TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Quality is Job 1 for 2012

ChrisSD

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2012-Shelby-GT500-/150569283508?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item230ea0efb4#ht_1037wt_1167

Now, there is something missing! You will notice the side stripe is missing on the passenger side, it came from the factory like this! We are going to order the stripe, but will let the new owner decide if they want to install it or not.

ROFL- this confirms my belief that no one even LOOKS at these things before they are shipped....

Looks like Recaros are full manual.

Thanks, could be in here too though.

I swear - Ford is selling $60,000 Mustangs and doesn't pay any closer attention to them than a $12,000 Focus. It's really aggravating to see things like this and brings back memories of my experience with my 2010! The workers clearly couldn't care less. Imagine the little things they miss if they can't even notice a GIGANTIC STRIPE missing?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2012-Shelby-GT500-/150569283508?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item230ea0efb4#ht_1037wt_1167

ROFL- this confirms my belief that no one even LOOKS at these things before they are shipped....

Looks like Recaros are full manual.

I had a 99 SVT Contour, that when it was delivered brand new, I noticed it had the entire wrong brake assembly on one side. One side had the SVT stuff, the otherside did not. Rotor, caliper, etc... It took the dealer quite a while to figure out, because they needed all the compononets to change it over, and it seemed they could get almost no factory support with the problem.

I swear - Ford is selling $60,000 Mustangs and doesn't pay any closer attention to them than a $12,000 Focus. It's really aggravating to see things like this and brings back memories of my experience with my 2010! The workers clearly couldn't care less. Imagine the little things they miss if they can't even notice a GIGANTIC STRIPE missing?

It is called "Production Manufacturing".

These are NOT hand built cars like a MBZ AMG, where two guys are assigned to a build from start to finish (and how Volvo used to be).

As long as it is a "Production" vehicle, you will experience human error somewhere along the production line (and/or QC checkpoint).

That's life,

Phill (i.e. "Shit Happens")

It is called "Production Manufacturing".

These are NOT hand built cars like a MBZ AMG, where two guys are assigned to a build from start to finish (and how Volvo used to be).

As long as it is a "Production" vehicle, you will experience human error somewhere along the production line (and/or QC checkpoint).

That's life,

Phill (i.e. "Shit Happens")

BMW's aren't hand built, and you get a hell of a lot better quality out of a $35k 328 than a $60k Mustang. That's all I am saying. The bottom line is "oh damn, didn't catch that missing stripe" is a sign of GROSS incompetance and complete lack of giving a shit. Just because we all love the GT500 doesn't mean Ford shouldn't step up the quality QUITE A BIT! They are the ones using "Quality is Job 1" as a slogan - live up to it. My car had numerous gross errors that clearly indicated it wasn't simple "human error somewhere along the production line" but was in fact a sign of serious issues along the *entire line*. Fit/finish, driveline, engine, interior, paint, supplier issues - you name it my car had it. At 3,000 miles my car was on its 3rd right rear axle. Took 3 to get one with less than .020" runout and didn't squeal like a banshee. New fuel pump a 11 miles. Ugh- just search my posts.

I still love the damn things, SVT designed an amazing car. Ford's UAW staffed production line and crap suppliers manage to ruin a lot of them. I want Ford to fix it.

Everyone makes mistakes.

Sometimes big ones.

Have any of you been to the plant where the GT500 is made to confirm that workers there don't care?

The proof is in the car! 1 mistake- ok, 2 mistakes - damn, 3 mistakes - well damn, 4 mistakes - hm, 5 mistakes - WTF?, 20 mistakes - they don't care!

As for a missing stripe - Sorry, no human with an IQ over 70 would miss that if they cared. If Ford is employing workers with Trisomy-21, fine they get a pass.

The proof is in the car! 1 mistake- ok, 2 mistakes - damn, 3 mistakes - well damn, 4 mistakes - hm, 5 mistakes - WTF?, 20 mistakes - they don't care!

As for a missing stripe - Sorry, no human with an IQ over 70 would miss that if they cared. If Ford is employing workers with Trisomy-21, fine they get a pass.

The mustang had a PPH of 77 last I checked. That's pretty darn good.

