TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Purpose built Texas Mile Super Snake Ready to Roll for March

That's this weekend!

SWEEEEET!

I'm flying out Friday and should be there Friday afternoon checking out the Revan/Lund Racing efforts. Anybody wants to match a handle to a face I should be wearing my black "San Jose Nights" streetrod baseball cap.

My luck they will have already hit the number and into the Champagne by the time I get there....

Go Van!

+1 Good luck Van! You will be needing it!

Heard from Van a few hours ago. Made one run yesterday, very conservative, and a/c compressor seized. Ran 193.1 shifting at 5500. They re-grouped, found a CJ a/c delete, and made one pass so far today. Is VERY HOT with about a 10-15 knot cross-head wind. They didn't get to make their first pass this morning when it was cool b/c a vette went off track right before they were ready to run. After track clean up, with temps rising by the second, car went a 194.7 on a conservative pass. Right now they're tweaking the tune to adjust for conditions before they head back out. That's the latest.

Heard from Van a few hours ago. Made one run yesterday, very conservative, and a/c compressor seized. Ran 193.1 shifting at 5500. They re-grouped, found a CJ a/c delete, and made one pass so far today. Is VERY HOT with about a 10-15 knot cross-head wind. They didn't get to make their first pass this morning when it was cool b/c a vette went off track right before they were ready to run. After track clean up, with temps rising by the second, car went a 194.7 on a conservative pass. Right now they're tweaking the tune to adjust for conditions before they head back out. That's the latest.

Glad to hear about the update. Is there any video that will follow? Hopefully Van and the guys will be able to get everything all worked out and that snake will be able to reach 200 MPH. It is time to show that a Mustang really can make it to 200 MPH.

Just talked to Van again. A bit of good news before the bad news. The car was screamin and then the tranny let go on the 4-5 shift, so they are officially done for the weekend. Jon and Van were working with another GT500 that ended up going 198. In comparing the datalogs from both runs, the SS would have run 200+ had the tranny not let go. Van said, "That's racin'." So there you have it. Stay tuned for Texas Mile, 10/11!

[Repost from my report in another thread]

I'm sitting at the airport reflecting on how fun it was to go to my first Texas Mile. There were a lot of Shelbys present (12-14) including some 2011's.

Van and Jon built a real beast for Chris. Massive respect given for that ride by the other drivers and the staff at the mile. That car has become a rock star on it's own. Watching Chris talk to all the people who constantly come by shooting and asking about the car it's almost like watching a NASCAR interview of Carl Edwards or Jeff Gordon. You can hear that car howling down the mile from pretty much all points up and down the route. The number of people involved in trying to help salvage the weekend from the A/C comp seize Friday afternoon/evening was great to see. I even got to help out.

Having watched the last 2 of the 3 runs the car made, that last one it was really moving. You wouldn't think you'd see the difference between a 194+ run and a potential 200+mph run but you really can. Watching from the half mile point, it was clear the late Saturday afternoon run was headed for a big number. A real bummer the trans went south right at the point of the payoff. There were a lot of cars that also had mechanical issues and wound up on the trailer before this one.

I have a new respect for what it takes to get those big numbers. It may be some work to throw on a bigger SC or a pulley and do a dyno pass HP number but it's a WHOLE different level trying to go fast at the standing mile. There were a LOT of cars there (hundreds?) and maybe 50 bikes. That Super Snake is probably one of the 5 fastest to roll the mile this weekend.

The big take away from the weekend was the chance to meet Van, Jon, Chris, and a good bunch bunch of Shelby owners. The camaraderie of all the milers is beyond awesome. Getting the chance to see Chris blast his car to a record for fastest Super Snake at the Texas Mile was a huge bonus and all of it well worth the trip from California.

Archived