TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Try to get new front tires - Goodyear F-1 255/45ZR/18

snblaw

I needed four new tires, so my local Ford dealership put the rears on saying the fronts were back ordered. Well, Goodyear has stopped production on the Goodyear F-1 255/45ZR/18's and Goodyear is now in production on a version 2 (which if purchased cannot be run with the old 285/40ZR/18's on the back) - so I called Shelby and talked to Gary Patterson - he rocks because he is sending me two (slightly used) front tires for a very reasonable price....lucky for me...

I called several Goodyear stores - most of the guys were idiots - tried to get $320 per tire - which are the super snake front tires - and only found one guy who knew was going on and he did not have a date for delivery on version 2 - just said the old and version 2 are incompatible

I needed four new tires, so my local Ford dealership put the rears on saying the fronts were back ordered. Well, Goodyear has stopped production on the Goodyear F-1 255/45ZR/18's and Goodyear is now in production on a version 2 (which if purchased cannot be run with the old 285/40ZR/18's on the back) - so I called Shelby and talked to Gary Patterson - he rocks because he is sending me two (slightly used) front tires for a very reasonable price....lucky for me...

Same problem here. Called around trying to get some Goodyear F1 Supercars for the front and nobody had anything stock. Everyone said Goodyear F1 Supercars on back order unless I want to pay ~$300 for GT500KR version. So I checked tirerack.com which had them in stock and them shipped to a local Tire shop. Hope to get them mounted tomorrow. They had 5 in stock I bought 2 so should be 3 left. Good luck everyone!

Just curious why Goodyear decided to make two versions of a tire with the same name. Sales guys always try to sell me the ~$300 GT500KR versions!

Just curious why Goodyear decided to make two versions of a tire with the same name. Sales guys always try to sell me the ~$300 GT500KR versions!

I asked around about that over a year ago and was told that the KR version has a different rubber compound. I did not gain any information about just what was different about that compound that justifies the price difference. Maybe some of the KR guys know.

Jim

I'm curious... Why can't the "new" tires be run on the front with the "old" tires on the back??? Doesn't make sense to me, but then I am not a tire expert.

Call me crazy but doesn't the handbook say to replace all four tyres at once!!! and you can't even rotate the tyres on the shelby as they are staggered, Nutty like I am going to chuck 2 good front tyres when changing the rears.

The KR rubber has a much lower wear rating, cost a ton more and I assume stick like poo to a sneaker.

Peter

Call me crazy but doesn't the handbook say to replace all four tyres at once!!! and you can't even rotate the tyres on the shelby as they are staggered, Nutty like I am going to chuck 2 good front tyres when changing the rears.

The KR rubber has a much lower wear rating, cost a ton more and I assume stick like poo to a sneaker.

Peter

Peter - I just replaced the backs and my Ford dealer said the fronts were on back order - that was a week and half ago - so I am shit out of luck except for getting slightly used ones (referred to as "street tires" by Shelby as opposed to the KR tires) - so yes - I am trying to replace all 4 at once

Archived