TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Do you use Wheel Locks?

07SGT5687

I'll send it to ya if you need it... and promise not to steal anyone's wheels!

BTW, how many people here run wheel locks? I used to but don't on my current car. Wondering if I should do that again?

cdf231bb.jpg

5fff5ee8.jpg

I hate ta tell you this but these wheel locks aren't a "one size fits all" key. Each lock has a different pattern so one key won't work on all of them.

They are coded so whoever has a key with the same code as yours can use your key. Everyone else can't.

I use locks on my wheels but I'm not real sure why...well, I KNOW why....because they came on the car. But it's not like I leave my car parked where I can't see it or something like that. And when it's in my garage I have a bar across my man-door to the outside of the house and I have double padlocks on my roll-up doors so even if they got IN the garage, they ain't gettin' my car (or either one of my Harley's) OUT....unless they do it one part at a time, up a couple of stairs and through the door that goes into the kitchen! And that door (along with the side man-door) is alarmed with my home security system.

But as they say, "better safe than sorry"....but I guess "they" also say, "If they really want it, THEY are gonna get it!!"

Phill

I hate ta tell you this but these wheel locks aren't a "one size fits all" key. Each lock has a different pattern so one key won't work on all of them.

:doh: I guess that would make sense... scratch it then... in the trash she goes.

How about everyone else?

"Swear by wheel locks"?

"They just came with the car"?

"I don't live in the ghetto and when's the last time you heard of someone's wheel being stolen"?

????

...And when it's in my garage I have a bar across my man-door to the outside of the house and I have double padlocks on my roll-up doors so even if they got IN the garage, they ain't gettin' my car (or either one of my Harley's) OUT....unless they do it one part at a time, up a couple of stairs and through the door that goes into the kitchen! And that door (along with the side man-door) is alarmed with my home security system.

But as they say, "better safe than sorry"....but I guess "they" also say, "If they really want it, THEY are gonna get it!!"

Phill

All you need now is a pit-bull and you will be covered completely. :P

And I use wheel locks too...

"I don't live in the ghetto and when's the last time you heard of someone's wheel being stolen"?

If you have a Super Snake or KR, I'd be more concerned with the center caps!

Phill

The Stang I have now came with them. I perfer NOT to have them but I plan to put this Car up for sale in 2 Weeks so it does not matter.

testGT350 hope your up grading.I hate it when i hear someone is selling do to financial reason.

Remember you may not live in the ghetto but sometimes the ghetto will come to you-

My neighbor had there wheels ripped off an Escalade a week after a landscape company had finished up a large project in the neighborhood. It was shocking with a dose of reality all in one.

Yes I use them, factory style or $25 for a set of gorrilla wheel locks is cheap piece of mind.

testGT350 hope your up grading.I hate it when i hear someone is selling do to financial reason.

I change Cars about as fast as some People on here change there underware................................... :hysterical:

Dealership kept the ones that were supposed to come with the car, so when I bought my Razors, I got a set of the McGards.

I had flashbacks to 15 years ago when I lost my key, and the car wasn't worth as much as the wheels. I remember heating 'em up with a torch, then hammering a socket onto them to get 'em off.

Jer

Yes I do!!!! Do not lose the key or misplace the Mcgard form that came with the set!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I purchsed my SGT the OEM wheel lock key was missing,

I found out most Ford dealers have a selection of them in the service dept, the dealer I went to had about 20 of them on a wire ring. They handed the whole ring to me and said find the one that fits and we'll order it in by part number.

Mcgard and Gorilla both have a code in the packaging to indentify the correct key,

I keep the code with the records of the vehicle.

=-=-=-=-=-=-

Yes. I still have the Mcgard set that came with the car but I now use a set of Gorilla locks since they match the lug nuts that came with the Razors.

gor-71631n_w.jpg

Do you happen to know exactly which set you bought? I have Razors too. I want to order a set, but it looks like there are quite a few parts numbers. :headscratch:

The factory Ford locks fit my razors.

My sport trac doesn't have them but I'd be happy if the horrible rims on it went missing....would love to put some razors on it.

I use the McGuard locks that came with the "security" package. First thing I did was call McGuard and order a second key and one extra lock nut. That's for each car.

There is at least one track-day sanctioning body that deprecates locks on track-day cars. I have a set of not-locking nuts to replace the locking nuts when I go on track. Yes, I do torque the locks as well as the regular nuts.

I started using locks when, after a 1972 club meeting at my home, I went out in the morning and found my car sitting on the ground, mostly. They apparently just undid all the lug nuts and rocked the car until it fell off the wheels. They got one front wheel and one back wheel. Not even a matched pair. the other wheels were stuck under the fenders - one fender sitting on top of the still-vertical tire, giving me a custom flare-job on the right front. I had engraved my driver license number on the machined face of each wheel, and on the back of one spoke on each wheel. Never heard a word about them, ever again. Insurance bought replacements, very quickly.

Do you happen to know exactly which set you bought? I have Razors too. I want to order a set, but it looks like there are quite a few parts numbers. :headscratch:

I remember buying it from Summit. I think I ordered the Acorn style conical 60*, 1/2-20 RH thread, with a 3/4" key. My lug nuts use a 3/4" wrench so I wanted the same size. I think the number was Gorilla Automotive 71481N. The locking nuts a tad bigger than the lug nuts but you can't tell unless you really look closely.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GOR-71481N/

Archived