Have you never made a massive mistake?

The mustang had a PPH of 77 last I checked. That's pretty darn good.

Have you never made a massive mistake?

15 years in my career- no, nothing like that. I'd lose my job.

UAW workers are paid wages higher than the average MBA when you factor in their insane pensions and all the other perks - there should be zero tolerance for this crap. If they were paid $8/hr then I'd cut some slack. The problem is they have nearly guaranteed jobs - this creates a worker who doesn't care. It shows in the final product.

15 years in my career- no, nothing like that. I'd lose my job.

UAW workers are paid wages higher than the average MBA when you factor in their insane pensions and all the other perks - there should be zero tolerance for this crap. If they were paid $8/hr then I'd cut some slack. The problem is they have nearly guaranteed jobs - this creates a worker who doesn't care. It shows in the final product.

The UAW I spoke to were VERY proud of their jobs, it showed in their work, and they do skilled labor. I am fine with them making $30/hr + beni's.

Again, have you actually met the workers you are lambasting? Until you meet them in the workplace, I think it's unfair to categorize them as uncaring about their job.

Also, regardless of income, they should do a good job. It's not like someone held a gun to their head and made them work for a set pay. That goes for everyone out there with a job.

Back in 1993 we bought a Taurus that had the driver side molding/badge with the words "Taurus GL" installed upside down. The dealer was very chagrined when we pointed it out and proceeded to order a new side molding just in case anything got damaged if they tried to take out the existing one and turn it right side up. So we had to drive it for a few days while we waited for the part to come in. All was fine until one day a guy in a Chevy truck pulled alongside me on the freeway and started making all sorts of obnoxious gestures, pointing and laughing, etc... After that I covered up the upside-down name with duct tape until the molding part came in and the dealer fixed it. Less embarrassing to drive around with duct tape than an upside down badge.

Amazing that the same quality issues are happening nearly 20 years later.

I would have to say FORD needs to pay more attention to QUALITY CONTROL.

When I bought my 2008 GT500 I didnt see it until they took it out of the showroom floor, My drivers side fender wasnt lined up right and my drivers side mud flap was missing. 50k for a car that was messed up but I was stupid and wanted the car. Had to go thru hell to get them to fix the fender and it took 2 months to get the Mud Flap.I think Ford needs to fire Quality control personel and get somebody that can do the job right or lower their prices alot.

Hell tack another $100 on the car and have a guy spend an hour going over each GT500 that came off the line with a checklist. It would save us all a lot of grief. Ford won't ever get to that next level until they provide ownership experiences that are at the price level of the car they are selling.

And the full manual seat...C'Mon man!

Hell tack another $100 on the car and have a guy spend an hour going over each GT500 that came off the line with a checklist.

When I worked at Carminatti Olds in Monterey CA (about 1973, 1974?) we had that...a guy htat spent a hour (usually, over 1 hr) going over each CAR that came off the transportor. The invoice description called it a "Pre-Delivery Inspection" (now known as a PDI).

Our PDI guy went over ever new car with a fine tooth comb. He checked ALL seams (door seams, hood/fender seams, trunk seams, window fitment, etc.) for fitment. He checked every single switch, light, latch, handle, knob, etc.

He checked the paint job for full coverage, drips, runs, orange peel, etc. Emblems for location and level and that they were all there.

He checked and topped off EVERY liquid in the car. He checked ALL tire pressures including the spare, etc. etc. etc.

He had a clipboard with a checklist that was at least 2 or 3 pages long. Like I said, a FINE TOOTH COMB.

The first time I ever saw him do a PDI I could not believe how thorough he was. I figured it would'a all been done at the factory and when I told him that, he pretty much just laughed at me.

NOW DAYS, a PDI is pretty much a fluid check (it's basically a JOKE). And that's IF they actually check the fluids!

Oh yeah, they still get paid 1 flat rate hr for a PDI, just like Bob did back at Carminatti Olds in the early 70's)

You pay for that PDI too. It's called "Dealer Prep".....more like Dealer Preperation H.

