TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Cockeyed tail pipes

: When I plunked down $72,000+ for my 2011 GT350, I did not check the option box for cockeyed tail pipes. They were fine when the car arrived in mid-December, but have gotten worse with everytime I have taken it out. 'She' has only 325 miles on it. Anyone else having this problem? Anyone else contact Shelby for a fix...at their expense? Roger, would appreciate your input. Ciao and God bless...Jon R/Evans, GA :rant2:

post-31695-0-38026100-1298842964_thumb.jpg

post-31695-0-38026100-1298842964_thumb.jpg

: When I plunked down $72,000+ for my 2011 GT350, I did not check the option box for cockeyed tail pipes. They were fine when the car arrived in mid-December, but have gotten worse with everytime I have taken it out. 'She' has only 325 miles on it. Anyone else having this problem? Anyone else contact Shelby for a fix...at their expense? Roger, would appreciate your input. Ciao and God bless...Jon R/Evans, GA :rant2:

Jon

It's every car. You are right they should have a fix for us but any reputable shop can fix the problem. Just way too much torque for the exhaust hangers. We might need solid motor mounts also.

Must be the same "welder" that messed up all the LH Muffler brackets on the early 2007 Shelby GT's finger.gif

And I do feel your pain, as I was thinking the same thing a few years ago myself...

Plunk down a wad of $$ (remember this is early 2007) only to have something as simple as a 50-cent metal bracket banging against the rear frame rail...

But the good news, is that it should be fixed under warranty, and the only thing you will be out of is a little time and frustration until it is fixed happy%20feet.gif

Drive Safe and Enjoy your GT350 shift.gif

I experienced this with Borla stainless exhaust system before.

My solution was to get it set straight and tac weld all the joints by the clamps.

The individual exhaust sections expand at different rates and that makes it difficult to get the clamps to hold.

A good muffler shop will fix this in 10 minutes.

Also, if you are getting a rattle under heavy acceleration, the exhaust might be rubbing against the axle slightly. Its also a simple fix, but I had that minor issue as well.

I know everyone wants their cars to be perfect at delivery, but these are very minor challenges we face with this build. There could be thousands of issues that could rear its ugly head with a car built like this, but to only have minor tweaking of the exhaust pipes to get them just right, I think we are very lucky! Historically, if you go back to all the greatest cars built over the last 40-50 years, they almost always had a weakpoint or a problem area that would always be a trademark "feature" of that particular car. We should count our blessings that this is truly the only issue we have.

We dont have hood scoop issues like the SGT, or for those of us with painted stripes, stripe issues like with the GT500, and adjusting the exhaust takes a socket, not an overhaul.

When you get to the end of the day, I wish Borla would have put out a better product for fit, but for sound, it is the best I have ever heard, and even with the exhaust slip, I wouldnt DARE consider changing to another brand or style.

Working on the fix guys.

Ron,

Craig will be in touch tomorrow.

Roger

This is good news :happy feet: . I agree, if this is the only 'problem' I have, I am an extremely fortunate fellow. I have not stopped grinning since taking delivery of the car. I cannot see the exhaust tips but I want the Corvette, Camaro and Dodge boys to have a nice view as I blow past them. LMBO :shift:

Ciao and God bless...Jon R/Evans, GA

By the way, I think you mean Jon, Roger

This is good news :happy feet: . I agree, if this is the only 'problem' I have, I am an extremely fortunate fellow. I have not stopped grinning since taking delivery of the car. I cannot see the exhaust tips but I want the Corvette, Camaro and Dodge boys to have a nice view as I blow past them. LMBO :shift:

Ciao and God bless...Jon R/Evans, GA

By the way, I think you mean Jon, Roger

If it gets any closer to the valance, the pipe will melt it. Looks like a warranty job, but if it were me, I'd crawl under there and try to adjust the clamps... or not.

The issue is not the pipes or design. We have a new clamp from the manufacture with a different specification we are trying now.

If you speak with our vendor, one of the issues is the stainless and the long run of the mid pipe on the 2011 5.0. It requires "a few" heat cycles and then a re-position and re-torque. Even with the new clamp.

The right and left sides are not symmetrical in design. The left is a different design on the mid-pipe from the right. Still working with the vendor on engineering.

Will keep all posted.

Roger

The issue is not the pipes or design. We have a new clamp from the manufacture with a different specification we are trying now.

If you speak with our vendor, one of the issues is the stainless and the long run of the mid pipe on the 2011 5.0. It requires "a few" heat cycles and then a re-position and re-torque. Even with the new clamp.

The right and left sides are not symmetrical in design. The left is a different design on the mid-pipe from the right. Still working with the vendor on engineering.

Will keep all posted.

Roger

Thank you for the update.

John

Archived