you havent got a prayer of a chance at a class action let alone a victory in any sort.

Its a clutch, they wear out. Whether design was flawed or not will be totally buried by Fords legal dept. Not to mentiont the time frame for class actions....totally not worth the wait.

I can understand the frustration but not the sue em mentality. Ive been told point blank by a local dealership....'If you start having clutch issues dont come here, we dont do the TSB stuff. Trouble getting paid by Ford". Then I have another more customer oriented dealer who has went to battle for me with other issues. Ive got 40K and so far no clutch issues. When it does go, then it goes.

Archived