Phill

Hell tack another $100 on the car and have a guy spend an hour going over each GT500 that came off the line with a checklist. It would save us all a lot of grief. Ford won't ever get to that next level until they provide ownership experiences that are at the price level of the car they are selling.

And the full manual seat...C'Mon man!

I don`t think they need to tack on more money as they make enough off the unit as it is.. They to have better Quality check when they are being built..

I don`t think they need to tack on more money as they make enough off the unit as it is.. They to have better Quality check when they are being built..

I agree, given the type of car it is I can't see why it couldn't go through an extra level of QC. Crap like this shouldn't leave the factory. It's fine to make a mistake but it should be caught before it leaves the plant.

This is our car. The car is PERFECT except for the stripe. There was a note inside the car that said to send the car back to the factory because the heat extractor didnt fit right. So it must have been QCd. If EVERY GT500 has side stripes then I would agree with yall on the QC. But ALOT of black cars with SVT are stripe delete cars. This guy is looking at HUNDREDS of cars a day. Ten minutes earlier he was looking at a stripe delete car, next is a car with stripes, next is this car. Stripe on one side CHECK. Stripe deleted CHECK.

He found a big problem and got it fixed. I posted this car on TS on Saturday and ALOT of folks didnt see it.

Factory has already sent the stripe. Will be here tomorrow.

MM

This is our car. The car is PERFECT except for the stripe. There was a note inside the car that said to send the car back to the factory because the heat extractor didnt fit right. So it must have been QCd. If EVERY GT500 has side stripes then I would agree with yall on the QC. But ALOT of black cars with SVT are stripe delete cars. This guy is looking at HUNDREDS of cars a day. Ten minutes earlier he was looking at a stripe delete car, next is a car with stripes, next is this car. Stripe on one side CHECK. Stripe deleted CHECK.

He found a big problem and got it fixed. I posted this car on TS on Saturday and ALOT of folks didnt see it.

MM

It's probably not just one guy. On my tour through Bowling Green, I learned that there are 4-6 (don't remember, either 4 or 6, I've been up for 20+ hours now, turning in in a few!) people who go over the car after EVERYTHING is done before it is shipped. They are the last line against defects, and their sole job is to find un-even panels, paint flaws, trim flaws, etc. I suspect that Ford also has a team of multiple people instead of just one guy.

Every now and then a problem car STILL slips out of BG. Noone is perfect. Not even a team of people.

A lot of people may not know this but these stripes are done at a body shop offsite that is NOT Ford owned.

My own GT500 came with the deck lid buffed to hell by these people because they scratched it when they removed the wing to stripe it. I didn't notice it until a few days after I picked up the car, and the Dealership was 3 hours away so I didn't feel like taking it back to have them deal with it.

The same thing happened to the other Black GT500 at my local dealer and they had to repaint the deck lid but they wouldn't approve mine since I didn't buy it from them.

The people who stripe these cars need fired, but I don't think Ford has another option that makes sense.

My sister's brand new 2011 Audi w/e (cost more than most of our cars): trunk wouldn't lock and back window wouldn't go down all the way. They gave her a loaner for *two weeks to fix a brand new car.... Don't let me start on the problems I've had with new cars out of the gate. Different stuff happens to everyone, it's how you React to situations that makes you who you are. It's not like it was deceptive, just an accident (very minor imo). Spend 100K+ on cars and you won't have as many of these issues or try to learn to look past small mistakes. Life is too short to get wrapped up in "Things you Can't Change" worry about what you can change (like thinking WTF, that McD's screwed up my order!!! - well hey jackass your order cost $4.00 and the person serving you barely makes much more than that in an hour...what do you expect?). :confused:

MM

Michael, you're a stand up guy but don't make excuses for the idiot that didn't walk around the entire car. Something like this should stick out like a sore thumb.

Michael, you're a stand up guy but don't make excuses for the idiot that didn't walk around the entire car. Something like this should stick out like a sore thumb.

Why are you so keen to blame Ford?

These cars are not shipped in enclosed trailers. Some little brat could have ripped the stripe off while the hauler was parked overnight en route to delivery. There are just so many things that could have happened, yet we are assuming it was Ford's fault.

Archived